3D design for free

Started by vojacek, February 22, 2005, 12:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vojacek

ikea.com has a great 3D program that you can download for free. we're building the universal cottage as an addition to our existing house and will be making the kitchen 20x14. (we didn't need a downstairs bath or utility.) the ikea program allows you to plug in all appliances and cabinets too. :)

DavidLeBlanc

I downloaded and worked with this yesterday. While I was able to get something that gave me an idea of what my kitchen would look like, overall, I was disappointed.

First, I was only able to see from about 8" below counter height up to the ceiling.

Second, many units would not "place" - they would simply disappear once I released the mouse button.

Third, while I was able to place the "opposite" wall in my gally kitchen layout, I was unable to move the view point to see just one wall or the other or change the viewpoint to see both wall stretching away from me. This meant that, in 3-d view mode, I was looking at one wall through the other wall and it's cabinets.

All these could have been a matter of my lack of familiarity with the tool, but I simply did not see any way to move the vantage point except up and down and right to left (pivot). No way I saw to move from "here" to "there" and then look around.

All was not lost though - I found out you can get a lot of kitchen into an 8' x12' space, not the least of which was a 36" "water in door" fridge, TWO under-counter "roll-out" pantries, dishwasher and an oversized "country" stove hood! Extra wide aisle too!

vojacek

i didn't have any problems with it. i designed the 20x14 kitchen  but made wall A 34', which is the actual length of the house. this allowed me to zoom in and out with more space. if something would disapper, that means it won't fit, or the opening of the cabinet or appliance door is facing the wrong way. you have to rotate it before placing it. hope you have better luck.