Winterizing a cabin

Started by cbc58, August 19, 2016, 09:11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbc58

There is a very good chance that our (potential future) cabin will only be accessible from spring to fall, and not reachable during the winter months.  Other than draining the water lines and securing the structure, what else might be on the list for winterizing?  There will be no heat at all.  I was thinking that if we had canned food or liquids in the cabinets that we'd have to take that with us... which prompted me to consider what else we may need to do.   What else should be on the checklist...?

Redoverfarm

RV Antifreeze in all the traps and toilets.  Believe me I have been there. Regardless of how careful you are to put a pitch on your supply and drain lines unless it is a very small system sometimes you cannot get all the water out.  I use a compressed air tank and blow the lines after draining just as a precaution.

You might check MountainDon thread on winter storage of canned foods. 

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=11079.msg141634#msg141634

Adam Roby

I have been contemplating the same thing.  Our new cottage will likely be used most weekends in the winter, but in the event of a power failure and a subsequent loss of heating, we were wondering if we should "winterize" every time we leave.  Sounds like a lot of work and money (for antifreeze) to close up every weekend as a precaution.

- All the traps including toilets.
- All the supply lines (emptied and blown out with compressed air).
- Hot water tank emptied.
- Water pump drained.
- etc...

Wife also wants to install a spa (hot tub).  I definitely don't want to have to shut that down every weekend.
I think in our case we need to setup some type of monitoring system that will warn us of a power failure, so we can react rather than being proactive.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Adam Roby on August 19, 2016, 10:19:20 AM
I have been contemplating the same thing.  Our new cottage will likely be used most weekends in the winter, but in the event of a power failure and a subsequent loss of heating, we were wondering if we should "winterize" every time we leave.  Sounds like a lot of work and money (for antifreeze) to close up every weekend as a precaution.

- All the traps including toilets.
- All the supply lines (emptied and blown out with compressed air).
- Hot water tank emptied.
- Water pump drained.
- etc...

Wife also wants to install a spa (hot tub).  I definitely don't want to have to shut that down every weekend.
I think in our case we need to setup some type of monitoring system that will warn us of a power failure, so we can react rather than being proactive.

Sounds as if you could use a standby generator.  Automatic start when the power is disrupted and shut off once it has been restored.

Adam Roby

[thread-jack]

There actually is a generator there (7500 watt) I believe with 220V wiring going to the cottage with all the vitals connected (to be confirmed by electrician when we take possession) but there is no auto-start feature.  I wonder if that is something you can add afterwards?  It is a big generator though, I don't picture the gas tank lasting very long... would still need a way to notify me when it happens.

[/thread-jack]    // Sorry cbc58!

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Adam Roby on August 19, 2016, 10:32:50 AM
[thread-jack]

There actually is a generator there (7500 watt) I believe with 220V wiring going to the cottage with all the vitals connected (to be confirmed by electrician when we take possession) but there is no auto-start feature.  I wonder if that is something you can add afterwards?  It is a big generator though, I don't picture the gas tank lasting very long... would still need a way to notify me when it happens.

Most fairly good sized generator have the option of Auto-start feature as an add on.  But the fuel is the problem.  With a generator that size  would imagine you would only get 6-8 hours of run time on a tank.  Then again a lot of manufacturers make or adapt a propane fuel option.  Coupled with a 100# tank might get you by. 

You might also consider advertising what you have on a For Sale site and apply the money gained toward one that is already set up to do what you want while you are not there.  Not sure if you mentioned whether you have propane for use at the cabin now or not.  If not that would be a must.

I have one at my residence and wouldn't be without it.  Even Tuesday the power went out for 6 hours and it started and maintained my power until the utilities company restored and then shut down. 

cbc58

tks for the link on mountaindon's thread... hadn't seen that. 

ChugiakTinkerer

Quote from: Adam Roby on August 19, 2016, 10:32:50 AM
[thread-jack]

Adam, and anyone else interested in remote monitoring, if you have adequate cell phone coverage you can do a heck of a lot of creative monitoring using some very simple and affordable equipment.  An Arduino micro-controller board with attached cell phone module can be had for under $100.  If you're into tinkering you can set up a system to send an SMS text message to your phone once a day, maybe reporting internal and external temperature.  You could also have it set to send a text message any time there is a change in the AC status.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

Redoverfarm

Quote from: ChugiakTinkerer on August 19, 2016, 01:03:13 PM
Adam, and anyone else interested in remote monitoring, if you have adequate cell phone coverage you can do a heck of a lot of creative monitoring using some very simple and affordable equipment.  An Arduino micro-controller board with attached cell phone module can be had for under $100.  If you're into tinkering you can set up a system to send an SMS text message to your phone once a day, maybe reporting internal and external temperature.  You could also have it set to send a text message any time there is a change in the AC status.

Funny you should mention that.  If you have followed my thread at the cabin I recently was given a generator to replace a defective one by the company.  The new generator has the internal components for just that.   In addition they added a USB port so that all the information about the generator function, faults and etc.. can be down loaded by the maintenance tech.  Now if I just had cell phone service I would be set.  Well it looks like that will be a function I will have to live without.  :(

MountainDon

If you have standard porcelain bowl toilets use the RV antifreeze. It is worth it as compared to finding a crack and having to replace the toilet.  That's my opinion and I know John agrees.  ;D

As for supply lines, if they are PEX they are somewhat forgiving if a freeze occurs with a little water in a line. However, the brass and plastic fittings don't freeze well if there is trapped water.

Our food tube works well for us. %% degrees in there pretty much all year.  There is condensation though so we rotate the cans out every year as they begin to spot rust. Removing the labels helps a but it seems.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ChugiakTinkerer

There's no problem that can't be solved with sufficient application of engineering and money! :D

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13745

I imagine some remote industrial or commercial installations could use this.  A bit out of my budget for just tinkering.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

Adam Roby

All very cool ideas... I will have to start researching a bit I suppose.  I am (was) an electronic technician and have designed quite a few circuits using PIC micro-controllers and such... loads of fun and all you really need are the ideas which you guys are giving me in spades.  We will almost definitely be setting up wifi anyway so I could set up automated emails for different monitoring... just when the power goes out so might the local internet providers so that limits us a bit.  I will start a new thread come October when I take possession of the cottage and I will surely have plenty of questions.

Dave Sparks

Quote from: MountainDon on August 19, 2016, 01:53:01 PM
If you have standard porcelain bowl toilets use the RV antifreeze. It is worth it as compared to finding a crack and having to replace the toilet.  That's my opinion and I know John agrees.  ;D

As for supply lines, if they are PEX they are somewhat forgiving if a freeze occurs with a little water in a line. However, the brass and plastic fittings don't freeze well if there is trapped water.

Our food tube works well for us. %% degrees in there pretty much all year.  There is condensation though so we rotate the cans out every year as they begin to spot rust. Removing the labels helps a but it seems.

There is one PEX make that is amazing at freezing. I can get the name later if anyone wants.
"we go where the power lines don't"

MountainDon

Interested ifyoumean water can freeze in the fitting and still have a high likihood of being fine afterwards.  My real nemisis has been leaving a ball valce closed with a slug of water in the ball and the brass or plastic around the ball cracks. I have I need to replace now, left over from last winter. The crack is small and on a suction line. It does not leak when open but drips if I close it.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Dave Sparks

I will ask for more detail but the supply shop in town Sieverts has pictures of PEX systems in the attic that froze. He just tells the people wait until it melts or use a hair dryer. He says the brand he sells is the best for snow country.  I wish I had it for other reasons.....
"we go where the power lines don't"