"New" loader tractor

Started by poppy, February 17, 2011, 08:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppy

Alasdair's thread on tractors got my juices flowing to get serious about getting a loader tractor rather than just checking what's on craigslist everyday.

There's a guy about 50 miles from me who always has one or more loader tractors on craigslist.  A recent listing was for an International 354 for $3775 delivered.

By the time I called him to come look at it, he had added another listing for an International 350 for $3175 delivered.  He had not yet posted pics. so I just figured I would check it out when I went to look at the 354.

Well the bottom line was that even though the 354 was about 20 years newer than the 350, it was in rougher shape and had a 3' manure bucket and no down pressure.

The 350 kept looking better and better so I pulled the trigger.  :D  It will be delivered next week, but I grabbed a few pics. before I left.

The 350 is a smooth running (no smoke) utility (or maybe Wheatland) model with 6 volt system, tight power stearing and an after market loader that has a straight 5' bucket with dual cylinders.  The unit has down pressure with quick disconnects on the hoses for ease of removeable.

The rear tires are loaded and all rubber is free of dry rot.  It has a 5 speed transmission with dual range, the seat is intact and adjustable.

It has live/independent PTO, quick hitch 2 pt. and 3pt. set-up with down pressure, auxillary hydraulics, and tool box.  Some of the guages and the lights work.

The dual range transmission shifts with the hand lever on the fly.  The sheet metal is straight and the only thing missing might be a battery box.  It even has a key.  

The seller was just finishing up replacing the plugs and had not tried to clean it up yet by the time I got there.  I'm psyched.   ;D

Windpower

Diamond in the rough Poppy

good on ya !
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

glenn kangiser

I think you will find it to be handier than pockets in your underwear, Poppy.  Nice buy.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

astidham

Good Find poppy,
please post more pics when you get it home!
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

Don_P

Sweet  [cool], a Sherwin Williams overhaul and you'll be good to go  ;D

poppy

Windpower
QuoteDiamond in the rough Poppy
Thanks, I lucked out on this one.  The seller buys a ton of loader tractors and he bought this one at a winter auction where the tractor quit running just before it was auctioned and he was the only bidder to see/hear it run, so he got a good deal.

Glenn
QuoteI think you will find it to be handier than pockets in your underwear, Poppy.  Nice buy.
Thanks  :-\ , I guess.

Don
QuoteSweet  , a Sherwin Williams overhaul and you'll be good to go 

How's this for a quick paint job?  ;)

It's hard to see in the pic., but IH/Farmall collectors like to put a little green tractor in a glass jar off the vent stack.

Finally arranged for the delivery.

I was hoping that all of the emblems were intact, but the IH one on the front is missing.

I expected this pic. to be more dramatic, but it's actually hard to tell that the front wheels are off the ground.

The dash is mostly intact, except that the cigar lighter is missing.  :(

I had forgotten to look in the tool box at the sellers, but there was not much anyway.

Just to verify that it is a Utility model.

Adding the loader required that the width be increased somewhat, plus the rear tires are bigger than standard at 13.6 x 28.  It doesn't have rear fenders and no sign that they were ever there.

Notice that they took the original light mounts off the front side just ahead of the model number and remounted them on the loader frame, although the lights themselves don't look original, but at least they work.  :P

poppy

I am a sucker for buying models of the vehicles that I have.  Here's my latest.