Windows

Started by Billisnice, November 01, 2007, 05:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billisnice

Aluminum or vinyl?  thanks

MountainDon

How about wood with aluminum cladding on the exterior, natural wood on the interior?? Like Pella and Andersen. Pricey though.

I would not use aluminum unless there is a thermal break in the frame.

Between aluminum and vinyl I prefer the vinyl. I believe the frames conduct less heat.

Other factors to consider are whether or not to choose low-E glass and inert gas in the sealed glass unit.

Then there's window style; double hung, sliders, casement, awning... A lot of personal preference there as well as cost. I like casement because my personal experience is they seal incredibly well.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Billisnice

John Raabe

Pella makes some very good windows and they are a large national company. However, you may find that the best performance for your dollar will be with a smaller local company.

Don has given you a good overview of window choices and I agree with his analysis.

Here is a site that reviews the characteristics and climate specific situations that will determine the best window type for you.
http://canada.contractors.com/trade/installing_energy_efficient_windows.html

Then you can check out who makes such windows in your locale.

PS If you are in a climate where you spend more money on cooling than heating then load and open this PDF file:
http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/consumer/buildings/basics/windows/guides/IndustryGuide.pdf
None of us are as smart as all of us.

MountainDon

Excellent point on the local manufacturer option, John. I had forgotten that back home in wintery Canada we replaced all the opening windows across the rear of the house with a locally made vinyl, triple paned set of casement windows. I loved those windows. And they were a more reasonable price compared to national brands.

The thing that impressed me about them was this. I had a diesel at the time. Before installing those windows I could smell the diesel inside the house every time I started it. With the new windows we didn't smell a thing inside, until releasing the locks. Just that simple unclamping allowed enough air through and the diesel exhaust smell came right along.

I can say the same thing about the Pella casements I installed in my two additions to our present home.

IIRC the Pella Duracast windows are excellent wet location / sea coast choices, and they can be had in dark colors which is not an option in vinyl. Vinyl warped in high heat / strong sun when made in darker colors. They also keep their strength in extreme cold; not getting brittle. I've never priced them but their advantages sound expensive.  :)

You have to decide on what's best for you, both the exterior and the interior. I like the look of lightly stained wood on the interior. For me here in the desert wood exterior anything is a maintenance nightmare. That's why I chose the aluminum clad exterior over wood (wood showing inside) for the house. For our cabin it's going to be vinyl, partly for economic reasons.

And those links of Johns are very interesting. Thanks John.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

FrankInWIS

I went Crestline which was on sale another 15% off the week I bought them.  They did well on Consumer Reports too.  I got all vinyl for the lower (the garage) and vinyl with pine interior for the upper.  They are all sliders,  the horizontal length worked out better with the garage, and with the dormers atop.  My windows are a big hit, I got a lot and I got them a bit on the big side.  I had the BIG one for the gambrel gabel end from Anderson I got from Habitat Restore for $200.  It is Andersons LARGEST double hung, bordered by two smaller double hung. Complete with screens, all new.
On the other gable end....the cold north end, I have one solo double hung, with a round top.  Everyone comments it's like being in a chappel on that end of the floor.  
I love light...I spent to much (on this too!), but I love the feel of light, and with pines all around the place it's a great feel.

Preston

I believe I read in an Andersen or maybe Pella brochure that Vinyl Insulates 800 times better than Aluminum  :o

So like Don said, I would choose between Wood and Vinyl.
The secret to being boring is to say everything.  --Voltaire

Amanda_931

The Pella Impervia looks like it might be OK for me.

Since I loathe vinyl and live in a (fairly) mild climate, I might go with the (thermal break probably) aluminum.

For bargain windows, check the (what's called around here) local building suppliers' "boneyards."  Acquaintance may have spent more gas money looking than she saved on her windows, but hers came from five or six suppliers boneyards and back rooms.

And I knew someone once who got all his windows astonishingly cheaply from a local manufacturer's back lot.  Someone had ordered them, then backed out after they were made.

And there are always used windows, with aftermarket storm windows.

That hot climate window guide that John posted looks nice.  Long section on ways to shade your windows

Because some of us want it all--solar heat in the winter without too much heat leakage at night, and shading in the summer that still lets in light.  And windows as ventilation.  

Billisnice

Are all windows easy to replace it the glass is broken? Is one type better than another vinyl for replacement?

thanks