Cason Two-Story 20x40 Texas update 10/10/07

Started by Jimmy_Cason, January 07, 2006, 12:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmlsr

Jimmy_Cason

I used 2x10 for the rafters. With a 2x12" ridge beam and 4 support columns, Supporting  both ends, and two places near the center at 10 ft apart.

Jimmy_Cason

One more step crossed off my list. The trench has been dug (180 feet) and the power and water line have been buried.

jraabe

Nice job on the project Jimmy. Those shutters do look good and you have a good looking window layout. Little things do make a difference!

desdawg

Very nice Jimmy. Do you have to pour a concrete cap on the electrical conduit? I would have to do that here if I was that shallow.

Jimmy_Cason

QuoteVery nice Jimmy. Do you have to pour a concrete cap on the electrical conduit? I would have to do that here if I was that shallow.

No concrete cap need here.
In the picture it is not pushed all the way to the bottom of the trench.
It is buried 24 inches deep. That is what the electric company said I needed so that is as deep as I dug.
What scares the jeepers out of me is the fact that the septic guy will need to cross over my line with the septic pipes!  180 feet of triple 4/0 guage wire is not cheap.  
I did get to finally use power from the power company this week.  

No more generator!!!!!!!

glenn-k

Locate the line for the septic guy before he goes through, Jimmy -- open it up with a shovel so he can eyeball it.

Jimmy_Cason

We put out little flags to mark the crossover. But, I think I will take your advice and dig it out for them.
The septic guy told me if anyone ever tells you they haven't hit a power or water line before, they are lying or it's their first job.

He quote 4500.00 four months ago. This included a lift pump to push the stuff uphill to the lines.
When he came out this weekend he said costs have gone up and we would need to pay another thousand dollars for him to do the job.
After 30 minutes of back and forth pricing we will up paying the orginal 4500.00 plus the permit fees of 300.00.

I feel like I got screwed but this was the only septic company out of 5 in my area that returned any of my calls.

glenn-k

His price sounds pretty good, Jimmy.  If you expose the line for him he won't have any excuse so it should be easy to get him to pay for it. ::) :-/

Jimmy_Cason

Major milestone today!     Stardate:September 15,2006

After paying $4500.00 + 300 in fees...  

The septic has been installed and passed inspection!!!

Now where can I find one of those chinese toilets?

glenn-k

Ken Kern made his own squat plates.  I think he may have passed the knowledge on to John when he was working with him. :-/ :)

Jimmy_Cason

I have new pics of the inside. They are cell phone pics so they are kind of blurry and dark

Sassy

Looks really nice - you're just about there!  I like the look with the shutters - adds a lot of character to the home.

glenn-k

Even a blurry cell phone picture is great.  A couple years ago I bet you didn't think you'd be here taking this picture now.  Great job, Jimmy. :)

MIEDRN

You must have the cathedral detail in the upper story? I wondered how that would turn out and it looks fantastic, doesn't it?

You've done a great job and it's a nice plan!

cedarglen

Jimmy I hope to break ground on the using john's universal 2 story plans in April, what is the overhang on your eves? 1 foot?

Charles

Jimmy_Cason

My disclaimer: I modified my set of plans quite a bit so I am not sure about the engineering aspect, But I added a lot of internal support and bracing . I feel safe with the changes I made or I would not let my family live in it.

I made mine a little different than the standard eave, I used 16 ft 2x10s with the end of the eaves horizontal with the ground. I saw this style on a cabin at camp when I was younger. I could not find anything like it on the internet. I hope it is okay, cause thats what I got!

jraabe

I see no problem with your wall detail. Here is a snap of an earlier photo where Jimmy shows the framing diagrammed above.

Looks like you have extended the spacing on the rafter ties from 4' oc to 8' in the open area. While this is less support than shown in the plans, you have good strong clips between the rafters and the wall plates and you have a working ridge beam/board with a 2x12 supported at four points by columns as you mentioned earlier.

The place is certainly looking handsome and you are doing quality work.

MB25ACRES

Jimmy the progess looks great. I noticed the plans now come with cathedral ceiling option. I do not know if that makes the side walls on second floor shorter, or not. I had what I thought would be an interesting idea, maybe someone will show me the error of my thoughts. on the second floor I am thinking about a cathedral ceiling with lofts over the bedrooms to extend 1/2 to 3/4 over each room. this would basicly make two story bedrooms. with a ladder. the kids would have thier beds in the loft so that the lower area would be all open for playing ect. when I was growing up I had a bed that was suspended from roof and attached to wall. I really liked it.I wanted to ask what your costs for your house are so far, and how much more do you think it will cost to finish. thanks Mike Barrett

Jimmy_Cason

Hi guys! Sorry I've been away for a while.
[highlight]I moved into my new home.    Yea!!!!! [/highlight](still in progress)
The layout feels so spacious The two rooms upstairs are huge! Even after putting the king size bed in place!
I started a new job and have been working many many hours and we have no internet access where I built so I have been out of touch for awhile.
I found a nearby library that has computers and internet so I will be able to check in more often.
We had our first big thunderstorm last night. NO Leaks!
The sound of the rain was very soothing on the metal roof.
The sound of acorns hitting at 50 mph will bring you out of a dead sleep!
I will update my pictures as I get settled in. See you guys later!

Kodakjello

Congratulations!  I can't wait to see photos of your finished house, I'm sure it looks great.  :)

Amanda_931

Moved in.  

How nice.  Sigh.

(and I haven't even gotten started!  >:( )

glenn-k

Thanks for checking in, Jimmy --- I was getting worried about you.   :-/

I was actually wondering how you were doing just the other day.  Sounds great, ---and you just started a short time ago. :bhumbsup

cedarglen

[size=12][highlight]New Readers: [/highlight][/size]

A well documented review of the 2-story Universal Cottage project. Many photos and updates. Thanks to the owner and their fine work... Questions and replies follow. (John Raabe 7/07)

======================================================================

Jimmy, working mostly alone and assuming that you have all materials on site and ready to go how many days do you figure it would take you to frame your house (assuming you were working 8 hour days) I am talking about just the min to get the house minimally dried in. (no interior walls, etc). Just frame the platform, 1st floor exterior walls, 2nd floor platform, 2nd floor exterior walls, rafters and sheithing on the whole thing? I am building the Universal 2 story as 20x32'. The crawlspace foundation and septic will be subbed out finished in April 2007, probably finished by the end of April. I will be working on every other weekend only and hope to get dried in by November.