Window Spacing

Started by JeffC, March 09, 2009, 07:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffC

I'm building the studio version of the Victoria's Cottage, but my question applies to just about any other design.  I'm putting in a double window in front, with the front door to the left.  Should the windows be centered from the outside of the house (between the door and outside edge of the trim) or from the inside?  Centering on the outside means that the inside walls on each side of the window will not be the same width (because of the width of the framing, sheathing and inside walls).  Likewise, centering on the inside means that the outside walls will be off.  While it may not be noticeable on a wider structure, it may very well show up on a 16' wide.  Should I split the difference.  Also, should I center between the outside edge of the door trim and the inside edge of my corner boards (siding is cedar shingles with 6" corner boards), or the edge of my door and the outside edge of the corner boards?

I hope I'm not over-analyzing (not that I would ever be accused of that!).  Thanks- wish I could provide a drawing, but that's beyond my technical skills.

diyfrank

Sometime the little thing drive you nuts.
My self I would make the outside look even. It would be more noticeable if it's not. The inside will be less by just hanging a picture on a wall.  Either way it's not a big different. c*
Home is where you make it

MountainDon

Why does the window have to be centered at all?

I'd base my decision of how I planned to use the interior. Asymmetrical can work too. At least that's the way I see things.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John Raabe

Just to make the decision a bit more complex, there may be issues about how close a window is to the door. In most codes if the window is closer than 2' to the door then the glazing has to be tempered.

I would probably look first at how you would use the space inside and if you want to sit by a larger window. Then, depending on the use of the space on the other side of the door, do a different window there. You can often make this asymmetry look good from the outside as well.

However, the more traditional look is to use the same windows with symmetrical spacing thus leaving the interior to adjust to the windows.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Jens

Plus, in some areas, a window that is closer than 32" to a corner must have its header run all the way to the corner. 
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

PEG688

Quote from: Jens on March 09, 2009, 08:04:50 PM

Plus, in some areas, a window that is closer than 32" to a corner must have its header run all the way to the corner. 

Thats one I never run into.

It can change brace wall panel use or type form a standard BWP which is a 4' wide full sheet of ply / OSB essentially to a ABWP (Alternate Brace Wall Panel ) which required , generally, straps embedded into a concrete foundation wall.

So theres plenty of things that it effects is meet or exceeding code is desired / required.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

JeffC

Thanks for the thoughts- I tend to get a little obsessive!  I wasn't aware of the tempered glass issue, but its not really applicable since I'm more than 2 feet away (the door is on the left hand side, with the window(s) on the right).  I'll probably just center the windows based on the outside, and be done with it!

Jens

yeah Paul, that is a strange one from Rochester, NH, might be used elsewhere, IDK.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!