Garage with "countryplan" house above?

Started by akemt, August 09, 2008, 12:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akemt

I'd ask this in the plans support forum but I'm not a paying customer yet!  I'm considering all possibilities for getting the house we want while not having to rent/stay at mom's while building and saving up money.  Our mortgage house hasn't sold yet (two showings in two days, though, so one can hope!?), but when it does I want to start on the building project and buying land.  Local code here only allows for one residence (but an apartment above a garage doesn't count against that, if it is under a certain sq ft), so I'm thinking maybe we could build a 20 x 30 1.5 or 1 story with loft(s) above a garage and thus have someplace ON our land to move into pretty quickly and still be able to save up and build our "main" house just the way we want it (splurging on good stuff, but doing it all without a mortgage/loan).

How hard would it be to convert one of the 20 x 30's to go above a stick-built garage?  I would guess we'd either have to use those glulam beams or have support posts, but either could be okay.  I'd think it wouldn't be too difficult, although I don't know anything about engineering.  Would it be better to buy a 2 story 20 x 30 plan and just convert the bottom into a garage?  I know you'd either have to have some hefty headers or use the gable-end for doors.

Anyone done this?  I'm trying to think if we could do post/perimeter foundation and fill the garage floor in later...and if this would really save us any money/time.  Our other option is to buy land, build a 20 x
30 or the like, then sell and start again now with the money to buy and build what we want from the get-go.  That's a bit of a hassel, IMO...but may be worth it in the end?
Catherine

Stay-at-home, homeschooling mother of 6 in "nowhere" Alaska

glenn kangiser

I don't see a problem Catherine.  20 x 30 x 1.5 should do it fine IMO.  It would give you an extra large single car garage with room for bracing on the end with up to a 12 wide garage door easily.  You should have room for stairs in the end in front of the car or possibly other ways also.

I converted a 14x 24 into a garage - my own conversion off of the Little House Plans

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

peteh2833

Glen, where is that picture from??? Looks beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Thanks, peteh.

Yup- our place - a couple winters ago.  More garden and stuff there now - patio roof - deck etc. -- I think it looks better.

Here is the building story.   http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=1166.0

Not everyone can afford a garage like this -- this one set me back nearly $200.  Of course that is because it's a 2 story with a full attic and cupola.  ::)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Ailsa C. Ek

Quote from: glenn kangiser on August 10, 2008, 11:37:27 PM
Not everyone can afford a garage like this -- this one set me back nearly $200.  Of course that is because it's a 2 story with a full attic and cupola.  ::)

Is that decimal point in the right place???

glenn kangiser

Yes, Ailsa, $200.00. 

I scrounged everything and cut my own  siding on my sawmill from logs that were traded to me for sawing some of the boards for the owner.  Same owner worked for a contractor tearing out the bridge in Yosemite so the dark timbers are from it - delivered to me free as they have old creosote from 1931 on them but it's not too bad as it is pretty dry.

Soil for rammed earth was dug from the excavation.  Rocks were from our property.  Corrugated antique tin donated to me.  lake  about 40 miles away so had to buy fuel for the truck.  Floor under the car is 3 boat docks from a I had to buy nails, roofing felt, cement to add to the rammed earth , sharpened a couple band saw blades  - one blade is $22.00  60d spikes were salvaged from the bridge timbers and re-used.

Yes - $200 should about cover it-

Of course --my labor is worth nothing.   d*

FrankInWI

I bought the 1 1/2 plans for the house which will be next to my garage/w/uppper storage (temp apartment).  Built the garage...then used trusses complete with floor joists on top.

god helps those who help them selves