purchasing 20x40 house, need help with floor plan! :)

Started by grandpixel, July 11, 2013, 12:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandpixel

Greetings all, I hope I'm in the right place to get advice for a project. I am closing in about a week on a small house!

It is about 20'x40' and has 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom, the rest is open. The kitchen is just a cabinet with sink, and a few cheap wall cabinets. There is no plumbing in the slab, just pvc coming in through outside walls - this can be redone.

I was planning on removing the few existing walls and starting from scratch. The whole thing is a blank canvas really, at least that's how I'm looking at it.

I saw a thread here with a couple of nice 3/1 floorplans. (http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=9321.0) That's how I found the site by the way, through google image search for '20 x 40 floor plans'.

I think what I would like to do is put a wall down the middle and build a duplex with 1-bed or studio on each side. I have been playing around with Google Sketchup. I'll try and post what I came up with today.

The half-height wall at the end of the bed has a tv on both sides and component stand facing the couch. I like how everything is open, but this layout does not have room for a refrigerator or oven, etc, unless I use all of my counter space.

The bed is a queen. Also no room for closet, etc. The gentleman who posted at the thread above did a good job with efficiency. I modeled one of those in sketchup also and it worked really well for a 3/1 in this space.

Anyway, just looking for some ideas here. I know there are much more efficient layouts. Thanks a bunch!