Laser level....advice??

Started by 2zwudz, August 05, 2009, 05:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2zwudz

I would like to buy a one man laser level for day or night use.  Which one would recommend?  The jobs I will be using it on are my block foundation for cabin, finish grade,waste lines, and footings for a garage that I need to build.

Thanks
Mark

Beavers

How much do you want to spend?

I've got a Sokkia Laser that I got off Craigslist for $300, new they are over $1000.  With the tripod and level rod I've got over $500 invested in it.
It's super accurate, I've checked between a couple of Benchmarks within a 1/8".  

If I wouldn't of found the good deal on Craigslist I was looking at a Dewalt one.  I think it was $400.

The more $$$ you spend the higher accuracy you can get.  Most of the higher accuracy ones don't project a visible beam though, you have to use them with a sensor attached to a rod.  You zero in the sensor and then read the numbers off the rod, just like you would with an optical level.

I've been very happy with mine, one of the best investments I've made on my project.  It really makes life much easier, especially when working solo.

Beavers

Here is the Dewalt level.  Notice it doesn't include a tripod or rod (add another $150).

One other thing to consider is how much range you want.  The further from the laser you get the worst the accuracy gets.  For example this Dewalt it claims a 600' range, but accuracy is +/-  1/4" per 100'.  At 600' you end up with +/-  1 1/2".  Depending on what you are working on that could really screw things up.

The cheaper you go the closer you need to work to the laser to get decent accuracy.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=182282-70-DW073KD&lpage=none

rwanders

Check tool rental companies---they usually have them available
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida