Wiring Question

Started by Mo, March 02, 2009, 05:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mo

Hello.
I am configuring my wiring and am quite perplexed.
I have 3 lights in squence of Hallway, Mudroom, Outside on porch.
The electric starts at switch to hall light. Then to 1st 3way switch for mudroom, onto Mudroom Light
then over to 2nd 3way. I then need it to move on to switch for porch light. How do I add the Porch switch
without needing the 3way switch to be on? Thanks

MountainDon

There are probably a variety of methods. In part it will depend on what makes most effective use of the wires.

Without seeing a floor plan I'd say one of the simplest methods would be to run the power from the hallway to the light (rather than to the first three way switch) that's controlled by the 2 three way switches and then on to the porch . Wire the 2 three ways using a length of 3+ground wire between the switches.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Mo

I understand. Right now it is 14/2 to single pole switch(upto 14/2 from there to hall light) in double gang box  14/2 connects it with 3way switch. 14/3 from 3way switch to light in mudroom 14/3 on to 3way at back door. Now I have double gang box with the 3way and a single pole for outside light 14/2 goes from singlepole to light. They are in a straight line the first 2 switches are next to inside mudroom door, it is 8' through the mudroom to second set of switches.

devildog

like don said its hard to explain, not seeing your layout. but the easiest way would be to run your hot leg(14-2w/ground) to the 2gang box were the porch light switch will go. next run  switch leg (14-2w/g ) to porch light box. that takes care of the porch light. then from same 2gang run 14-3w/g to first 3way and then to next 3way and out of last 3way box run switch leg(14-2w/g). there are other ways and configurations but i think this would be the easiest.
hope it makes sense. the red and white should be you traveler wires for the 3way if im remembering it right
                                                                                                                  darrell
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

devildog

im sorry i thougt I read 3 switches for 1 light which the center would be a 4way. but i was wrong ,just delete the last 3way imentioned and its all the same just run switch leg to first light box then 2nd and 3rd.
sorry I tried to help and made it more confusing.
                                                               darrell
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

tc-vt

Mo,

I think what you are asking is if there is a way to tap, from a three way switch, power that will not be affected by the position of the three way switches.  I don't think there is a way to do this, so you will have to get power for the hall and porch lights from another source. 

In the hallway light switch box you would run a 2-conductor with ground power line (12/2 or 14/2) into the box and connect it to the switch and to another 2-conductor cable that leaves this box and goes into the first mudroom three-way switch box as a power tap for the mudroom light circuit.  You will need to use a pigtail to connect the hot side of the switch to the black wires.

In the box for the first three-way switch for the mudroom, connect the incoming power from the hallway switch box to the three way switch, and to another 2-conductor wire that leaves this box and goes to the porch light switch box as a power tap for the porch light. The 14/3 for the 3-way switch leaves this box and goes to the second 3-way switch box before going on to the mudroom light.

In the second three-way switch box you will have the incoming 14/3 from the first three-way switch and the outgoing 14/2 switched power going to the mudroom light.

In the porch light box you will have the incoming power tap from the first three-way switch box and the outgoing switched power to the light.

Tom

Mo

Thanks all. That is what I thought I would need to do. Knowing this I can finish the wiring and get the inspection so walls can go up. Thanks again.