Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Note -- check the previous posting if you haven't already -- this starts on the previous page.

I began the repair project by measuring the distance from the bottom of the roof beam log to the ground and finding a suitable timber to temporarily jack up the roof with.

Normal load per post would be around 16000 lbs but this is an edge at the uphill patio so I estimated about 1/2 load and also knew the soil on the roof was not full depth here.  At a fiber stress of 1000 lbs psi or less, I wanted at least a full 4x6 or so due to height of 14 feet less the jack and blocking so I needed about 12' tall.  I found a scrap 4x12 that would work great and cut it to length then slipped it up under the beam and put in a block footing and block to protect the log and spread the weight.  I put in a steel plate to spread the point load of the jack and not split the wood.  All of this was scrap from my various resource piles.  :)

Once well supported I began jacking with the 20 ton jack until the door came back into alignment.  That accomplished I noted that the post was still about 3/4 inch low so needed to be jacked to meet the beam.  I took my Ryobi 18V chainsaw with my NEW Lithium battery and cut the post about 2/3 of the way through to inspect the damage and make room for the new support and jack.

As can be seen rot and dry rot are there with only a few bug holes.  The plastic is still like new. hmm

I just happened to bring back some 3/8 wall 5x5 steel tube I removed from 2 columns on a job so one of them became then new foundation for this column.  I took my other jack and pushed the post up a bit above its needed position for settling allowance then cut a 3x3 angle proper length to fit around the jack so it could be removed.  I cut one more for a wedge fit after the jack was removed and installed  it.  The whole assembly can now be welded in place under the post for added strength and stability.

The question is, will it? hmm

New inspector -- tenacious as a bulldog passed it so I guess I'm in good shape.  Center post to go yet -- same manner --  The first one was fixed a year or so ago -- similar manner but more complicated as I couldn't get a post in there for temp support.  ::)

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

I've wondered from time to time how that first post job went.  ???  I don't recall seeing it finished. But then nothing around there ever is.  :D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on April 12, 2008, 09:38:23 PM

The question is, will it?

The next question is will it WHAT? Pass inspection of said bulldog? Pass the "Sassy " does it look good inspection??

So just what was / is the question is my question ???  ???

Those French door  could have just used a lil chainsaw trimming don't cha think Glenn  heh  All this work for a lil out of alignment on some doors  [shocked]

rofl
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

It was a bit harder to get to -- I made an angle plate to slip steel under the post in a slot with an offset braced plate for the jack.  It worked but was very marginal as far as strength with multiple lag bolts into the post -- large ones as I only had access from one side.

I put an adjustable setup under that one but thought of better ways to do this one since I had better access.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Quote from: PEG688 on April 12, 2008, 10:08:05 PM
Those French door  could have just used a lil chainsaw trimming don't cha think Glenn  heh  All this work for a lil out of alignment on some doors  [shocked]

rofl     rofl     rofl     rofl   rofl
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Good evening, PEG.   :)

The question is, will I ever weld it all together. It's all sitting great right now.   ::)

I could have trimmed the doors with the chainsaw, but the post was slowly continuing to settle as the bottom rotted off -- maybe an 1/8" per month. 

Thought I might go it one better and fix it before it shrunk far enough to lock me out of the bedroom and made Sassy lonely.   [slap]

It was a excessive major effort to fix a couple mis-aligned doors.

I can't argue with you there, PEG.  When you are right you are right.  You know that and I know it.  d*

glenn kangiser

How it looks can be covered with a rock wall, fish pond etc.  This is in the unfinished section of the house.  What a great excuse.  [crz]

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on April 12, 2008, 10:16:22 PM

Good evening, PEG.   :)

The question is, will I ever weld it all together. It's all sitting great right now.   ::)

Evenin Glenn  c*

Think ( small) earthquake , maybe that will make it seem important enough, if in it's a bigin MTL wouldn't matter much either way eh  [shocked]

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on April 12, 2008, 10:20:47 PM

This is in the unfinished section of the house. 

Whoa   n*  ,   hold on    [frus], YOU MEAN THERE ARE sections of houses of guys like us THAT ARE FINISHED  [shocked]   rofl [noidea'

MountainDon

You are in good shape tonight Paul.
Or is it simply that Glenn's leaving doors open all over the place.

;D ;D ;D ;D

PEG688

Details are my business / strong point, details will kill a cabinet job / well any job in building for that matter , so I notice little things.

