100% Improvement, more or less

Started by MountainDon, October 10, 2011, 08:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

OK, I can't back up the claim of a 100% improvement with scientific measurements, but the new Lyman 66 aperture sight I installed on Karen's 454 Casull feels like it's at least that much better for these eyes of mine.

The left most hole was the first shot at 100 yards. I'm not always so lucky to even find the backboard at distance with the first shot. I figured I'd try it at that distance first as it saved moving the target closer. I was lucky I guess.  :D I adjusted the sight. The uppermost hole was shot number two. I adjusted the sight again. The next five shots were all within the 2 inch diameter ring with no further adjustments. That was using the large aperture disk and the stock front blade sight.

The sight was a tight fit; it couldn't be mounted much further back than 1/16" or the screws would have interfered with the sliding vertical bolt locking bars (or whatever their real name is. Any further forward and the spent cartridges would not have cleared the sight on ejection. Drilling and tapping two holes was well worth the effort for the ease of swinging the rifle on target.

Maybe I'll try a fiber optic or gold/white bead front sight to make it stand out even better? ???  Not sure.

45LC, 255 gr BVAC lead flat nose moderate load ammo, 900 FPS
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

I love aperture sights!   

I can shoot my .22 aperture bolt gun better than any gun I own. 

Excellent shooting!  Looks like a great gun!
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

NM_Shooter

Hey... if you really want to see what that gun will do, put an aperture front too.  Look at Lyman 17A.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

peternap

I have the same sight on my Guide Gun Don. Love it. I'm using a fire front sight and like it but miss the hood. They do make a hood with a cut to let light in, but haven't tried it. I've thought about a Globe front, so I'll take a look at NMS's link.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!