20x30 1 1/2 story cost?

Started by jcsforager, January 08, 2007, 08:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcsforager

Hello,

I am hoping to purchase the 20x30 1 1/2 story plans. Just went out to my land and staked out the footprint and seems to look like it will fit well.  Now I'm attemtping to wrap my head around the info I will need..long list here.  Regarding cost I realize the sky is the limit but I'm interesting in some examples by those using the plans or of any usual estimates that have been close.  Does anyone know of the approximate cost of simply the framing?  I'm planning to use as much second hand material as possible but am interested what others are spending for getting up the basic shell?  Any cost breakdowns would be helpfull.
Thanks,
john

glenn-k

Hi John.  Welcome to the forum.

I think this will help.  Vojaceks were really thrifty - did a good job of shopping so this should give you an idea of some of it.

http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1136860164/1#1

I'll see if I can find the rest of the thread.

John_M

I have built an 18 x 32 1 1/2 story cabin.  Very similar to John's plans!!

The foundation was about $4500 and the materials to frame I would estimate at about $8000 (this includes the door and windows and roofing).  I also used some Amish Sawn beams (4x12) and flooring for the second floor.  This added about $1400 to the cost.  

I can't say however I was very thrifty!!  If I needed it, I just went and got it!

Here are some pictures:

www.ourlittlecabin.blogspot.com

rwalter

Hello John,

The cost for my one going 20x32 project run approximately the following.

All the lumber for framing house (2x6 walls exterior walls, 2x4 interior walls, 1/2" plywood sheeting (walls + roof), 3/4" TG Plywood subfloor, 2x12" Floor joist, 2x10 roof rafters and ceiling joists) + porch, Andersen Window, doors, typar, 30 yr shingles, caulk, ice snow shield, all flashings, tar paper, nails ran around $11500 in the spring of 2005 (porch 2006). Spent around $4200 for a 5 foot deep 10" block crawl space foundation with 4" poured concrete floor. I also insulated the entire foundation with 2" R10 Dow Foam board and under the concrete floor and installed drain tile around the entire perimeter for a little more than $1000. Top that with a septic system $4500, stone driveway,  (2005) In 2006 vinyl siding $2000, Electric service (2005 pole service installed before construction) and (2006)components for underground conduit, rough electric wiring $2200, Rough plumbing $1000 plus one tiolet and hot water tank, wood stove and chimney $1300. I also spent around $3000 for labor to help speed the process using some local Amish workers.   All totalled up I've got to be pushing close to 30k and I still have to finish the interior ( dry wall, cabinets, electric baseboard heat insulations and trim work. I shooting for a total budget of around 40k so I should be close as long as I don't go over board in the kitchen and bathroom. I done the majority of labor myself with help from family minus the foundation, septic, bulldozing site work and roof framing and roofing. (Got to love those Amish workers for working on steep pitched roofs.)

http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1119804568

Sassy

JohnM & RWalter - both your places look great!  And congratulations, JohnM on the coming addition!  :)

glenn-k

Thanks to everyone who is sharing costs and figures.  This type of information is pretty hard to come by in other ways.

jcsforager

Yes, Your places look great! Thanks for sharing your cost experience. I purchased my plans yesterday and also had john email the materials list he compiled. Pretty extensive and will really help in my planning stages now that I can keep an eye out for used materials that I know I will need. My big question now is what type of foundation to do. I'm in Washington state, we do have earthquakes so I'm thinking minimum of concerete footer w/ stem wall but I like the idea of pouring a pad for thermal mass as well. Then I'm thinking of cost and also the permanance of all this and have been back and forth on the post and beam. It seems that for around 4-5K I can get my foundation in. I had ideas of doing this myself but reading from others it seems best to have this poured. Any insight/experience anyone has on weighing the pros/cons of foundation work and cost savings would help. Is using the concrete block a more cost effective approach to a solid concrete stem wall?
john