24x40 with block basement- Amish labor

Started by jbos333, August 30, 2010, 08:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbos333

Hi everyone....I have been contemplating a project of my own for some time and I am slowly putting the pieces together. I have not settled 100% on a floor plan but I think i'm going to work within the 24 x 40 size.

Anyhow, I've been getting some estimates for a dried in shell as I probably would take forever to finish it. Talked to a highly recommended Amish builder this weekend. His crew is well known for their masonry. He gave me a rough guesstimate price to dry-in a 24x40 including full block basement of approx $15000 labor and material. Now this is just under roof, housewrap over osb sheathing, waterproofing of outer block wall. Not including excavation either of course.

Does this sound like a good deal assuming the quality is at least at par?

nysono

I would say absolutely, if i could get that price I would JUMP on it.  I plan on a 24 x 32 with walk out basement, with contractor prices, materials alone are 14K plus.

jbos333

nysono, thanks for the reply!

As far as I can tell, if I were to pay retail for the materials alone I came up with about 11k. Now, this doesn't include windows/doors/interior wall framing/insulation etc. Just outside shell, sheathed, under roof (steel), wrapped.

And, if I hired out a poured basement, my cost for that plus framing material looks like about 15k.

But it kinda makes sense to me because the Amish "working foreman" commands $15 per hour and his younger, strong helpers get around $10 per hour. So, combined $35/hour for 3 man crew, let's round up to $300.00 per 8 hour day. $1800 per 6 day week. So this works out to (2) 6-day weeks and change. Sounds like they should be able to get this done in that time frame.

PS of course neither of these figures include a poured floor in the basement- add another $4000.00 for that!

archimedes

Sounds like a good deal to me.  But the devil is always in the details.  Get a written, detailed, quote in writing.  Good luck.  And post pics.  ;D
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

jbos333

Thanks for the replies....unfortunately the Amish fellow I talked to pretty much just works by the hour, so a written contract probably won't work. But, I have a few references that have nothing bad to say about him, say he is a straight shooter, etc.

I had originally wanted to do a simple, earth sheltered block (maybe dry-stack) home, but when I look at the somewhat minimal extra cost for a framed "second floor" I'm thinking I'd be better off doing a "normal" home with a regular walkout "non-living" basement. But still apply solar gain principles and try to super-insulate and seal er up tight.

It seems what started as a very simple plan continues to get more complicated. All I want is the most "bang for the buck" but I need to find somewhere to draw the line.