Built a 14x32 little house... Next the saltbox??

Started by Spyke, November 28, 2005, 08:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spyke

It has been a while since I have been here, so for those of you who don't know me, I built a little house about 3 years ago. It was a ton of work but well worth it. Actually I am still wrappin up a few loose ends like decks and things. It has all to comforts of home including a full bath, electric, central air and DirecTV.

I am really, really sick of paying a mortgage on my main house. Plus all the BS that goes with living in the burbs. I am really thinking about grabbing another piece of land out in the country and building John's saltbox house. I have learned so much from the little house and it just seems like such a waste to not use all this "new" knowledge.

So these are my questions about the saltbox.

I need a full basement. How can I do this with these plans?

How hard would it be to make the foot print a bit larger?

How do you guys think it would look as a log house? I was thinking of using half logs outside as siding and half logs and wood siding inside with very little drywall.

Just wanted to bounce these ideas off you guys!

jraabe

Welcome back Spyke.

Converting the crawlspace plan into a basement would be quite easy. It already has 8" walls and a place for the stairs to wrap right around and head down from the Kitchen/Dining area. Your foundation guy can probably do it without a redrawn plan unless you have a big daylight window wall or something.

Changing the footprint is more problematic and would involve redrawing and re-engineering much of the plans — especially with the saltbox roof coming down the back and having to line up correctly with the back wall.

The log siding and wood interior would be no problem.