Staircase roofing ideas...

Started by Adam Roby, October 02, 2020, 08:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Roby

Hi Everyone, its been a while since I've posted.  I hope everyone is doing OK, crazy year to say the least. 

I am in the planning stages of replacing a set of stairs up to my cottage.
It's on the side of a mountain, and has many stairs from the driveway to the house, and we get a ton of snow.  From week to week when I go up in the winter, I spend about 2 hours shoveling before even getting into the house.  I figured as long as I am replacing the stairs, I might consider adding a roof to help with the snow removal.  I figured some kind of permanent roofing year round, and just tarp up the sides in the winter.

Ignore how the stringers look, I was just playing with some ideas. This is more to give an idea of how the stairs look now.  There is a lower platform, a set of 8 steps, then another small platform, a set of 10 steps, another platform, then a couple steps up to the main deck (main deck is on an angle to the steps (hard to see here).

Stairs

My first idea was to have a double pitched "triangle" roof, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to put that wavy plastic roofing so that the flow of water would go off and not get trapped above.  The angles can get quite complex.  I was thinking a semi-transparent roof would help keep it bright in there especially when the sides are covered and snow is all around.

Double pitched roof (drawing not complete)

The next idea, was to have one long slope... but I think the snow will accumulate too much and collapse the structure.

Slanted roof

I am back to thinking a double pitched roof, but trying to think of what to use for roofing.  I guess shingles could work, but again angles and application will be a challenge (working on the side of a cliff basically). I also wanted more "slippery" material so the snow would hopefully fall off the roof rather than sticking.  Some kind of plastic, maybe even a roll of plastic - but I'd rather something more long term.

Does anyone have any ideas for me?  I am sure some of you have had this same problem before, there has to be an option I am not thinking about.
Any ideas, even crazy ones are welcome.

Thanks!
Adam

alanesmith

It might be an esthetic nightmare, but what about a shed roof (sloping down toward the back in your sketch) covered with epdm? I don't know whether snow would stick to it, but if the roof is a single plane it would go down easy.

Adam Roby

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.  I've never used epdm before, but already started watching some videos on it to learn more
I was also considering sloping to only one side, may still be an option, was just worried about wind being up the mountain can get pretty gusty.
I was thinking originally about plywood with a rubberized paint, similar to what I've done camper roofs before.  I am just not sure if the wood would be able to breath right, and cause issues with rotting.
As you also pointed out, aesthetically it can get messy looking quick.  If this were my hunting cabin I wouldn't mind so much, but its our cottage that we also rent out occasionally to help pay the bills, so it still needs to still be pleasing to the eye.

Don_P

JRR

It might be a framing challenge, but bowed sheets of thin plastic (per Don P) attached to framing that looks similar to church windows:  bowed and pointing upward.   The bottom edge could be shoulder height or lower.  Would let some light through and should shed snow pretty well.

akwoodchuck

A gangway canopy would be just the ticket.
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."

Adam Roby

I'd imagine bowing would add a lot of strength.  I can't seem to find any of the polycarbonate sheets locally online (been just searching online since that posting), but the big orange store has clear acrylic sheets that might be a similar idea, although I am not sure how much they bend before cracking.  Locally they run about $95 for a 3'x6' sheet...  seems to be the widest they carry.  We're heading in a good direction, I have some good ideas now.  The build will only happen in the spring or summer depending on time / weather / bugs...  but I could do a lot of the framing ahead of time in the garage.  I might try a few prototypes,  just put them in the back yard and see how the snow acts on them.  The canopy idea is also good but again, finding the right material in the right lengths looks like a possible challenge.

Thanks for all the great ideas so far! 

akwoodchuck

PVC pipe hoops with boat shrink wrap would be another great option...strong, admits light, sheds snow like a champ.
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."

JRR

Rather than bending the plastic, it might be wiser to cut into strips and shingle the strips to approximate a "bow".  Would leak too badly to be a good house roof, but a walkway cover .... who cares!

Adam Roby

Quote from: JRR on October 10, 2020, 07:30:32 PM
Rather than bending the plastic, it might be wiser to cut into strips and shingle the strips to approximate a "bow".  Would leak too badly to be a good house roof, but a walkway cover .... who cares!

I can't quite picture what that might look like.  Can you please do a rough sketch? 

JRR

I could with a #2 and sheet of paper ... but not too well on-line.  Perhaps someone else can lend a hand.

miketom

There are multiple options you can go with. But I would strongly suggest an EPDM rubber she roofing. I think it meets your requirements as per the plan.