Direct vent fireplaces

Started by Okie_Bob, February 17, 2006, 07:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okie_Bob

I want to include a propane fired fireplace in my new cabin. What I would like is a fireplace with a flat screen tv mounted flush with the wall directly above the fireplace. I've just started reading up on this to see if it's possible and how high above the fire box I would have to go to mount the tv. As I understand, you can vent these fireplaces directly out the wall and directly above the firebox. They use a 7" pipe with a 4" inner pipe. So, can I elbow out of the top of the firebox and then place the tv right above the vent pipe?
Anyone have any experience with this type installation? Know any codes that would prevent me from doing this? HELP!!!
Okie Bob, lost in Texas!

glenn kangiser

Sounds good to me, BoB-- I can't think of any problems as long as things don't interfere and there are no clearances required above or behind that cannot be met.

We got a video projector for the Underground Cabin.  We can have home giant screen movies on the wall or show anything off of the computer too.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Follow the direction keep the approved space given . Lay it out full scale vertically and Horz, on large card board it can and has been done .

Few years back we built a large entertianmnet center, about 18' across , 7' or 8' in heigth .  fireplace , gas insert , below . 60 " plasm TV above on fully articulated hardware with pocket doors to cover TV . All the wistle and bells . The vent can or could be , was , flex on that stove , still quite a design task . All out of cherry, sorry no photos  :(, way before the digital camera was being carried by your truely.  

Good luck , PEG
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Daddymem

Meet their clearnaces and you should be fine.  The pipes aren't hot like conventional fireplaces/woodstoves...direct venting gets most of that heat out to where it belongs...in the house not up the chimney....but always best to ask a rep for the stove you choose.
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

Okie_Bob

Thanks everyone! Knew I could count on you.
Glenn, I checked into projection tv but, my idea is this would be diagonal to the glass wall facing the lake and am told projection is not good for highly lighted area.
Peg, I can't even imagine an entertainment center 18' across...must have been one huge house! But, it sounds like it would be fantastic. Wish you had been able to take pics!
Daddymen, I don't have any codes to follow, none. Just plan to be as safe as possible and do it right.
Thanks all,
Okie Bob

Daddymem

The manufacturer will have clearances for their unit...just like wood stoves do.  Follow them and you'll be fine.

jraabe

We did a glass wall above a direct vent fireplace in one house. The only problem was that the exhaust vent was a bit low on the outside and conflicted with the outside deck. Ultimately we compromised and raised it high enough that you don't bang into it when walking by on the deck. You may not have that problem.