Finish nail gun?

Started by williet, December 29, 2006, 03:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

williet

OK, I got the Ridgid framer and it seems fine for my needs ... now it's time for a finish gun. I would like to hear from all who have some imput on this. Is the Ridgid ok? ... or maybe the PC? Do I need to get one that has a slanted nail carrage or will a strait carrage do for crown and such? My only thought is to buy one that will use any brand of nail.

Thoughts??????

peg_688

I use Senco guns , they don't kick and bang like Bostich , they will shoot at least interchange brand nails , BUT they ( the cheap nails ) SUCK, :o the corrolations are weak the rows of nails pre loading into the gun break up easily so you have short strips of nails which leads to crooked feeding , and bad results. >:( >:(

Cheap gun [highlight]nails cost more[/highlight] in the long run with jambs , misfires , more messing with the gun clearing jambs , etc .

You won't be shoot enought nails to save any money but you'll sure set your self up for problems , which will lead you to think the guns suck / ain't worth the time .

On the other side if you buy cheap guns and shoot cheap nails you'll still be better off than learning how to hand nail properly.

G/L PEG  

Mommymem

We got a set of Husky finish nailers on sale from home depot for $100.. they nail straight nails. We've done pretty much all the interior sheathing with it and trim work. We've not had a single problem with it.

Just my $ .02

MountainDon

My only experience with finish air nailers are with the Senco brand and I love 'em! I have two, one shoots longer and the other shoots shorter nails. I've always bought the Senco nails and can't recall the last jam up.

peg_688

QuoteMy only experience with finish air nailers are with the Senco brand and I love 'em! I have two, one shoots longer and the other shoots shorter nails. I've always bought the Senco nails and can't recall the last jam up.

ats right Mtn D :)

John_M

My limited use of Porter Cable air guns has been great.  Just take care of them and oil them regularly.  Most big name brands will work will IF you take care of them properly.

williet

Thanks all.

I will not be using this to make a living. It will be used to hang some crown in my house, my parents house and I can hand nail moulding. I did it for several years on houses and had no problems.

I also build colonial and primitive furniture and was looking for a gun that would be satisfactory.