Windows before or after sheithing?

Started by cedarglen, August 28, 2007, 08:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cedarglen

Does it matter if I put the windows in after the sheithing is on and before the siding? Or do the windows really need to go in before the sheithing goes on?

peter_nap

I always put windows after the sheathing and before the siding. As a matter of fact, it seems like it would be counter productive to try to work sheathing under windows.

When I build an exterior wall, I do it laying on the floor. Frame it and sheath over everything. Doors, windows, lazy helpers, etc. Then I do the window/door cutouts and staple whatever wrap I use. This way I have wrap completely under the windows and doors. Leave a generous flap of tyvek or whatever, on the ends so you cantinue the seal around the corners.

Then I stand it up on the chalk line and brace it plum. Nail it to the subfloor and corners......
 When all that;s done I put the windows in.

I always butt my siding to the window frame,

MarkAndDebbie

I think it is better to put them in after. You wrap the tyvek etc over the sill and around the sides etc. before you put the window in.

peg_688

After sheathing , one exceptions would be if your doing a single wall type const., IE T1-11 siding / sheathing.

Sheathing , building paper / felt,  then the  bottom piece Vycor window tape , then the window , then the side pices of tape , tehn the head ,   note how the head piece is lapped,    [highlight]the paper over the vycor[/highlight].

Also that bottom piece of Vycor should have been  UNDER the window , the crew screwed the pooch on this bunch,  :'(

One good think is this time of year the vycor sticks very well to the vinyl window flange so it should be OK. Just not as good as the best way .