Plans Change, and now I'm starting with a 12 X 12

Started by JavaMan, April 20, 2010, 12:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JavaMan

Well, after the dig, and the road building, I decided to come home.  Without many amenities up there, it gets kinda lonely sitting in the dark by myself.

The good news is ground has been broken.  The foundation hole is in and a "road" of sorts is up to the top.  I think the road might need some improvement, though.  Time will tell.

The plan is that in early September, I will go up, frame in the footer forms and pour the footings.  Might take 2 weekends, but this is the ultimate goal.  The stretch goal is to get the stemwalls built.  If that doesn't happen, no reason to be frustrated ... just another long weekend in the spring is all.

The other thing I need to do when taking a break occasionally, is drop some of the trees.  Especially the ones nearest the cabin site.

Well, that's the plan and it should take me until I can't get up there in October-ish.

JavaMan

Debating heading up this weekend to start framing for the forms.  That way it will be ready for the big pour on the three day Labor Day weekend.  Get up there, place the rebar one day, and pour all day the next.  And chill on the third.

JavaMan

l, didn't head up there ... but the plan now is to head up to the property over labor day weekend and take a day or two off work so I can pour the footer/foundation.

Then, a week or two after that, go back up to stack the stem wall and pour the concrete in that.  This part might have to take a couple weekend, since I don't think there will be enough spare hours in the worktime "bank" to afford more time off (ah the joys of IT contracting). But I can see that this is quite do-able.

That's the plan, and I hope I have some help for the big pour - it would go a bit more quickly if I did.  I'll have to see if I can find a victim ... er ... volunteer to come help. 170 - 80-# bags of quikrete ... and about 200 gallons of water.  Should be fun times!  d*

JavaMan

Events might be conspiring against me ... the truck would not shift into third gear tonight when I went out to get dinner.

The intarwebz says anywhere from $400-$2000 to fix.  Yeah, quite the spread, but based on the symptoms, the majority of places are leading to the lower end of the spectrum. I certainly hope so.  We will have to see on Monday.

OlJarhead

At the cabin? or back home?  Sorry to hear about the truck!  Maybe it's just a sensor?

JavaMan

I'm at home.  Was hoping to head up on Thursday night, but we will have to see what happens tomorrow when I take the truck to the shop.

Yeah, could be a sensor, but online it sounds like a solenoid or valve or broken spring.

JavaMan

Well, the news was not good today.  Not to the point where it's "replace it" (at least not yet)

But, it still will put a crimp in the building budget, and will probably put the trip off until next weekend.  Good thing I put in extra time this week!  Dang, was hoping to use that extra pay for a quad or something like that.

Ah well... maybe the boss will get a wild hair and want us to work extra next pay period, too!   ::)

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on September 01, 2016, 12:36:34 PM
What was the problem?

Well ... There was a speed sensor that was bad.  And I was hoping that would cure it, but it didn't.  Which means they had to pull the transmission from the truck and open it up.  The service write thinks it might be the clutches for 3rd and 4th gear.  In all my reading, it sounded more like it could be the valve bodies for those gears or the solenoids for those gears.  (if it was valves or solenoids it would be less expensive than the clutches, I think - maybe not).  But I don't know for certain yet.

Then there was a starter issue that was separate - that required the replacement of the started (it was staying engaged and starting was a problem).  The sad part on that one is I had a starter for that truck in storage - but because I just moved all that stuff (and she packed it all up), I didn't know where it was.  So I am sure it's a gold plated one that they put in, rather than the less expensive one I have in the locker.  But at least I know when I am at the corner of No & Where that the truck will start!

OlJarhead

I'd ask them to look at putting in a used tranny.

JavaMan

well, the rebuild/repair that they have done on it is finished, but they can't get the truck back to me yet.  Why? because the guy that replaced the starter isn't the guy that fixed the tranny, and the guy that fixed the tranny, when he was about to put it in, noticed something that the guy that replaced the starter didn't do.  Well, that needed a part - and that won't be to the shop until mid morning on Tuesday.

So, the owner of the shop has volunteered to come pick me up tomorrow, get my small trailer so that I have it here locally.  Which is only one of the things I was going to do with it this weekend.  But. at least that will be done.  And they gave me a discount on the work, so that is something.  He has also told me to bring in the starter that I have (which is new in the box), and the next one they need a starter for they will use that one, and give me the money for it.  Even if it's $50, I at least am rid of a starter I can't use, and have $50 I wouldn't have had otherwise.

But, that means that I won't have the truck until Tuesday.  But it will probably run like new when I get it back. ... at least it BETTER run like new.

Adam Roby

Wow what a bummer... It's nice of the owner to step up and take some ownership of the mistake though.  I guess the silver lining is like you said, it'll be like a new truck. 

JavaMan

Yeah. I could have used that money for a quad and that would have let me get in and out of my property during the winter!

A friend of mine at home here says I should find a helicopter cargo airlift company to lift my RV into place LOL ... I think he's nuts.  I fear that would cost way too much for one thing.

Well, I will be likely heading up there next weekend, and figure to work remotely for a week to get "caught up" with my plans.

Hopefully nothing else will break that needs repair.

JavaMan

Ok, I know some of the 3 folks I have that read this on a semi-regular basis are probably thinking, "Pictures! Or it didn't happen!" ... so, I'm doing one better.  Here's a vid (if I can figure out how to link it):

I did finally figure it out! but it autoplays.  Wish I could figure out how to not have it auto play.  Probably an option in the flash tag.  SOrry for the small size. the conversion from one video format to swf rally lost some fidelity... and I've changed it to just a link so it doesn't keep looping around annoyingly

http://thelodgeatroar.com/TheLodge/blogs/default/files/videos/PropertyProjectAmplifiedSound.swf

OlJarhead

Pulling in an RV to where I got to would be a cinch.

