Damn Gophers... eating me out of house and home, literally!

Started by Adam Roby, May 20, 2015, 05:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Roby

Does anyone know how to stop a gopher from eating my nice wooden posts?

I have tried a concoction of pepper sauce, oil, chilli and a few other nasty things but it isn't helping one bit.
I don't want to kill it, or risk poisoning our dog... but this is getting serious!

My wife thought it was a raccoon cause she thinks she saw one around there recently.  I saw a big old gopher on the deck when I got home and there were fresh wood chips on the ground.  Not sure why he would be chewing at my post though... don't really want to put barbed wire however...

kenhill

Have not heard of a gopher chewing wood.  Perhaps a porcupine?  They raise havoc at our cabin in Alaska.

Redoverfarm

Don't really have any of those critters here.  Got plenty of others that like the taste of the salt and minerals in the stains and paints though.  Barb wire will really not help that much.  Some hardware screen 1/4 grids will help most wrapping around the bottom up 12-24".  Maybe once they chip a tooth they will go someplace else.  Then after a short period of time ( couple 2-3 weeks) you can take it off and see if they continue to show up.  BTW you don't have a game camera that you could temporarily put up just to see what you are dealing with.  Maybe Glenn will chime in as he is the authority of Pest. Hee Hee

DaveOrr

A 22 caliber bullet to the brain usually works wonders.  ;)
Dave's Arctic Cabin: www.anglersparadise.ca

Adam Roby

Quote from: DaveOrr on May 20, 2015, 07:14:11 PM
A 22 caliber bullet to the brain usually works wonders.  ;)

Just one of the many disadvantages of being a Canadian.  The most lethal weapon I can get my hands on is a hockey stick and a beer bottle.   :)

firefox

If you have access to a sheet metal brake, or can improvise, you might
consider making some sleeves that could be placed around the colums
and then painted to match the decor. I would just have the last lap bent in a bit
at the corner to act as a latch. This way you don't need to use any fasteners.
This may also protect the posts from dog pee if that becomes an issue.
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

UK4X4

Sure you can still buy air rifles...........a PCP 0.22 cal will kill just about any little pest and they even make heavy weight dum dum pellets for the knockdown factor,

think along the lines of airarms extra FAC
not cheap being british made but awsome for vermin control...

://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Air_Arms_S510_Xtra_FAC_Sidelever_PCP_Air_Rifle/2498

Cant even buy here in the UK without a firearms licence....

Think along the lines of your school boy air rifle where shooting through a paper back is an issue......to one that goes through 3/4" plywood

as far as protection goes maybe easier and prettier to wrap in copper sheet and solder in place

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Adam the main reason I suggested the hardware screen is that it will not trap moisture and rot out your post if water gets behind it. 

Adam Roby

Yup, I like the idea of a thick metal screen... just trying to track one down.  Might also be nice to pre-paint it copper color.

They sell this stuff, I guess nobody has really tried it before?

I was also considering a make-shift idea like the gutter screening but the critter might light plastic also.

Weapons...  I was partially making fun of my Canadian stereotype (I actually don't like hockey and very rarely drink beer - IMPOSTOR!!)
But they have gotten really bad here with anything "gun" related.  We are only allowed to purchase child versions of the pellet/bb guns, and you are not allowed to buy the ammo at the same time as the gun.  As a Canadian I used to be allowed to purchase a 22 in the states if I left it there, but they also changed since 9-11.  However, in the States they sell some amazingly powerful air rifles that can easily take down some small game, I am told as powerful as a 22 would be, but unfortunately those are illegal here in Canada.  Once I have a place (need to build a cabin on my land first) I will purchase one of those air rifles and try it out.

Redoverfarm

Don't know exactly what sources you have in Canada but here are some suppliers.  Some are even on the net so it could be shipped to you.  If your post are square to can bend these to the shape and just wire it together on the back side where it is not that noticeable.    I have used it around young trees and works really good preventing critters from chewing the bark in the winter time.

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4TSNA_enUS401US438&q=hardware+cloth+1%2f8

DaveOrr

Quote from: Adam Roby on May 20, 2015, 09:52:23 PM
Just one of the many disadvantages of being a Canadian.  The most lethal weapon I can get my hands on is a hockey stick and a beer bottle.   :)

PFFFFFFT!!!!
I'm Canadian and have a safe full of guns as well as a couple of bows.  ;)

DaveOrr

Yes, the higher powered airguns require a license to purchase.
There are some unbelievable air guns out there though.
Like this 45 caliber beast that will drop a deer!!!!!! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KjK74vicBA

Adam Roby

That is quite impressive.

