Hello -- New Guy from Nebraska

Started by Defender, May 14, 2018, 12:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Defender

Greetings, Everyone!  I'm new here, and I'm very excited to find a site like this.  I have a realistic dream (a.k.a. plans) to build my own off-grid home within the next couple of years.  In researching pillar and beam construction I found a great thread on here (https://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=7250.0) and read it cover to cover.  Besides learning far more than I expected about building my own place, I could see that there are a lot of nice folks on here who ask and answer questions.  I look forward to getting involved.

I live in central Nebraska, which is about half way to the middle of nowhere.  I'm from Colorado originally, and I plan to go home to the mountains.  For about 50 years my parents had a log cabin in the woods up in the mountains south of Estes Park.  They sold this when they got too old and feeble to enjoy spending time there anymore.  I realize that I can't afford land in that area, yet there are other places where nice land is less expensive.  I've been thinking about the southern part of the state, near New Mexico, but I'm open to ideas and suggestions about places I've never thought about.

As far as my skill level goes, I consider myself to be an enthusiastic amateur.  I tend to overthink and overbuild things, and I know that I've got lots to learn.  I know a little about a lot of things, and a lot about a few things.  It will be great to dive in and start learning here, and I hope to figure out areas in which I can contribute what I know.

In any event, I'm here and looking forward to getting acquainted!

Rys

Welcome! This site has been a godsend as I've been planning my build. Now that we're finalizing our plans I am so thankful for the many helpful people here!

Beavers

Welcome Defender.

Glad you found my cabin thread helpful...if nothing else it's good lesson on some things not to do  d*  I would also consider myself an enthusiastic amateur.  Luckily there are quite a few guys on here with a lot of knowledge that they are willing to share.

How big of a cabin are you planning on building?

Dave Sparks

w*

A way to quickly get things going for a home is to build a lockable shell with help from a local.  You can finish it, add on, and work at a more comfortable pace.

For Offgrid you need a source of water (rainfall or well)  and a source for heating which can be propane, pellets or firewood offgrid. The sun as a power source has never been easier or more affordable.  Good luck in New Mexico! beautiful place!
"we go where the power lines don't"