Work continues on block walls

Started by n74tg, December 15, 2006, 10:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n74tg

I've had a good week of weather to continue building dry stack block walls.  Pics and writeup shown in blog link below.

Amanda_931

The track hoe sounds like an amazing amount of fun.

Concrete is work.

But just think, people pay good money to go to the gym and do the same kinds of things, and you're getting a house out of it!

n74tg

The trac-hoe IS an amazing amount of fun.  Like I said in the blog, I've never had more fun playing in the dirt.  I just wish I had had more digging to do with it that day.

This house building project really has been enjoyable; some parts not as much as others, but overall quite enjoyable.

speedfunk

So sounds like your enjoying dry stack.  I too have used it and loved it.  Simple, fast, strong and CHEAP :)

8-)

You will have to let me know how you like the parging.

NELSELGNE

n74tg

I followed along with that guy as he built his meshcrete house, even sent him some email questions (to which he responded).  I guess he's about thru with his project because he hasn't updated his website in most of a year.  

I knew the answer at one time, but don't remember now why he decided to go with meshcrete (his own invention) rather than conventional surface bonding cement (SBC).  The answer is somewhere in those 111 pages of photos.

The walls are even further along now than when this post was originally written: link at bottom of page.

NELSELGNE

Page 56 -  meshcrete will save several thousand dollars over surface bonding cement.

NELSELGNE

http://www.drystacked.com/
has a link to making an inexpensive "surface bonding cement" sprayer.

http://www.drystacked.com/17.html
Special tools

glenn-k

Thanks for the link, NELSELGNE.  I am planning on building one of these some day.

Amanda_931

Oh, good, I was too lazy to look that up.

MountainDon

n74tg.... are you a ham radio operator or where does that come from??  just curious.

n74tg

I am building a full size airplane, been working on it since 1995.  N74TG is the aircraft "N" number I have reserved with the FAA for when it's finally finished.  Once finished, it's the identification that will be painted on the side of the plane.

The airplane hasn't been worked on in a couple of years, with the cost of fuel skyrocketing and the cost of aircraft insurance having doubled or tripled after 9/11, I may not ever finish it.  Yes, I do miss flying -- very much, but I got started in flying radio controlled models, so that sorta scratches that itch.

It's for sale, if anybody's interested.  If you want to see a pic, go to Zenithair.com and look for the 601 series of aircraft

//www.zenithair.com