Space heater

Started by Billisnice, December 16, 2010, 01:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billisnice

I am looking for a electric space heater for a small bedroom. 10 x 20. Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks

Redoverfarm

Shawn B

Cadet heater mounted in the wall
Baseboard heater
"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." Samuel Adams

MountainDon

permanent or temporary use
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Billisnice

sometime i can move about under 100 if possible that is energy eff.

Shawn B

I've had good luck with those oil filled heaters that look like a small radiator.

http://www.nextag.com/electric-radiator-heater/compare-html
"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." Samuel Adams

archimedes

All electric heaters have the same energy efficiency.  Same watts in,  equals the same BTU's out.

I like the oil fill radiators too.  They're quiet and I think safer.
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

MikeOnBike

+1 for oil filled heaters. I used one in my shop for a couple of years. I really like that there are no exposed hot wires or danger of fire if they fall over.  They get pretty warm but won't burn you.

Billisnice

Will adding a humidifier add any heat? It seems like when i use the microwave with water in the room it seem warmer...

thanks

MountainDon

Keeping the humidity above 35%, but no more than 50% makes it seem warmer, more comfortable.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Sorry for the shorter post earlier but I was on the run.  The Eden Pure was the one that Paul Harvey used to rage about.  I have a couple of friends that have bought them and rave about how they are economical to operate.  Something like a higher wattage light bulb.  In fact after purchasing one they have ordered additional units. 

bayview

Lasko oscillating ceramic heater with remore control. 

I bought two of these last year for about $75.00 each.   They have a remote control.   The oscillation seems to help distribute the heat through-out the room.

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

MountainDon

As was stated earlier, electric resistance heaters all supply the same amount of heat, watt for watt. No magic bullet to get something for nothing, other than a heat pump, split mini.

So FWIW here's my opinion. If the heat is needed to quickly warm a space, get a heater with a wire element and a fan. If the intended use is longer term, something to maintain the room as a selected temperature, get an oil filled radiator type. They excel at that and are silent and safe to touch. I feel more comfortable leaving them unattended.

I prefer "older" types with mechanical switches and temperature controls to the newer ones with push button digital controls. I've bought most of our assorted collection at end of year close out sales. Not much help right now for that.

Shawn B

1KW (1000 watts) is equal to 3,413 BTUs

cmsilvay

Just built a 10x14 addition to the front of our cabin (was the deck) the walls and floor are insulated it is not skirted yet no insulation in the attic yet. We have  a small electric radiator from wally world 42.99 that does a great job keeping it cozy. One drawback is that it is not quick heat.

altaoaks

i aggree with redoverfarm, Edenpure!  you can google it, and i think they have to be ordered.  they dont get hot, they use technology to heat the air with some type infared or something,  and they are supposed to use a fraction of the electricity.  you can touch them and they stay cool, if they tip over they shut off, they are very much safer than traditional space heaters, and according to bob villa and the other tool guy, they are so cheap to run.  they also sell this amish-made fireplace mantle contraption that edenpure sits in and makes it look nice.  but they just sit and warm an entire room without needing clearance or a special spot.

MountainDon

DirtyLittleSecret

Sounds like smoke & mirrors.  IMHO: nothing beats the heat of a 220 wall mount.
Thumb, meet hammer...hammer, meet thumb...

altaoaks

thanks mountain don, i might have bought one of those edenpure units someday, i often land on the bob villa infomercial.  i followed the link you put up and it sounds like an absolute love or absolute hate with nothing in the middle.  scarey that it is so polarized.