a new radio

Started by peternap, September 16, 2011, 03:30:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

We have been using the Uniden MHS550 to communicate both on the farm, and in general while we're out. Even for daily chores such as adjusting satellite dishes that the signal needs to be monitored inside or just to call me in for dinner. These radios are waterproof have FRS and Marine bands as well as FM broadcast an aircraft monitoring.

I have no intention of replacing them. Because I am often involved with groups that use other types of radios, I wanted something a little more versatile to take with me. I did want something that was compatible with our older radios. I am not a ham radio person but of played with them since I was 10 years old. The technology has change over the last 55 years or so.

I ran across a 2 meter newbie the other day who had gotten one of these:

http://www.powerwerx.com/wouxun-radios/kg-uv3d-dual-band.html

After reading the specs I realized it was a darn versatile little radio and has the potential to do everything I wanted if it were unlocked.
A little more research produced this:

http://www.worldwidedx.com/radio-radio-related-modifications/62063-wouxun-kg-uvd1p-software-mod.html

This program unlocks the radio. In addition to covering 2 meter, which I won't use, it gives me FRS, GMRS, Weather, Marine,standard FM broadcast. MURS, Dot and a host of other frequencies.

Important disclaimer. I wouldn't think of transmitting illegally so of course this discussion is only academic. ::)

I'm sure that there are people that realize that a 5 W radio used responsibly won't interfere with anything and may want to investigate the possibilities that these little radios, at a very reasonable price, present.They also are excellent dual band amateur radio for those who intend to get a license. The no code licenses are very easy to obtain now.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

Very interesting. Decent $$ too.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

Quote from: MountainDon on September 16, 2011, 09:02:18 AM
Very interesting. Decent $$ too.

I see I needed to proof Dragon Speak a little better >:(

The computer programing is great Don. You can program one frequency at a time so you really could work in between the steps on a restricted band but the really nice thing about the programming is that you can just cut and paste frequencies from the net or word, and make your own channels without all the entering.

This has two banks of 120 channels each.

I even programmed in the local Sheriff (Small area with only one frequency) and Fire/Rescue...just in case a real emergency came up.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

Just when I thought I had all the things I needed.....    rofl
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

RIjake

Those are a decent little radio for the money.

My neighbor and good friend, who owns land adjacent to my lot, and I are hams and use either 2M or 70cm to communicate.  Those bands are FAR superior to the GMRS and FRS bands in so many ways. 
I'm planning on buying one of these
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/catch-a-call_2175_25464826.jpg

which operate on the MURS band, my Icom IC-T90A can operate on those freqs.  That wouxun can do that as well, so it makes a great way to monitor people entering your property.  I like being able to do that because my driveway is about 700' long and winds through the woods.

If you're going to buy that radio, keep in mind that in order to legally transmit on it you'll have to be licensed by the FCC at the Technician level at the least.

NM_Shooter

Note that you can also buy a AA battery pack for it too..... the lack of one was going to be my one complaint  ;D
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

peternap

Quote from: NM_Shooter on September 20, 2011, 08:22:17 AM
Note that you can also buy a AA battery pack for it too..... the lack of one was going to be my one complaint  ;D

Yep!
I haven't ordered it yet but that's one thing my other Marine radio's don't have and is nice intimes when power is out and I don't want to be tied to a larger battery pack.