Palm nailer...

Started by NM_Shooter, July 09, 2009, 07:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

I bought two of the harbor freight palm nailers yesterday for $30 ea.  I had hoped to use them with the 60d spikes for building my beams.  Brought them home, and the nose on the thing would not fit over the heads of the spikes.   :(

Thought I might keep them anyway, as they would be safer for the kids to use to help drive nails.  Tried to drive two 16d nails with one.  It bent the heads on both, and then the thing seized up   >:(

Took them back to harbor freight today.  Bought a Bostich kit for $70.  has three noses (one for spikes!)  Much more HP than the harbor freight.  Drives 16d nails like crazy.  I tried a 60d in an oak rail road tie.  It sunk that spike in less than 6 seconds. 

Might not be a good tool for a kid though.  It does put a lot of vibration on your wrist. 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

davidj

I bought one of the Harbor Freight palm nailers a couple of months back and they've managed to get nails into places for me where I wouldn't have got them otherwise.  They do seem to leak air, though, and they're much better plugged into a decent compressor rather than a cheapo pancake-style one (I've worn out two of the cheap Porter Cable/Husky compressors and finally splashed out on a DeWalt last week).

I should use this is a reminder to put some more oil in mine...

FrankInWI

Bought a Bosch from AMazon a few years back when we did the main framing on our place.  I found it extreemly valuable in many situations.  To help prevent the tip effect on 2nd story dormer walls, I drove barn spikes through the floor plate into the sill beam bellow. 
It grove those giant ribbed holders with such eash.... dozens of them.  Easy job with........gashed fingers, nails and temperment without.  I'm glad I have that on my tool shelf.
god helps those who help them selves

Don_P

I bought a couple of Danair's when they first came out years ago, I think they were $325 apiece and worth every penny IMO. As far as I know they still make them, they had a very wide selection of noses. From trim to 12" spikes, body hammers, rivet drivers, etc.
I'm using a Bostitch now that I like. If you're doing alot a gel glove helps with the vibration, but I'd agree, not a tool to start a kid down the road to carpel tunnel on.

secordpd

Glad for this subject, almost bought one at HF the other day, then remembered what I read here...Saved me 30 bucks....   I guess I'll get the Bostitch .
"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford       Just call me grasshopper Master Po.

NM_Shooter

Just remember that if you forget the darn thing at home it does not matter if you have the Harbor Freight or a more expensive version.  My palm nailer was the thing that I needed this weekend.  Oops.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

glenn kangiser

I bought the Senco with the 60d spike nose adapter.  It works great.

I even use it to drive roofing nails with the seals into the high rib of galvanized corrugated sheeting.  Puts them right down.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

secordpd

Thanx Glen, I'll look into the Senco
"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford       Just call me grasshopper Master Po.

Windpower

oh great, another must have tool

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

glenn kangiser

One can never have too many tools...

The palm nailer is very handy and safer than a nail gun.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.