I have never been to Yellowknife, but I would imagine if the place is rural enough there is some "bending" of the rules.  We had to register all firearms a few years back, and they confiscated all automatic/semi-automatic weapons with I believe some hefty fines and jail time if you did not comply and were caught. 

My brother-in-law was a security guard for a money transport so had a personal side arm for target practice.
He needed a permit to transport the firearm from his house to the range, and he was not allowed to deviate from a very specific trajectory to and from his home.  The gun needed to be locked in a case and in the trunk with the ammunition locked in a separate box.  If there was traffic and he needed to deviate from the permitted route, he needed to advise the provincial police before leaving home.  I don't remember all the details but it was quite elaborate.  My first trip to upper NY state with my buddy and his father, we stopped at the local gas/grocery/music/gun store.  I never saw such a place, pickup trucks outside with rifles on the back window, people packing side arms in holsters in the store.  Freaked me out at first... 

Tickhill

I have some good friends from Grimbsby, Ontario and they have a blast when coming to do work in the US, especially in the South, we take them out to shoot our guns. They ask for videos of the event so they can share with family and friends.
One of my friends commented early on that he could not understand why TV in America was so restricted but if you were 18 you could own a firearm. I quickly told him that we fought for our freedom and cherish it greatly.
"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time

Adam Roby

I think for me it was more of a culture shock... we are practically taught to fear guns so when you see one you think "bad guy, must hide!".  Kind of like a city person seeing a hunter with a fresh kill, they think it is so barbaric but don't think twice when buying a plastic and styrofoam package of hamburger meat.  These are the types of debates that are futile to argue, because most can only see the one side of the argument. 

The freedom aspect really hit home when I bought my land in NY state (closing is still pending - surveyor delays up the wazoo).  With my title I get all mining and hunting rights... and am allowed to shoot small game on my property. That probably sounds second nature to most US citizens, but for some reason is an epiphany for me.  Buying land back home is so restrictive, it simply was not worth the effort.  Feels more like I am renting it at 10 times it's value and the landlord is an 80 year old nun that thinks Elvis is the devil.

rick91351

I smiled to myself greatly one morning at a Petro Canada station in Jasper, Alberta.  An armored bank car had been locked up there all night in a service bay.  I was told they spend the night in Jasper so they rent a space to store the car in the service station.  The two men show up and they are in uniform both had what looked to be Glock side arms and very openly displayed.  I seen them right off the bat.  Boom eyes right to their side arm.  I was not alarmed just ID them as I would here in the states.  However up in the provinces the people were blind to them to the point a lady walked up to one of the men thinking he was a service station attendant and asked if he might have time while standing there to replace or repair the headlamp on her car.  Their side arms were so far removed from her world....  they might as well been a tool kit or a fancy cell phone of some type.

Myself I would hate to live where we live and getting older every day,  and not have the affordability to protect our and our loved ones lives.  Not so much property but lives.  But also professionally having been involved in a number of fatalities. I can tell you even though not your fault it is something you wear the rest of your life. I can just imagine having to double tap someone.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

NathanS

I think kenhill is right. I've seen damage like that on cedar shingles in Central NY and it was a porcupine. Like everyone else was saying, we have 22s for that.

upa

Hmmn, you need to come out to Western Canada, lots of guns out here. Just shot my fourth nuisance woodchuk this weekend with a Colt SAA revolver. Antique handguns are still exempt from the silly authorization to transport to range and home business. Otherwise I usually plug them with whatever is available such as a .22 rifle or even SKS works fine , the bayonet is useful for close quarter engagement with these ferocious  rodents  :)

Dave Sparks

Our outdoor cats take care of all of the stuff.  One will chase a Bear and the other will go for a walk with me. We do have a fenced yard to keep the bobcat, coyote, & mountain lions at bay.
"we go where the power lines don't"

DaveOrr

Quote from: upa on June 04, 2015, 06:01:20 PM
Hmmn, you need to come out to Western Canada, lots of guns out here. Just shot my fourth nuisance woodchuk this weekend with a Colt SAA revolver. Antique handguns are still exempt from the silly authorization to transport to range and home business. Otherwise I usually plug them with whatever is available such as a .22 rifle or even SKS works fine , the bayonet is useful for close quarter engagement with these ferocious  rodents  :)

Our rodents are a little more fierce!!!
I carry my Remington 870 loaded with 5 rounds of 1 5/8 ounce sabot slugs.
   8)
Had one big black rodent trash my tent last year while I was out. Was probably skulking in the bushes waiting for me to leave, sneaky buggers!!!!   :(