20x30 1 1/2 story in Northern PA

Started by peteh2833, August 24, 2007, 05:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alcowboy

Thanks for the pictures. They have helped me understand the mechanics of the building better. I do have a couple of questions here.
1) Are the exterior walls the standard height as given in the plans?
2) Is it necessary for the columns in the center of the first floor for support of the floor above?

prohomesteader

looks awesome, I've been thinking of doing a fireplace in mine next

care to share what you used for the below the stove and how expensive installing the chimney was?  I was thinking the pipe vent had to be above the ridge for some reason but yours looks really good where it is.

Redoverfarm

Pete looks good.  How is the T&G going.  From the looks of the snow (more than us) and the lack of insulation you had better move the wood pile to the inside of the house. ;D.  Seriously now that you have heat it will take the chill off while working to at least shed the coat inside.

I went to the cabin today and the inside temp was 30.  By 12:00 it had risen to 50.  Thats about 4 hrs.  Now if I can keep the snow off the road to make it there I will be set. d*

John Raabe

Nice job on the decking... Looks like an early winter?
None of us are as smart as all of us.

peteh2833

Yes it has been an early winter. We already have had 45" of snow this winter so far at camp. Redoverfarm, the T&G isn't bad. Not to hard. I'm pre-drilling the tongue and then using 3" screws. The camp did get warm enough to shed the coat while working. Sure beat the 20F outside and the wind. I've moved all work inside for the winter.

prohomesteader , I built a 2x6 frame with 3/4" plywood onto with 4 2x6's inside used as "joists". The stove weighs about 400-500 pounds. I also put the floor joists on 12" centers below the stove area. I then put cement board on top of the plywood. On top of that will eventualy be tile or some type of stone. The stove is fire brick lined on side and bottom and even with a roaring fire in it the floor was very cool. I will fire proof the wall later. It didn't cost too much because I had the 2 sections of insulated pipe, cap and storm collar. My friend made the flashing for me, no cost at all. The pipe has to be above the ridge is you are within 10 feet, vertical line. I am close to that but with the staight pipe and the insulated sections it drafts really well. The thing they worry about is cold air come off the ridge and down drafting down the chimney.

alcowboy, The walls are standard height to the plans. They are 10 feet. It isn't necessary for the posts and beam but I added them because of several reasons. 1. I have a steel beam running down the center of the camp. 2. I didn't want to use 20' floor joist to span the whole loft beacuse they weren't available in a strong enough wood from the mill. So instead I went with 4x8x10's on 32" centers supported by 2 6x12x15 beams which is supported by 6x6x8 posts. Any other ?'s just ask.

Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

MountainDon

The rule of thumb for chimneys is that the chimney should extend at least 3' above the highest point where it passes through a roof, and at least 2' higher than any portion of a building within 10'. On steeply pitched roofs that will frequently necessitate a good chimney brace to keep the chimney in place. I believe once you have approx five feet of pipe exposed above the roof you should definitely have braces.

Looks nice Pete. How much snow do you get there in an average winter?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peteh2833

Thanks for the info. At camp between 75-100 on good years. When the lakes are very active we get dumped on. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

prohomesteader

thanks for the info pete.  500lb stove?  that was probably fun moving in ;)

peteh2833

It was. It took three of us and a few pieces of wood. Moved it alittle at a time. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

peteh2833

Well finally got up to camp this past weekend. Cold and snowy. 18F all weekend and 1 to 1.5 feet of new snow. Did a little work inside on the loft floor. I got half of it done. The rest of the time I enjoyed the snow with kids and wife. Did some snowmobiling. Nice weekend. Sorry, no new pics. Hope to get up there in 2 weeks to build the stairs and install the electrical service. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

Redoverfarm

All work and no play makes for a dull day.  I'm sure it will be there when you get back. 

Bishopknight

Its coming out great! Nice job!

I really like the stove too. Should heat it nicely.  ;D

peteh2833

Thanks Bishopknight. It does heat the place well and there isn't insulation in there yet.
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

peteh2833

I got alot done this weekend even though there was 2 feet of new snow. I did get alittle bit of snowmobiling in too. I got the electric hooked up. That was great.  We ran conduit over from the existing camp to a new subpanel in the new one. I aslo got the upstairs ceiling insulated most of the way down. Also got the baffles in the rafters. Of course they went in before the insulation. I also got the stairs and the landing built. All in All a good weekend and alot accomplished. Next is finishing the loft floor, plumbing and wiring and start building the bathroom walls. Here is a couple pics. Pete

Also, the treads are temporary. I'm waiting for the treads to be made by the local amish saw mill. It has been too cold for him to saw he said so they should be done soon.

Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

Redoverfarm

Pete glad you had a productive weekend with all the delays before with the snow. BTW that auction at Washington should have some oak stair treads, rail and ballasters.  They usually do.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Jens

Do you have a leak in your roof eave?  Wondering why there is ice on your siding like that.  I like the color of your v-groove, what kind of finish?  Looking good.  In the photo looking down the stairs, it took me a minute to realize I was looking DOWN the stairs!  Couldn't figure out why they went straight up to no opening in the second floor!  It's been a long day.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

rwanders

Quote from: peteh2833 on December 02, 2008, 10:00:35 PM
Thanks for the info. At camp between 75-100 on good years. When the lakes are very active we get dumped on. Pete

Nice to hear from a fellow 'snowlover"   I lived in Valdez Alaska for nine years. Average year there is 330 inches----our record was in 1989 when we enjoyed aa little over 550 inches----that's right---47 Feet of snow. The city of Valdez is the world champion of snow removal teams. After a 2-3' fall overnight, they routinely have all the streets and sidewalks cleared by 6:00 am----and NO berm in your driveway! It is a wonder to watch them at work.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

peteh2833

That would be neat to see rwanders.

Jens, there might be a leak somewhere. I did not build the existing camp. I looked in the attic and didn't see anything. I don't know what the finish is because i didn't stain it. Sorry I couldn't answer your ?'s. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

Redoverfarm

Pete I think I am back on course now.  This happens sometime when you are working on a big job. ;D.

Anyway I am not sure what your original design was as far as your ceiling /floor joist were.  Beam or 2X with subfloor.  Either way with laminate you will need subfloor.  They had quite a variety of laminate at the auction to choose from.  Prices are usually around $1-1.50 per sq.  You might even find some regular hardwood at the price you would buy laminate for. 

I have seen some tile laminate at their auctions before.  Usually 3 tiles in a row to make one sheet.  But generally you have to glue it rather than snap or you have to use the special grout (they usually have that too) like a acrylic caulk. 

Not real sure but they usually have some auctions in OH as that is where they are based out of.  Some may just be a short distance from Pittsburg.  Might check the schedule dates on their site. 

peteh2833

I used beams on the outside and a center steel beam. The joists are 2x10's and are sistered in the middle over the steel beam. Then there is 3/4 plywood for the subfloor. I was thinking of going to the Amish and see what he can make me. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

Redoverfarm

Pete sometimes that is about all you can do w/o heat.  The next couple days will be above normal here and I plan on doing some things the cold has prevented me from doing.  The last day was Friday w/ temp to high of 28F in the cabin.  Not fun but had to get it ready for this week. 

BTW I sent you a PM about the Washington auction which I thought was last Saturday but after I went to the one yesterday I noticed it was this Saturday.  I ended up getting two doors and some caulking.  I bid on a couple others things but was outbid. I set my limit and stuck to it.  The next is here on April 4th & 5th

Pete this is out of sequence but I moved from the Alberta thread.

peteh2833

No problem. I messed that up !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

peteh2833

Made it to camp on Sunday and Monday. Still lots of snow there. I got all the interior walls built and some wiring done. Was really cold and snowy. Hope to be back in a week or two to get more wiring and plumbing done. The back bathroom wall is wet because it had frost on in on the inside and when I got it warm inside from the woodstove it starting sweating. I'll make sure it is dry before I put the insulation in. The other non building pic is looking out the upstairs window looking out towards the back of my property. Any ?'s just ask. Pete

Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

Redoverfarm

Pete

Just a couple questions on your insulation.

Are you going to build an additional knee wall to where the insultion looks to have stopped or are you going to use the short knee wall. If you are going to use the short knee wall then the baffles need to extend into the soffit area past the top plate.  You will also need to remove the blocked insulation you have stuffed over the top plate (probably temporary to prevent drafts).  I am sure you have that figured out but inquiring minds wanted to know. ;D

It looks really good so far.  Have you figured out what wall covering you are going to use?