24 x 48 cabin

Started by Bl19811, April 05, 2020, 01:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bl19811

I am planning on building 24 x 48 cabin in the Missouri ozarks. For the foundation I am planning on grading a level site, compact the soil, lay base rock then and 6 to 8 in of gravel or crushed stone for the pad. Then on top of the rock stack two 8 inch thick solid concrete block 6 feet apart for griders and there will be five griders. And the griders will be 2 pt 2x10. And then use tie downs like they us for mobile homes for added strength. I know this is not ideal but would this work. Would I have much heave from the ground freezing and thawing with the rock and gravel?

Don_P

There's a good possibility if the free draining rock does not go to below frost depth. Chances are pretty fair you would be revisiting this and cussing later. I'm guessing your frost depth is 18" to 2' there, not particularly difficult to dig a perimeter trench, pour a continuous footing and 4-6 rows of block to get off to a good start. We don't do it because its the easy fun money, its just easier and more fun than doing it with a house already there  :D

Bl19811

I know what you are saying. That's what I was thinking was trying to save time and money, I understand that's not always the best choose. I was also thinking of a permanent wood foundation. Just not sure how it would work in the ozarks, I know I would have to go down about 4 feet below grade but I am not sure if it would be worth it if I ended of hitting bedrock, as you know it is the ozarks.

Don_P

Just a quick look, Lake Ozark is calling out 24" frost depth. True bedrock, not loose rocks, is a footing and certainly extends below frost depth.

ChugiakTinkerer

With a floor that big I think your are guaranteeing yourself disappointment if you try to cut costs on the foundation.

Here's a smaller cabin built with a PWF. 
https://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=14205.msg185137#msg185137

Rent a mini-excavator and dig your footing then backfill with crushed gravel.  No need to grade and compact at all.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

Don_P

Whoop, compact in 8" lifts  ;)

Dave Sparks

Heu Don,
Could you explain the 8"lifts to me please. I hate to miss a good ;)
"we go where the power lines don't"

Don_P

Going from memory, this will be in chapter 4 under precast foundation footings IIRC.
1/2" dia max gravel size (9's) placed 8" deep at a time, then a vibratory plate compactor is run down the trench, then the next 8", etc till desired fill depth is reached.

To nitpick, their use of the term compacting with gravel is really poor English, you are consolidating it.

The old rule of thumb was that #57's poured out of the truck were at 98% compaction just laying there. That is true. Consolidating that would then drop the pile 1" in 4' of depth, so that mere 2% is not necessarily insignificant.

akwoodchuck

Like many DIYers, your invention will be more costly, time consuming, and underperform a conventional foundation....dig a hole, pour your perimeter footing and center pads (half a truckload of concrete), build PT stemwalls, put floor on and backfill. Voila! You have a protected crawlspace to run utilities and store stuff, nothing more required.
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."

ChugiakTinkerer

Quote from: Don_P on April 06, 2020, 08:51:52 PM
Whoop, compact in 8" lifts  ;)

True that, I meant to say no need to compact the soil.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story