A question for the board and a question for John.

Started by peternap, April 27, 2008, 06:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

Last week while the Big Kidd and I were working on my tractor (With a big emphasis on The Big Kidd), it occurred to me that a state by state listing of trades people, who are skilled in one area or more of small scale building, may help everyone involved.

I've noticed in numerous posts that Owner Builders had trouble finding subs that didn't gouge them.

Question for the board...Would that be a useful tool for us?

Question for John,,,If you do not want to fool with such a database (It would be LOT of work) would you object if I put one together on Old Va News, that could be linked from here?

Honest answers please.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Redoverfarm

Peter that is basickly what I had in mind when I started the post "where you hang your hat".  That way I could find out who was close and by watching the post I could figure out what they were specialized in.  But for a lack of either time or concern it died in coimmitee.  Good Luck.

Homegrown Tomatoes

;D  Well, I'm not a contractor, but I guess I have a little skill and experience with broken tile mosaics?  I've also done a lot of floors and a lot of painting.  Nothing too tough.  Oh, and I'm in OK.   ???  Said database would be nice, though.  I have friends right now looking for a building contractor who won't rip them off, and they don't have a clue where to begin.

glenn kangiser

This is a bit relative is one of the problems.

To a person of means I could be considered cheap, but to a person of little means I could be considered a gouger, even though I am not making enough to pay for fuel and insurance if I give them a great deal.

I can do something in one hour for $65 that it will take a $25 an hour man 4 hours to do. 

I looked at a job figuring it was worth $10000, but the potential customer found a guy who quoted them $5000.  I scratched my head hmm and wondered how he could do that. 

He started the job and found a lot more undiscovered things wrong and added extras to charge them around $15000.

Oh-- that's how they do that.

The list may work but recommendations are hard.

Contractors who work too cheap don't last either.

Just examples of potential problems.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

peternap

I understand the problem Glenn. That's not the real issue though. The database wouldn't be in compensation for the yellow pages. It would be a small builders directory.

By area, someone building a house could find someone with....say, a small backhoe who is or has built his own place. They work out a time when the backhoe is slow and it fills in that notch that would otherwise have been used waiting for the phone to ring. They may do a little bartering or fuel + time.

It's no different than getting gravel as the last load of the day. The truck owner doesn't go home empty and the builder gets a little discount and it may be a cash deal to boot.

The same economy that is making John's plans popular, is also killing a lot of small contractors. The Big Kidd is a good example. I met him on a Chinese Tractor Forum. We have become friends. He has equipment and expertise I don't. He certainly hasn't gotten rich from me but I hope he's filled in some down time.

Had it not been for that forum, I wouldn't have known he existed.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

glenn kangiser

Sounds like in that manner it could work well. :)

If you get it going I can give you a list of my skills and toys.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

BiggKidd

Peternap,

You are right about the work I have done for you this year. It has helped us get through the winter. I wouldn't know where to start with things we know how to do. Its basically like this If its around the home or small construction we have probably done it. Everything from swimming pools to storage buildings, houses to wells. I haven't done a septic system yet but I am sure that too will come one of these days. I do have a pretty good assortment of tools and equipment to work with. As you know I have been working for myself for almost 20 years. I came up in house building helping my dad when I was younger. He was a builder here in Chesterfield Va. We built lots of McMansions.  ;)

Of course I have nowhere near the tools and stuff Glenn has. My stuff is smaller scale for residential work. I don't remember ever doing large scale jobs.

Here is a link my wife has started setting up for our company.
http://outdoorspecialties.spaces.live.com/

I hope its ok I put the link in here if not please remove it or let me know and I will.

Larry
Ps Good post Peternap.

PPS I also do a good bit of metal fabrication and welding.
A hard life only makes you stronger.

Larry

glenn kangiser

No problem, Larry.  Thanks for the link -- it's information rather than advertising.

As with the two of you - I've done a bit of nearly all of it.  I have only done smaller house expansion jobs, remodels, offices etc. but covered all phases at least a bit. 

I would be considered a pro in steel work, small to medium Ironwork (Say, up to the size of a shopping center) and cable tool well drilling mostly. Decent in the rest.

ScottA

I've been in the plumbing/HVAC business for 25 years. But I don't want anymore work. Got too much already  d*