Winter countertop project

Started by nandajor, May 24, 2006, 01:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nandajor

Thought some of you might be interested in seeing this DIY project. During the winter, when I was "running in place", waiting to go to Colorado to explore for land, I came up with this time eating project.  Went to Lowe's, got some spec.s on a kitchen sink, a piece of wet area cement board and a sheet of plywood. Talked the hubby into cutting me a countertop. We glued and screwed the cement board to the plywood, marked off the area where the sink would be and I went to work.  I purchased squares of 2" square, cobalt tiles, cut them into strips and used them to border. The mosaic design is done with flat back glass craft marbles and polished stones. I "buttered" the marbles or stones with tile adhesive and free formed the design on each end of countertop and the 1 foot backsplash. Then grouted the design, pulling much of it back off and trying to keep the design as level as possible. We then put a wood trim around the edge, leaving it raised up to 1/8" above the highest level of the mosaic. It doesn't show up in the pictures, but is my favorite thing about the countertop, we poured that clear poly resin...you know, like you see on restaurant tables or counters. So, the top is actually a smooth, super shiny and flat surface.  

There will be a single bowl, large white sink in the center. I plan on placing drawer units on each end of this counter. In the center, we will set back the access cover to the plumbing, as far as it will go and still cover the plumbing. Across the top center, a 6-8"  skirt board, with a shiny white finish. I am hoping this will give the look of a farm or apron sink, without the expense of one.  This poly resin finish will work well for this wet area, it would not be good to put where you might need to set a lot of hot dishes.  What' ya think?  Nanda

ailsaek

Gorgeous!  I have to show this to my husband, it's giving me Ideas.   ;D

nandajor

I was so restless during the waiting months, that my hubby said "sure, anything to keep you quiet and entertained!" I remember when I used to say that to my children.  Good luck with your ideas. Nanda

Dberry

Very attractive!  

I hope you have some sort of super-sealer for that.  Would be a shame to get it all mucked up with stains.  The poly sealers I've used in the past have had a tendency to turn yellow.  I hope yours doesn't.

bartholomew

Looks great! Did you use an epoxy? Most clear resins will turn cloudy or yellowish with sun exposure. If sunlight will hit the counter and it doesn't already have UV protection, you can coat it with a clear finish contain UV blockers.

nandajor

Thanks for the tips.  This was a poly resin, two part sealer.  You know you have to mix the two together and use it immediately. It would not be in the sunlight, being a kitchen counter and not near the window.  We will see how it holds up.  

AAA-DAY

Wow! What a great look. Please be sure to post an update pic when it is installed. I wish I had thought of something like that. Oh well, maybe next cabin ;)
Our neighbor did a kitchen countertop with the poly resin, he had hunting pictures and memorabelia mounted under the stuff. 2 years old and still looks great, but it is not exposed to sunlight.
Amy

jwv

Wow  :o Nandajor, that's beautiful.  In our shower I want to do a pebble mosaic for the floor of the shower. A very similar concept to your countertop. I like your design a lot.  Did you draw it out or just do it as the spirit moved?

Again, Beautiful!

Judy

nandajor

Thanks Judy.  I think a shower floor mosaic would be great.  I just free formed the design.  Of course, I had the tile border and I laid the center circle and just worked out from there, trying to get a good color mix.  On the backsplash, the same. I started with the center design and border. Those "sorta" grape designs just seemed to pop up and work.  Good luck with shower floor. I will be watching for pics. in the future. Nanda

Sassy

Nandajor, I have to agree with everyone else, WOW!  :o  :) Beautiful!  I just got a brass footed, slipper tub - we were planning on putting slate on the floor & walls around the tub - but your counter looks so nice... I've wanted to try some mosaic - just wonder if I have the time to do it???  Still need to put in the basic floor under the tub - we did the rest of the floor but left that open because Glenn was going to build a shower in there but I changed my mind...  ::) so lots to do before I can even get to that part - guess I can draw up something, collect the tiles & china pieces for the walls... was the resin difficult to do?  That might be a good idea on my wood countertops in the kitchen.  Right now I have several coats of verathane on them.  

Again, beautiful job!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Jochen

That is unbelievable beautiful!!! 8-)  If I haven't already decided to use concrete countertops in my kitchen I would try your way. And I think to use this Mosaic as flooring in a shower, is a great idea.

Jochen

Jimmy C.

I love to put together puzzles of all kinds. That reminds me puzzle!
What a great way to keep busy in the winter months.. Great Job!
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

Amanda_931

Maggy (sometimes Maggie) Howarth is the woman on pebble mosaics.

Her work is wonderful, and priced to match:

http://maggyhowarth.co.uk/Commissioning_Costs.htm

QuoteDesign costs vary: starting from £350 for sketches, and averaging  £1000
for finished designs for a large mosaic.

Current fabrication (2006) averages £950 per sq. metre plus V.A.T.

Installation varies according to the size of the job.

Price to send by carrier : approx. £100 - £150 by pallet volume.

But I think that you may not need to go through all she does for mosaics that are outdoor, suitable for truck traffic, etc., in your shower.

That counter is gorgeous. I love the idea of just doing it.

nandajor

Gee, thanks all for the kind words.  I really enjoyed this project.  The resin is a little pricey.  I bought the product at Lowe's and I believe the kit cost me about $30.  I hope I am remembering right.  The kit did what they call a seal coat on the countertop and backsplash and the pour on the countertop of about 1/8" depth. I still have a little bit left.  It was not hard to do, as long as you very carefully follow the directions. I hate reading directions, but did follow very carefully these instructions.  I think it would work great for wood kitchen counters, as long as you didn't put it where you would set a lot of hot pans, etc. I am also, not sure if it was recommended for areas of foot traffic.  All of these things are addressed in the brochure, including coverage, etc.  You can also go online to Kleer Koat Epoxy Resin and order and find info.  I would love to see any projects that any of you tackle, mosaics or poly resin.  Good luck to all.

jwv

Yes Amanda, I just got a Maggie Howarth book from the library last week.  Great ideas.

Maybe we could all get together and be a roving band of "Mosaicists"

Will do Mosaics for Food!

Judy
http://strawbaleredux.blogspot.com/

"One must have chaos in one's self to give birth to the dancing star" ~Neitszche

Amanda_931

I just wish I had the kind of stones that Howarth swears you need for outdoor projects.  In general we don't.

jstig

Wow (again!) - that is beautiful  Nanda - I want to do a mosaic table top to use outside on my balcony (I live in a condo but someday will build a small cabin on 3 acres of woods in western Maryland ).   You have inspired me to work on my table top - can you recommend any good instructional books on mosaics?  I have some ideas for designs but need some knowledge on how to make a mosaic.
This site is full of so many creative souls!!!  Thanks for sharing your creation with us.

Jim

nandajor(Guest)

Hi Jim.  You know, I think the great thing about mosaics is that you can't really mess them up.  I mean you need to observe some basics, such as no big pointy pieces sticking up on a functional piece.  But, it is a great way to just let your imagination lead you.  A book on the basics of laying tile will pretty well guide you, as far as the way to stick down pieces, grout and clean it and seal it. Just go for it, not too much to lose.