Winter thermostat away setting?

Started by Huge29, November 12, 2012, 12:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huge29

I own a 10" log cabin with partners at an elevation of 8,200'.  It gets used about 95% of the weekends, but is rarely occupied Monday-Thursday.  We have a wifi thermostat so that we can turn on the thermostat like Friday morning the day of arrival to have it warm for our arrival.  What temp should we set for our setting while away?  We have been doing 45 and as I have checked over the last week it has been down to this setting.  We turn off the water and we plan to open all of the sink cabinets to keep the warmer air in the cabinets, but as it is used every weekend it is not practical to really winterize it each time.  We shut off the power to the water heater too, which is located right next to the water heater.  In your experience, is this temp setting ok and is there any other things we should watch? 

OlJarhead

LOL sorry but for me there is no such option.  Either the wood stove is on, or off -- which means it's off when we're not there.

mgramann

I go with 45 degrees, but leave the water heater on.  Unlike summer, no heat is really "lost" as any heat that leaves the water heater goes into the room, causing the regular heaters to run less.  Also, unlike regular heaters, it has a great deal of thermal mass, and if there is any power outage, it might leak just enough heat through the insulation/pipes to keep things above freezing for a little more time.  Who knows, that little bit of extra time might just be long enough!

Huge29

Quote from: mgramann on November 12, 2012, 04:32:14 PM
I go with 45 degrees, but leave the water heater on.  Unlike summer, no heat is really "lost" as any heat that leaves the water heater goes into the room, causing the regular heaters to run less.  Also, unlike regular heaters, it has a great deal of thermal mass, and if there is any power outage, it might leak just enough heat through the insulation/pipes to keep things above freezing for a little more time.  Who knows, that little bit of extra time might just be long enough!
There is a thought!  I only wonder about how much extra power it would consume being a 50 gal tank??  That may be worth it during the winter, though. 

Canvasman

Curious, what wireless thermostat are you using? And how is it working for you.
Thanks Eric

Huge29

Quote from: Canvasman on November 12, 2012, 08:13:13 PM
Curious, what wireless thermostat are you using? And how is it working for you.
Thanks Eric
This is the one: http://www.homedepot.com/buy/filtrete-7-day-touchscreen-wifi-enabled-programmable-thermostat-with-backlight-3m-50.html#.UKHSlmfF2qQ
It was only $110 I believe and it has worked flawlessly for the 6 months in which we have used it.  The odd thing is that the online controls work really well, yet to change any of the settings right on the panel is very confusing and complicated.   We just have a schedule online and you log in and just click away and it defaults to the 45 degree setting, but again you can't set it to away from the panel, the only issue we may ever have is the router needing to be reset, but the thermostat so far has worked well.  It is a really nice feature to be able to turn it on Friday morning for our Friday night arrival.