Pole Barn Project

Started by HarleyDude, January 13, 2018, 04:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarleyDude

I have been on/off this forum for some time now. Mostly just reading and admiring others projects.

I am looking to build a 24x36x12 cover for my travel trailer. I have googled without much success on find some plans for that size. Can any one direct me to a source or could someone here answer some questions?

1. What size posts should I use?
2. The front and back need to be open to get the trailer in/out, what size beams would I need to cover the 12' width?
3. I would also like to extend a lean to type cover on one side of the cover. How would that affect construction of the main cover?

That's it for now, as I move forward I am sure I will have more questions.

TIA
Rick Fox

Beavers

Not sure if you have Menards in your area.  They have a really handy free online design tool.

https://www.menards.com/main/e-PostFrame.html

ChugiakTinkerer

HarleyDude,

Depending on your location, your local jurisdictional authority such as the county building inspector may have an opinion on how you should build your pole barn.  I would check in with them first to see if there are any requirements.

Other than that, to span 24' you'll probably want to be using trusses.  They come engineered for your conditions and you can usually get them unloaded from the truck onto your roof.  It makes getting the roof framed really easy and often for the same price as it would take to stick-frame rafters.

Assuming you are building a gable roof and the doors are on each gable end, the header over your garage doors won't have to be insanely large because the side walls will be supporting the load of the roof.  But it may still need to be stronger than can be framed with dimensional lumber.  Your local lumber yard that sells glulam or LSVs can run the calculations based on your local conditions (snow, wind, seismic) and size up the appropriate beam.

My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

HarleyDude

Thank you for your comments.  I just realized that I incorrectly stated the dimensions, should have been 12x36x12.

Now that we have more information on the trailer, I have changed the dimensions to 14x36x14.

I will reach out to the local authority, if I can find out who that is, for more information.

Thanks!!

ChugiakTinkerer

A temporary structure might do the trick if you're just looking for a roof over your RV. 

http://www.shelterlogic.com/shop/peak-gray-std-4d68c3

HarleyDude

Thank you for the link, however this will be a permanent spot for our trailer.

This is what I am looking for. http://www.arkbuildings.com/images/Roof_Only_Williams_99.jpg

I also spoke with the local authority and they informed me that my area does not require any building permits or plans to be approved. In any case I want to build this so that it will last and also be safe as we will be staying in the trailer for long weekends, holidays and such. I did find out that the closet city that requires permits uses the 2006 IBC.

I have also reached out to a company that sells prefabbed pole barn kits for further information.

akwoodchuck

Quote from: HarleyDude on January 22, 2018, 06:13:57 PM

This is what I am looking for. http://www.arkbuildings.com/images/Roof_Only_Williams_99.jpg

Um....no, no, it definitely isn't.....yeesh, what a house of cards that is....if it hasn't failed already, it's days are numbered! After checking out your link, I googled some reviews of that outfit....the results are not surprising. Do yourself a huge favor and have a structural engineer approve any plans before you start....
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."

HarleyDude

akwoodchuck,

Thank you for your assessment, could you elaborate on it's problems? I do not want to make the same mistakes.

What do I need to provide to a structural engineer for approval?

MountainDon

The issue is that the roof on the posts has no bracing. In a wind that roof unit will oscillate.  An engineer will know how to design a structure once they know the location, winds, snow loads and if there are special seismic concerns. That's all location specific, more or less.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

akwoodchuck

Not only are the posts unbraced, the "trusses" are inadequate and bearing only on blocks fastened to the sides of the posts....the only good thing I can see is: yes the posts are embedded in the ground, but no telling how deep or if there are proper footers or uplift anchors. An engineer would need a set of plans, any local snow/wind/seismic data, and probably a soils report....

HarleyDude

I am beginning to think that the actual design of the structure may be beyond my scope of expertise. I have the snow/wind/seismic data and a general idea of what the design might look like but know easy way to draw it up. I have tried using SketchUp and learning curve looks large. Any suggestions?

Beavers

You're building yourself right? Why not just draw it all out on graph paper...doesn't have to be anything fancy. Sorry I can't help with pole building design...I don't know anything about it.

I'm sure if you want, you can learn what you need to build a safe and solid structure. There's nothing magic about engineering.  I bet with some Google searching you can find all kinds of design info...footing sizes, pole sizes, embed depth etc.   When in doubt over build it.  I hate the "you need an engineer" thing.  We aren't building sky scrapers here. You can figure this out yourself if you are willing to do your homework.  :)

Don_P

I would simply temper that with, you can figure it out yourself if you are willing to fail. Human nature is very good at ignoring or dismissing what we don't want to hear. We are all optimists in that regard. We tend to forget the error part of trial and error. It is a very unusual person who can look at a physics problem objectively while sitting on a thin wallet.

Design manual here;
http://www.nfba.org/index.php/resources/technical

several nearby truss shops also design and supply post frame buildings, the engineers are on staff. I just sent a former client to one for the design and supply of a shop building. They can supply crews but we will probably build it, they will design and supply it.

akwoodchuck

A google search for "pole barn collapse" can also be instructive....

this is a good read too:

http://www.hansenpolebuildings.com/2012/02/building-codes/

Adam Roby

If the trailer will not move from there, this might be an idea.

I am considering this type of roof on my trailer this summer, but extended over a deck.

Don_P

LOL  :D
actually though our inspector takes serious issue if we bear anything on a trailer or any structure built to those standards unless we can get a signoff from the manufacturer, which none would be inclined to give. There isn't really enough structure there to carry the load safely

NathanS

I saw this documentary "Secrets of the Forbidden City" where they spent a lot of time talking about how the structures have survived hundreds of earthquakes over the past 600 years.

The whole documentary was really good and I think you can the whole thing on youtube. Here is the clip of the model surviving a 10.1 earthquake that would wipe out pretty much any modern city or code built houses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w78Yb_aotH0

I didn't know about that pole building guide. If it wasn't $150 I'd like to read that.

ChugiakTinkerer

Quote from: Don_P on January 24, 2018, 08:04:32 AM
It is a very unusual person who can look at a ______ problem objectively while sitting on a thin wallet.

Thanks Don, I'm gonna steal that.  Maybe put it on t-shirts and make a million bucks.  I'll send you some royalty money when I retire.