I have a Yamaha 350 Big Bear that I might be willing to part with...it's a 2wd but with chains.....never mind ;) you need 4wd

JavaMan

yeah, getting in as far as you did - even getting TO my place towing a trailer wouldn't be that tough.  Would want to go easy, though because of the rough road, but it is very do-able.  But getting to to the top of my "mountain" is where the tough part is.  it is might steep up that new road.  I've been thinking about whether I should call the guy back and try to fix a couple of things - specifically where it goes around the couple switchbacks that there are.  They are kind of tight, and it might be good to widen them a bit to get, even a short trailer around them.

And as for the quad... I've seen a few that wouldn't be back - even a couple 4wd ones, but the transmission repair put a big dent in the budget for that.  sigh.

Maybe around Christmas time.

Adam Roby

Or wait for the snow and get an old snowmobile for now, save your funds for the quad come spring.
In my parts a used snowmobile is probably 1/4 the cost of a used quad...  might be useless in the summer but can handle any snow and is powerful enough for any steep climbs.

OlJarhead

One of these days I'll have to come out and see what you've got going on there ;)

JavaMan

Quote from: Adam Roby on September 05, 2016, 06:33:31 AM
Or wait for the snow and get an old snowmobile for now, save your funds for the quad come spring.
In my parts a used snowmobile is probably 1/4 the cost of a used quad...  might be useless in the summer but can handle any snow and is powerful enough for any steep climbs.

Funny you should mention this ... I did this analysis this morning as I was looking on Craigslist at ATV's, etc... I came to the conclusion that while I could pick up a decent snowmobile for a reasonable price (in some cases VERY reasonable), all it would get me short term is the ability to ride into the property and freeze my butt off "winter camping".  Yeah, the "shed" is there, but it really wouldn't be very warm.  And in the spring, I'd still have to buy a Quad!... so I think I'm just going to try to save up and maybe give myself one for a Christmas present, before the prices go back up for the spring  :)

Oh, I will probably debate this issue all the way through the winter - or until I purchase a quad or snowmobile, whichever comes first LOL!

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on September 05, 2016, 08:59:42 AM
One of these days I'll have to come out and see what you've got going on there ;)

Yes, you will!  I am planning on being there next weekend and hopefully through the week after to form and pour the foundation.  Lot's o' lifting of 80# bags of quikcrete...  d*  I figure the form goes in over the weekend and then one full day during the week to mix and pour (once I have the water and quikcrete in place)

JavaMan

Well, I've been going over my budget here, and deciding that I really have to be responsible and pay a few thing first.  Things that would have easily been within the budget had I not had the very expensive truck repair bill.

Which all means that I have decided that I need to put off the trip to the property until the budget has recovered a bit from that hit.  So, I won't be heading up to the property for another 2 weeks.  Sigh.  :(

But once I get there, I will be there until the foundation footers are poured and curing.  This will also allow me to to it more safely, and without as much stress on this old body of mine. 

All this means is that I will be heading up no later than the 26th of September. I hope and pray the weather holds until then

JavaMan

Well well well.

When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.  Life handed me a lemon yesterday, but out of it came some cash, so ... it looks like the trip to the ranch is back on earlier than the previous post.  Currently the plan is to head up Thursday evening, work remote on Friday and "git 'er done!" over the weekend and early next week.

Of course, this assumes that I can gather all the needed materials together and get them up the hill to the site, but if I have to rent a quad for that, so be it.  I don't think I can carry it all up the hill by myself (nearly 200, 80# bags of quikrete, a mess of rebar, and a bunch of lumber? nope - in the words of Bush, the Elder, "Not gonna do it.  Wouldn't be prudent"

But! This means a great start to the fall and winter.  I know I won't make the stretch goal (build the stem wall) unless a miracle happens.  However, what that will allow me to do over the winter is, scour the country side for intact, solid, CMUs that folks are giving away or selling for cheap and reduce the cost of building a basement to at least the cost of building a crawl space (about 1/2).  And I'd really like to have a basement under the place.

JavaMan

Well, sadly, all trips to the ranch that are construction related are finished for the year.  I believe it will be freezing overnight from here on out and that means no pouring of concrete since it needs 48 to cure before a freeze happens.  I can't guarantee that anymore this fall, so the next time I head up to the ranch will probably be to see if I can't get myself some meet for the freezer I don't own  d* ... yet

But come spring!  Oh man.  I have been doing things here that are getting me jazzed to get up there and start pouring.  Looking for free or inexpensive concrete block for my stem wall, rebar for the poured parts... and finding them - the sad part is I have no place to store them at this time.  But I'm working on that, too.  So much yet to do before heading up to the property to get this project going in the spring.  And then the goal will be to be dried in by October 1st.  This is the year it happens!

old_guy

Quote from: JavaMan on September 25, 2016, 03:24:01 PM
  This is the year it happens!

That sentence sounds like you have passed a hurdle.  Life has been running interference against your plans for a while now, but it seems you aren't gonna' let it distract you from this dream any longer.  Cool.

Here's to 2017.

- John

OlJarhead

Hmmm....I've done concrete in decent weather with overnight freezing but had to insulate it.  I think you can rent the insulation blankets but I agree that it's best done in warmer weather if you're not a pro (like me, I'm no pro!)....

Stay motivated :)  Do some hunting, get a tarp or felt over the roof of the shed so it stays dry this winter!  That would be my priority -- even if you plan to remove the old roof I'd protect it for the winter as it protects everything under it and hey, if you get stranded a dry solid walled 'shed' is better than a truck seat in my book!  Bring along a karo heater (need one?  I have one I don't use anymore) and a cot and you're set in inclement weather :)