Starting on twin 12x16's

Started by Building Bob, September 26, 2010, 09:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Building Bob

My buddy and I have been working on twin 12 x 16 sheds/mini cabins. We cleared an area about 24 x 54 feet. When we are done, there will be three 12 x 16's on the site.
Many pictures already taken which I will share as I learn how to post pictures.

MountainDon

Images to be displayed in a forum message have to be stored on a server someplace. Some place like photobucket.com

There is a tutorial   http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=3512.0   that may help even though it has become a little dated because of photobucket updates.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Building Bob

Thanks for the response. We have been working on these things since last spring. Clearing the land etc. We hired a guy to pull out the stumps and he added 55 yds. of fill to get us level. We were planing to dig and pour a foundation ourselves, but after talking to a local construction worker who likes to earn extra money on the side, we hired him to dig, pour, and lay two courses of block. We started the the first floor deck in mid Aug. and just got the walls up this past weekend. Between working our regular jobs and building these cabins we have not had much time to do anything else. When I get some time I'll get some pictures up. Thanks Again!

Solar Burrito

Welcome to the forums. Where are you building? Your project sounds interesting, I'm looking forward to your photos.
Small Shelters, Off Grid Living, and Other Neat Stuff http://solarburrito.com

Building Bob

The cabins we are building are in the northern portion of Michigans lower penninsula. We were planning to go up this weekend but I have to do some vehicle maitainence instead. I should have time to work on posting some of the pictures.

Building Bob

Ok! My first attempt at posting a pic.

[/img]

Building Bob

Second try!

Building Bob

rick91351

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Building Bob

Finally! Ok I'm Trying a few more. These are the clearing, excavation, and block.

Redoverfarm

w*  Looks as if you are off to a good start. 

Jacknife

;D Good start! Is that you in the red gloves?

Building Bob

No. I'm the guy with the hat. I'll post some more pics today.

Building Bob

This photo shows how Leonard poured all three foundations level with each other. He used a transit level and drove thin wood sticks onto the trench so that the top of each was at the same level. When pouring the concrete he just poured until the tops of the sticks were just covered. This is when the cement truck broke down.

UK4X4

Now I may have been in the desert too long but that looks like triplets !

Building Bob

There will eventually be three 12x16's on the site, but we are working on two right now with the third to be going up in the spring.

JRanch

Nice looking project, I look forward to watching your progress.

Building Bob

More progress!
Laying out out first wall.

First wall up and braced.

Still working

Three walls up.

rdzone

Looks great so far.  Just wondering why you used joist hangers for the floor joists as they would be sitting on the mudsill and block for support already.  ???
Chuck

jan nikolajsen

Quote from: rdzone on October 18, 2010, 10:29:50 AM
wondering why you used joist hangers for the floor joists as they would be sitting on the mudsill and block for support already.  ???

Maybe Bob is a belt & suspenders kinda guy.. takes one to know one!

Jacknife

I agree.......  joist hangers are a pain.  d*

Building Bob

Well winter has finally set in here in Michigan. I think we are about done till spring. We were able to get one almost all closed in the, but the other is just a framed shell with no sheeting at all. If my buddy ever sends me the pictures I'll get them up so you can see our progress. I'm not looking forward to shingling the 12/12 roof. Any sugestions?

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Building Bob on December 18, 2010, 12:09:37 AM
Well winter has finally set in here in Michigan. I think we are about done till spring. We were able to get one almost all closed in the, but the other is just a framed shell with no sheeting at all. If my buddy ever sends me the pictures I'll get them up so you can see our progress. I'm not looking forward to shingling the 12/12 roof. Any sugestions?

Bob the only real way is to use roof jacks.  Relatively inexpensive and with a 2"x8" as the platform they will give you a good platform from which to work.

Barry Broome

"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.