I also think Glenn leaves little "trailers / bait " out to stimulate discussion  ;) 

glenn kangiser

Do you have anything on your house that is unfinished, PEG? hmm

Somehow I just can't see that happening.  You are rather ... shall we say ... ahh ... detail oriented. [rofl2]

MountainDon

I think he has a steel door that he's never painted over the factory paint, IIRC.

Same as me!!

Probably why I remember... makes me feel good/better. K doesn't mind. In fact she never realized it was supposed to be painted until one day in a fit of madness I said something about it.   But she likes the color the way it is!!  Life is great!

glenn kangiser

I hope he has at least that.  It will make me feel a bit better ::)

MountainDon

I have paint for it. It's made for spraying metal, ya' no, the thin as water stuff. I used it on the steel security door I installed on the front, oh... 12 years ago, and havie been meaning to paint the rear ever since. I think it's all the masking for the window... or the removing of the window framing (to look like a multi-pane door.... it's just an overlay... that's held me back.  It would look nice, match the remainder of the house.   :-\

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on April 12, 2008, 11:14:50 PM

Do you have anything on your house that is unfinished, PEG? hmm

Somehow I just can't see that happening.  You are rather ... shall we say ... ahh ... detail oriented. [rofl2]

Of course I do , lots of things , nothing major , well at least to me  :-[   :)

On jobs ever T gets crossed , ever I dotted , or in this case I guess it's a line if it's a capital letter  :-\

I have one bathroom to go as far as remodeling goes , I still waiting for my furnace guy to get to my new furnace install , we talked about that this week when I was in checking on a gas fireplace trim kit they need for one of the paying jobs , he said we'd get it this summer  :( I sure hope so , I sick of feeding the wood stove  >:(

But yes I have plenty of honey do's that have not been done , the primer doors being just the tip of the iceberg , but we do like the color so it's OK .

Jeesh now that this is out no one will respect me in the morning  d*   rofl

PEG688

Quote from: MountainDon on April 12, 2008, 11:18:18 PM

I think he has a steel door that he's never painted over the factory paint, IIRC.

Same as me!!

Probably why I remember... makes me feel good/better. K doesn't mind. In fact she never realized it was supposed to be painted until one day in a fit of madness I said something about it.   But she likes the color the way it is!!  Life is great!

Thanks a lot Mtn D  :(  Just kidding  :)

glenn kangiser

Wow -- he is human. 

Somehow, PEG, I always looked at you as... well... much bigger than that. d*

You are still our hero here on CP though. :)

John Raabe

My son just took off for NYC and his own work. But while he was here he badgered me enough that we finished up an exposed bit of a broken concrete block wall that was in the center of the main living and eating area (it's a fireproof back of the stove surround).

I've been thinking about exactly how to do this since we moved into the house in 1983  :-[. It has greeted every visitor that has come to the house in that time although most don't seem to notice because they have their own owner-built house with their own list of unfinished projects.

Don't rush yourself. One of my neighbors says that if you ever really get the house done there is really no more reason to live and you have to die.  :P

We don't want that do we?
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

You got it, John.  See how things just fell together so nicely after thinking about it for a few years. ::)

Very wise neighbor and that is actually a quote from an old Chinese Proverb.  I am quite familiar with it as I have to quote it to Sassy every so often.

Redoverfarm

I sure am glad that I am not the only person to have a factory primed door that hasn't been finished. In fact my front entry door has been like that since 1996.  But it is covered by a porch and glass storm door so it really doesn't get the weather.  I must confess that I have another 3 or 4 the same way.  I hate to paint.

glenn kangiser

We have one here, and one painted and one unpainted at the other house.  Looks like I'm the only one who owns a painted one. d* 

MountainDon

Quote from: glenn kangiser on April 13, 2008, 11:13:13 AM
Looks like I'm the only one who owns a painted one.
n* n* We were talking about UNpainted. Don't go confusing the issue. We have a perfectly fine looking painted front steel door; different color inside than out.  :D  Painted several times over the past 23 years.

The unpainted one is in the rear where it's no seen as much.

glenn kangiser

glenn kangiser

OK dudes -- I finished the second post repair today, carried the welder down the stairs and welded both foundation conglomerations together and let the weight off the temporary support to put full weight on both of the repaired posts.  All is well.

I didn't take the 4x12 out of the room yet as I didn't want Sassy to think I was going to completely start finishing things I started. d*

A man has to have his standards, and I did it for you.  Yes -- you other guys.  If I started finishing things completely, you all would feel like you were obligated to do the same.  I just didn't want to be blamed for that. [crz]