What's for dinner?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 17, 2007, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Making Maple Syrup is a whole lot of work/time. But I do love it.  :)

Pierogi {pyrohy to Ukrainians} (some with potato & sharp cheddar filling, some filled with finely chopped sauerkraut) fried w/onions & served w/sour cream, Kie[ch322]basa (spicy Polish sausage), diced cucumber and tomato
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Sounds good, Don -- reminds me of those great cabbage rolls I had last year.

I had a giant Salisbury steak, with a bit of Montreal seasoning, dried onion slices bothe sides and smothered it in Ketchup along with some Spaghetti squash with butter and salt.  Desert was a big bowl of Apple Pie Ice Cream. :)-- Cooking for myself tonight.  :-/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

No one was in the mood for real food after this weekend, so we grabbed Subway.  Not really too inspired, but no dishes to wash and it tasted pretty good.  My kids were all up in arms over a teenage boy who came in, ordered a sandwich, sat down and took a few bites, and then when his girlfriend found him there, he got up and trashed the remaining sandwich to follow her out the door.  They were absolutely infuriated that someone  would waste that food, and my older daughter went on and on about how he could've given it to his dog if he didn't want to at least share it with his too-skinny girlfriend.  It was hilarious, though I really don't want to encourage her tirades, so I didn't laugh out loud.  (I guess it beats the time we were at an outdoor table at our favorite Mexican place and the couple at the table next to us were both smoking and my older daughter starts very loudly proclaiming all the evils of smoking.  "Well, they might as well just set their lungs on fire... don't they know that stuff stinks?  Don't they know it kills people?  Why would ANYONE do that to themselves?")

glenn kangiser

I had one of those.  #2 son.  He pulled some good ones.

Your daughter sounds like she is smart as a whip and you have been giving her some good training - even if she does like to voice her opinions.  Maybe she will teach them something or make them think at least.  
Could even give them a few more good years of life. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

She's a mess, but a lot of fun.  She is really interested in what's "healthy" to the point of asking about every single thing we eat and wanting to know exactly what's good and what's bad about it.  I have a friend who was raised in foster care in Chicago and really never learned how to cook anything from scratch, and  my daughter was horrified at the things that they ate.  I would take my friend to the grocery store with us and so forth, and one day as we  pulled into the grocery store, my daughter starts in with the "teacher" voice and says, "Now Sandra, you know that junk food isn't good for you or your kids.  Are you going to learn to cook and eat some real food now?  If you keep eating junk, you' ll get sugar in your blood and get diabetes and die."  Thankfully my friend thought it was funny and just laughed.  

When she was about three, she asked me why my dad drinks alcohol and I do not.  I told her that I didn't drink it because alcohol kills brain cells and I figure I don't have that many to spare, and besides, it's not good for your liver, and I don't like the way it makes people act sometimes.  Of course, the next time we were around my dad, she announces to him, "Grampy, your brain can't take it if you keep drinking alcohol... you've been drinking it so long that there's probably not much of it [his brain] left.  Besides, it makes your liver act funny!"  

When we have company, she takes them on a tour of the garden explaining what each plant is, how it is used, and why it is good for you.  She'll pick nasturtiums or calendula and insist that they taste them, or want people to compare the flavors of mint and sage.  By the time she was two, she would sit poring over seed catalogs, and she could tell you what every single plant in them was, even if it was something we didn't grow ourselves.  So, in spite of the fact that she is so completely different from me in so many ways, in a lot of ways, she's a kid after my own heart.  We relate well in the garden and in the kitchen.  My little one isn't such a firecracker, but she's also very smart and very mechanically inclined...she must get at least part of that from my husband.  She doesn't say nearly as much as her big sister, but her comedic timing and vocabulary are really great.  Of course, either of them can promptly repeat anything they overheard that they shouldn't have, LOL.

glenn kangiser

That's really great - I love to see brainy little kids like that.  :)

MountainDon

Tonights menu: Hamburgers.  1/2 venison (deer), 1/2 beef.** A couple Tbsp finely chopped green chili per pound of meat, Ditto chopped onion, ditto crumbled blue cheese, small splash of Balsamic vinegar (1/2 tsp?). Mix well, form into 3 to 4 patties.

Grilled on the new Weber Baby-Q. (It works very well!)

When meat is just about done bring inside and spread more crumbled blue cheese (to taste) on patty and broil briefly to melt cheese.

Served with a thinly sliced sweet onion and tomato. Whole wheat buns. Tossed salad.

** Meat is frozen, previously ground and mixed in roughly 50/50 proportions of store bought on-sale beef and gunshot deer.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John_C

Started with a big bowl of rice.  Rotisserie chicken, sun dried tomatoes, olives stuffed with Feta cheese, artichoke hearts, marinated mushrooms and a dressing made with olive oil, vinegar and habanero peppers. Ah yes, dinner that bites back.

Bottle of Killian's to go with.

MountainDon

Quotehabanero peppers. Ah yes, dinner that bites back.
Oh John, man of cast iron, that's an understatement. Habaneros bite back with shark teeth! I draw my own personal pepper line at what to you would be a mild pepper, the Jalapeno. Maybe, if I'm feeling adventurous a Serrano. But not often.

http://www.painisgood.com/scoville.asp

Bon appétit!

Gero apetito! Skanaus! in Lithuanian, Glenn.

John_C

Occasionally I'll stir fry a half pound or so of jalapenos and mix them with some boiled collard or turnip greens.  Takes the bland taste out of the leafy veggies.  

