a pleasant surprise!

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, February 25, 2009, 12:06:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homegrown Tomatoes

In spite of the mess the mortgage company has made of getting ourselves moved, the kindly folks who own the house we're buying (now on Thursday instead of Tuesday) said we could go ahead and move some of our things in.  So, today the kids and I took a load of stuff out there and after we unloaded it, I was kind of looking around to decide where to put the garden.  The yard is, shall we say, cluttered, and there was only one spot I'd really considered when we'd been there before, but it looked pretty overgrown in weeds, and I hadn't really walked out to that spot.  So, as we're looking around, I headed for the tall grass that looked like it was in ridges and little valleys, and I tripped on something hidden by the matted tall grass... three long raised beds framed up, though overgrown, and probably 20' or more long, with wide enough paths between to mow with a riding mower (not that we own one, but if we did... you get the picture.)  Well, first off, the forsythia and daffodils were already blooming, and then the quince that runs in a hedge north of the house are about to burst open, and then I stumble on a pecan tree I hadn't noticed before.  There were two peach trees, maybe more, that had been killed by the ice storms the past few years, which is really a shame because they were mature ones and would've been bearing fruit well by this time.  There are only stumps left, but I can tell by looking that is what they were.  Then, in front of the house, on each end, there are beautiful trees which have to be either apple or crab apple.  There is also a small vineyard which I had noticed before.  So, after I was surprised by the raised garden beds hidden by the grass, I turned around and in behind a brush pile, what do I see?  A compost bin, but not the cheap kind of compost bin that I've always made... just something that serves the purpose... but this thing is actually nice (albeit a tad on the small side) and made with pretty slatted wood that looks like custom made shutters of cedar.  It is attractive enough that I wouldn't mind having it in full view of the sunroom after the brush pile is moved.  Anyway, it was nice to have a garden spot ready.  It is smaller that we will eventually want, but it is a good start, and there is more room at the north end to put in some more beds if need be. 

glenn kangiser

And you are just in time to start gardening too. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

muldoon

sounds great, thats the best news from anyone I have heard all day.  what a blessing. 

StinkerBell

I am happy for you , yet jealous at the same time.

Sassy

sounds like a treasure trove of nice surprises!   :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Redoverfarm

HT sounds as if you have your work cut out for you.  Moving into a new place and trying to garden at the same time.  You need to get the poloroid out and get some pics so you can later sit back and imagine how it came to be.

apaknad

gee, thanks HT, you're talking about gardens and things blooming and i'm sitting here looking out the window at rock hard frozen ground w/snow. i'm bummed.
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

Alasdair

Awesome stuff HG. Very happy for you :)

southernsis

Sounds great Homegrown. Have fun moving and gardening. The daffys are blooming here. What time tomorrow is your closing taking place?
Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.

Terry

What wonderful news about the garden spot and compost bin. It's so exciting to be moving to a new place and finding treasures.
Good luck,
Terry

Born Free - Taxed To Death

Homegrown Tomatoes

Sorry Dan... that's one of the reasons we had to move back.  I just couldn't handle waiting until May for spring! 

Ssis, closing is at 10:00 tomorrow morning.  I wanted to do it earlier, but that was the best they could do.  Besides, the sellers are having to drive up from the southeastern part of the state, so it's only fair to give them time to get there. 

Red, that's the way it always is.  I am a firm believer in planting my fields first, then working on the house.   c* We're a little late on getting some stuff in the ground, but it'll be OK. We are just going to try to get moved in first, and then we'll have to go back and do the work that needs done.  The carpet must go.  Every room in the house needs paint, and soon, and of course, there's the roof.  I'll be taking pictures....   ;D