Victoria's Cottage Ridge Beam

Started by misspriss, February 06, 2017, 09:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

misspriss

Quick question, I bought the VC plans and the materials list. We extended the length of the main 2 story section by 4'.

The plans call for a 5-1/8" x 16-1/2" x 28' Glu Lam Beam for that section, would I just get the same in 32', or will it need to be bigger because of the increased space? I didn't realize this would be an issue, I just thought "more of the same" was okay (I've seen that a lot on here) but now I'm concerned.

Also, I have seen people do multiple 1-3/4" beams fastened together instead of one, for easier handling, would that be acceptable?

Thanks!

John Raabe

Yes, the VC cottage is a little different from most of the other plans in that it was a custom house and is not as easy to expand as some of the simpler plans.
What I would recommend is checking with the lumber yard to see if they can supply a larger beam or come up with another solution for the extra 4' load. They may be able to assemble thinner beams into a larger section. They will be able to design for your local loads and can be more precise.

Best wishes, John
None of us are as smart as all of us.

misspriss

Okay thanks. We don't have high loads here. We originally planned to do the alternate assembly with the trusses, but then all of a sudden like we are reconsidering the beam. I think the trusses will just be easier and we don't necessarily need the full height in the center.

maggiethecat

Hi,
where are you seeing this Glu Lam beam information? I just purchased the VC plans kit and I'm not finding any in-depth information on roofing. It just mentions professionally engineered trusses. I'd rather stick frame my roof if possible. Any info?

Thanks!
Decorate your cabin/house/castle/compound/hellhole with original modern ART!

Adam Raabe

Hi maggietoh,

Looks like they're referring to Page 1 of the Plans PDF. See: Structural Notes (on the left side of the page) as well as "GLULAM RIDGE BEAM" indications in the drawings on that same page (Section A-A, and Alternate Cross Section w/ Steep Stair).

Here are a couple links related to GluLam that may help when looking up the designations in the plans:
https://www.americanlaminators.com/tech/ANSI+117-2015.pdf
https://www.anthonyforest.com/assets/pdf/apa/glulam/Glulam_Design_Specs.pdf