John_C

Don,

One good link deserves another.  The health benefits of capsaicin.  

http://www2.oprah.com/presents/2005/young/life/life_peppers_b.jhtml

MountainDon

Good link John. Thanks. But I'll have to get my dose via eating greater quantities rather than a higher dose in one bite.  :) Peppers are addictive, can't really only eat one or two.

Other good info via that link too. Once again, thanks.

glenn kangiser

Ow, John C.  that hurts. :o

Once again I am reminded of  the Mexican Flu-Flu bird. :-/

A bird in Mexico who lives on a diet of Jalepeno's and refried beans, and flies backwards to keep his tail feathers cool. :-?

Ok - OK -- I know -- I mentioned it before.  There may be new victims now though. :)

MountainDon

Crock pot: 4 chicken thighs, 1/4 red onion, big splash of balsamic vinegar, cup of chicken stock, 4 hours on high (late start)

Baked potato, sour cream.

Casserole: sliced zucchini and tomato, layered, sprinkled with a little montreal steak seasoning, Tbsp of Smart Balance margarine. Microwaved a couple minutes, then sprinkled with grated Parmesan and placed under the broiler for a few minutes (until slightly browned).

Homegrown_Tomatoes

grilled chicken, macaroni salad (leftover from some I made for a church outreach dinner tonight), steamed broccoli, and leftover cranberry/orange/mango salad.  (At least that's what hubby and kids had.)  I went to the church function and took the salad, and we had sort of a fall picnic... mostly junk food.  I don't even like macaroni salad much (most of it is so bland) but was asked to make my "favorite" one... since they asked, I made it mostly salad with a little macaroni.  It probably wasn't exactly what they had in mind, but it was pretty decent and had a lot of spice. [smiley=evil.gif]  

Homegrown_Tomatoes

By the way Don, I see you got that new grill... looks just about the right size... not so bulky that you need to build a second garage to park the thing.  Glad you're already getting to use it.

MountainDon

QuoteI don't even like macaroni salad much (most of it is so bland)
I use a generous dollop of Jack Daniels Horseradish Mustard for some flavor and zip in macaroni and/or potato salads.

I do like that grill... good size for a couple with enough room for 4 actually, IMO.

Homegrown_Tomatoes

I used some extra extra extra hot giardiniera (sp?) and some pepper jack cheese.  Also put in lots of other peppers so that you couldn't pick by looking which ones were hot and which were not.  Some parsley, cukes, chopped up pickles, crumbled bacon, fresh dill and basil, a little homemade dressing, and lots of tomatoes from the garden.  Never thought about horseradish, though that does sound like a good answer to the whole boring dilemma.  It wasn't bad.  The whole dishpan I took to church got eaten, so I guess someone liked it.

glenn-k

Cool.  Plastic beetle problem at the church, Homegrown? ;D

Homegrown_Tomatoes

Homegrown_Tomatoes

good grief... leave it to you to come up with something smart-aleky to say about any given topic!

MountainDon

Must be never a dull moment there on Kangiser's Mountain.  :)

glenn-k

I try. ;D

Dang -- that one took me 2 minutes. :(  I must be slowing up in my old age -- but then again cut me some slack--- I was on another thread when that was posted.    ::)

Wouldn't you have loved to have me in English class, Homegrown? :-?

Hmmm --thought you'd say that. :(

The ones who had me didn't like it very much either. :-/

I tended to ignore that and just go ahead and run my smart aleky  little mouth though. :)

Homegrown_Tomatoes

The good thing is that you wouldn't have been in my class.  I taught English as a second language... and high school math.  I would've hated teaching a regular English class... after all, I wouldn't have had foreign students coming to class enraged about how they'd gone to the student union bookstore and asked for "rubbers" and didn't understand why the clerk doubled over laughing at them... or the time the Thai student went looking for "hookers" at Wal-mart and they called security on him.  And just so you know, the above students meant "erasers" and "hooks". ;)

MountainDon

McCormick's response to my query about MSG.

Dear McCormick Consumer:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.  We appreciate your interest in our Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning and welcome the opportunity to be of assistance to you. [highlight]This product does not contain MSG.[/highlight]

Although Monosodium Glutamate is approved by the Food & Drug Administration, many consumers, such as yourself, do have a concern about its addition to food products.  Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) is used to enhance the natural flavor of foods.  

Our company recognizes that there are differences in individual preferences and sensitivities to certain ingredients.  We attempt to provide a wide variety of seasonings to accommodate various tastes.  Because of concerns such as yours, we are continually evaluating our products and formulating new items without the addition of MSG.  We have successfully removed MSG from a number of our existing products.  We will continue our reevaluation process to determine if the quality and flavor our consumers expect can be maintained without the presence of MSG.

[highlight]Whenever MSG is directly added to our products, it is always labeled in the ingredient statement. [/highlight] Because we are constantly improving our products, we encourage you to read the ingredient statement on our packages at the time of your purchase.

We invite you to join our "Friends and Flavor Club" and receive our newsletter, and personalized recipes and cooking tips.  You can join by clicking on "Friends and Flavor" at www.McCormick.com.

If we can be of further assistance, please call us at 1-800-632-5847, Monday through Friday, 9:30AM to 5PM Eastern Time.  If you wish to respond to this note by e-mail, please include your name and e-mail address.  

We hope to have the continued pleasure of serving you.