Pelosi says: We want registration, Second Amendment not a problem

Started by Windpower, April 10, 2009, 09:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windpower

http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/10070

BELLEVUE, WA – Democrat House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on April 7 acknowledged that gun registration is on her agenda, days after Attorney General Eric Holder told reporters in Mexico that the Second Amendment would not "stand in the way" of administration plans to crack down on alleged gun trafficking to Mexico.

"These are alarming remarks from Speaker Pelosi and Attorney General Holder," said Second Amendment Foundation founder Alan Gottlieb. "It appears that the Obama administration and Capitol Hill anti-gunners have dropped all pretences about their plans for gun owners' rights, and it looks like the gloves are coming off."

Pelosi's revelation came during an interview on ABC's Good Morning, America. While insisting that Congress "never denied" the gun rights of American Citizens, Pelosi told Roberts, "We want them registered. We don't want them crossing state lines..." Gottlieb noted that citizens' rights do not stop at state lines.

"But that doesn't really matter," he observed. "History has shown that around the world, registration has always led to confiscation."

In Mexico, according to the Wall Street Journal, Holder was asked if the administration might encounter constitutional issues as it tries to crack down on alleged gun trafficking. His response: "I don't think our Second Amendment will stand in the way of efforts we have begun and will expand upon."

"These comments belie administration promises and Democrat rhetoric that party leaders respect the rights of law-abiding Americans to own the firearm of their choice," Gottlieb said. "They imposed registration of semi-autos in Pelosi's California and it led to a ban, but it certainly didn't disarm criminals, like the convicted felon who killed four Oakland police officers last month. We know from Holder that the Obama administration wants to renew the nationwide ban on such firearms, but that won't prevent crime, either.

"The administration and Congressional anti-gunners have declared war on gun rights," Gottlieb said. "The press seems deliberately blind to the statements from Pelosi and Holder, who blame our gun rights for their incompetence in dealing with crime. More than 90 million gun owners haven't hurt anybody, and they are tired of being treated like criminals."

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

Squirl

This is the same time that Janet Napolitano stated the administration does not need an assault weapons ban and will not be instituting new laws to the gun running problem and will be enforcing the laws we have.  This is a contorted article.  The second amendment has nothing to do with gun running to Mexico.  It is smuggling illegal goods out of the country, different laws.  So of course the second amendment would not "stand in their way."  This whole article is speculative commentary on four words from the attorney general taken out of context, that defies dozens of statements and actions, then draws a conclusion across the whole administration to a sweeping change that is the opposite of everything they have said and done.  This is very bad journalism.

Windpower

"We want them registered. We don't want them crossing state lines..."

how do you respond to this statement Squirl ?

are you  good with registration ?
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

StinkerBell

Just about everything that starts with "Pelosi says" I roll my eyes at.

Virginia Gent

The question is ... how many gun owners would register their weapons, should something like this pass; I fear the number would be higher than 1, which, in my opinion, is 1 too many.

It's a shame that gun owners ins California didn't stand up to their elected reps. when they forced this on them in the '90s. In my opinion, they allowed a dangerous precedent to be established. I don't see this getting passed until the 5-4 majority, in the SCOTUS, that overrode D.C.'s gun ban is switched in favor of the anti's.
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
~Thomas Jefferson~

glenn kangiser

Quote from: StinkerBell on April 10, 2009, 11:52:15 AM

..but we really know when you mean business when you roll your hair... [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

StinkerBell

glenn kangiser

moi?  I confess.... I loose control when I see that picture.... [crz]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

Someone needs to get a count on stinkerbell curler hijacks. Might be a fun statistic.

glenn kangiser

Possibly an impossible task though - they are spread throughout the forum - she's so hot.... [waiting]

Pox Eclipse

Quote from: StinkerBell on April 10, 2009, 11:52:15 AM
Pelosi is against the assault weapons ban, and favors enforcing existing federal gun laws, which is the same position as the NRA. 

Pox Eclipse

Just not any time soon:

60 Minutes, April 12 2009
QuoteAnd what about President Obama, who NRA supporters like to call the great "gun grabber"?

His Web site says he wants to make "the expired federal assault weapons ban permanent," but the White House doesn't seem to be interested in bringing it up - any time soon.

"There's some sense that the president has so many crisis issues on his plate right now that the idea of bringing up guns - which is considered part of the Culture Wars - would be such a diversion," Stahl told Feinstein.

"I agree with you. I wouldn't bring it up now," she replied.

Pox Eclipse

Gun control is to the Democrats what the abortion ban is to Republicans; a red meat issue used to whip up the base, but in reality,  that proponents have no hope of passing either, because there is broad opposition to both measures from moderates and independents.  I would lay money there will be no assault weapons ban passed by Congress for at least Obama's first term, if ever.

Squirl

I believe that most democrats have learned the lesson from Clinton.  Clinton passed this early in his administration and lost congress for 12 year because of it.  As I read in the Gun Nut section of Field & Stream the democrats were the ones to recently protect gun rights.  Surprised most, but not me.  They want to push a lot of agenda's and this is a fight with no good outcome.  The assault weapons ban didn't do much and it cost a lot of political capital.  Obama supported the ban early in his career, but has been consistent with his opposition since running and even after being elected President.  I'm not worried about Pelosi, congress will continue to do what they do best.  Nothing.