1 and 1/2 Story 20x30 Alberta Cottage

Started by Alberta Curt, February 24, 2008, 11:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberta Curt

Hi everyone,

Here is a pic of the finished veranda.  This particular picture shows where the veranda rafters run into the new ledger board.  Previously removed the facia board.  My next step is to install my metal soffits.  I was thinking of just blocking in between, adding a 2x2 strip against the wall and installing soffit.  What do you think?  any alternative solutions?

Alberta Curt

Pictures of the new fireplace and the finished soffit/trim.  Went with metal soffit which matched the roof. 

getting close to doing the cedar siding.  My intent is to let the cedar siding go gray with age.  It is 8" beveled siding and seems somewhat brittle.  Anyone have experience with cedar siding?  Should I consider giving it an initial coat of oil and then let it age? 

Redoverfarm

I sent you a PM. Let me know if you received it.

Bishopknight

I did cedar shingle siding on my 12x16 cabin. Came out nice. It was $25 per bundle from Home Depot. Cost around $400 to do the entire thing. Still looks good and has barely started to grey. I also have a green colored roof as well.

keep the pics coming! great work!

- BK

Alberta Curt

Started the cedar siding.  Originally planned on letting it grey, then we decided to put a coat of linseed on it.  I like it.  Here is a picture of the back.  Also started insulating.  Not as fast as I wanted, but its getting there.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

Your progress is impressive to me.   [cool]

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

poppy

Curt, good looking siding [cool]

I'm going with cedar siding also and don't really like the grey, so I was thinking of some kind of finish.  How often will you have to recoat?

Alberta Curt

Poppy..........I'm sure there are many factors associated with the fequency of recoating.  I was told every 3 or 4 years.  I'll see how it goes..........depending on the look, we may leave it to grey.

Curt

Alberta Curt

Going to start the vapor barrier tomorrow.  My plan is to:

1. caulk gaps and double studs
2. start at the top of the roof and work down with the poly
3. staple as I go

It sounds easy enough, but I thought I better check in with you folks for some helpful tips before I start.  Any thoughts? Or is it as easy as 1, 2, 3??

Curt

Alberta Curt

Alberta Curt

A visitor last weekend in the back yard...........

Alberta Curt

Progess as of today.........

I am starting the pine interior shortly.  Do you guys have any recommendations for stain?

Redoverfarm

Albert have you already installed the pine?  I normally pre-finish before installation.  Especially if it is a tone down from the natural color.  If not the wood will move and the tounge area will sometimes show natural.  As for particular products in stain one is about as good as the other. Olympic, cabot, Mimwax.  I would recommend a oil finish over a water based.  As for the top coat I went with Mimwax Polycrylic for the ease of reapplication in short periods of time.  

devildog

The siding looks great! I was thinking of board and batten, but I think those pics changed my mind. what is the size and type(lap?) you used?
IM also eventually going to build 20x30 1.5 story. I noticed after going thru your photos that you have built an addition (10x16?) on to your 20x30. Id like to build a 12x16 shed roof addition to mine, as a bedroom. did you have to do anything special , or have any advise for somene attempting this? I did find out from my building official that I didnt have to have plans for the addition as long as its built to code. thanks darrell
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

Alberta Curt

Quote from: Redoverfarm on September 26, 2009, 05:47:38 AM
Albert have you already installed the pine?  I normally pre-finish before installation.  Especially if it is a tone down from the natural color.  If not the wood will move and the tounge area will sometimes show natural.  As for particular products in stain one is about as good as the other. Olympic, cabot, Mimwax.  I would recommend a oil finish over a water based.  As for the top coat I went with Mimwax Polycrylic for the ease of reapplication in short periods of time.  

Hey Redoverfarm,

I have yet to start the pine so I will gladly take your advice and pre-finish prior to installation.  It's a great tip!  I never would of considered the fact the T&G may shift exposing the unfinished tongue.  Thank you very much for the info.

Alberta Curt

Quote from: devildog on September 26, 2009, 10:33:05 AM
The siding looks great! I was thinking of board and batten, but I think those pics changed my mind. what is the size and type(lap?) you used?
IM also eventually going to build 20x30 1.5 story. I noticed after going thru your photos that you have built an addition (10x16?) on to your 20x30. Id like to build a 12x16 shed roof addition to mine, as a bedroom. did you have to do anything special , or have any advise for somene attempting this? I did find out from my building official that I didnt have to have plans for the addition as long as its built to code. thanks darrell

Hi Darrell,

We used 1x8 beveled cedar siding.  With a 1 and 1/4 inch overlap, it left approx 6 inches exposed.  Finished it with linseed oil.  Nothing special with the addition Darrell.  I did need alot of help with the hip roof, but that is easy to come by in this forum.  They feedback here was awesome.  I just added an additional 15 ft beam at the beginning of construction and ran joists into the main 20x30 section.  Our extension is actually going to be split into two room - a bathroom and a utility room where I'll have my solar controls and batteries.

Hope this helps

Alberta Curt

Finished the veranda.  Still contemplating how to do the soffit underneath.  I think I'll block it like Redoverfarm suggested.

Don & Ginger Lundgren

We love the way that siding looks. The color with that green trim looks fantastic to me. The wrap around porch is very similar to what we want to do. Keep up all of the hard work you are doing.

MountainDon

RE: the interior T&G pine.

Any reason you need to stain it? Have you thought about leaving it natural and using an absolutely clear, colorless finish like the Minwax Polycrylic, John (redoverfarm) mentioned? It goes on milky but dries cpompletely clear. It does not yellow with age either. That what we did on our T&G ceiling and wall. Not having any color stain and with the product not having any color either there's no worry about movement showing a color line.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Alberta Curt

No reason at all that I can think of.  I like the idea of the natural color.  I'll let you know how it turns out.  Thanks again to everyone for the help. 

Alberta Curt

germangirl

OOOH! I love it! :) Great job. I can't wait to see how the inside turns out. I like Don's suggestion for the natural look.
-Liesl

PA-Builder

Good Job!  You got a great looking rustic cabin...

Alasdair