furring out a basment wall--some questions

Started by MikeT, July 19, 2009, 09:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

It is time on the project to make some decisions on the basement walls.  I want to fur them out but I have some questions.  First let me tell you that the main wall I am wanting to fur out is a bit less than 28 feet long and is poured concrete.  On each perpendicular side, the walls are partially concrete then 2x6 on top.  The concrete wall is also a retaining wall and has dimpled drainage plastic on the backside that is then filled with compacted drainage rock.

Here are my questions:

1. Should I put a vapor barrier on the concrete (like plastic or tar paper) before I put on the furring strips?
2. Is it okay to go with 2x4s, face nailed (shooting the nails into the concrete)?  That would give me 1 1/2" for polystyrene insulation...
3.Should my furring strips be nailed at 24" o.c.?
4. On the sides where I have an 8" concrete wall 4' high then  2x6 framed wall on top, should I go ahead and just fur the whole wall so it is one thickness and the just fill the space with insulation?

Thanks,
mt

PS: i decided against trying steel studs as a first time effort--I have the wood, so I might as well use it.

rwanders

1. I think 6 mil plastic against the concrete would be cheap insurance.  It may not be advisable for the 2x6 framed portion if that would result in a double vapor barrier and moisture trap. (I assume you would use a VB there under the sheetrock if that portion of the wall is exposed to the outdoors).

2. Flat 2x4's would work fine with your 1 1/2 poly board or you could use 2x2's
3. 24" OC should work if you use rigid insulation----otherwise I would go for 16" OC to avoid wavy sheetrock.

4. Matter of taste----I would fur it out overall to avoid the little shelf at the 4' level.

Many others here may have different (and better) suggestions!
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida