Ceiling Beams

Started by peter nap, August 31, 2007, 11:20:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter nap

I'm not sue if this is the right forum but I guess it can be moved if necessary. I'm building a long version of the basic 20x30 (Mines 20x70).
I plan on putting the exposed beams with the ridge support. Without looking at the plans, I think the spacing is every 2'.

Since the bulk of the building is open, (there's a 10' loft on either end), I'd like to cut down on the beams in the center.

I was thinking of using heavy beams like 4"x6 or 8" and a heavier ridge support and spacing the beams at 10 foot intervals.

The foundation is pier with a full length Pole every 10'.. The beams could be tied directly on the poles to keep the walls from splaying out.

Any thoughts?

MarkAndDebbie

I think you are talking about the rafters - right? From ridge board/beam to top plate on the wall?

If so - I was thinking about doing normal rafters with plybead on the ceiling and then putting a 2x? flat on the seam every 8'. THat would give the appearance of a heavy rafter, but leave all of the space for insulation. Hal Nash said it was a pain putting the plybead between his rafters and he would just do it over them if he did it again. Check his out on the gallery page to see what I mean.

peter nap

No, Not the rafters. I didn't explain it well.
This is the basic layout.
http://www.countryplans.com/20wide.html

I just want to make them heavier and spaced at 10' foot intervals. Actually, the plans call for 4' spacing.

MarkAndDebbie

I think now you mean the rafter ties? Or they may be called Collar ties? Maybe someone can tell us the difference.

Answering my own question... From what I read, rafter ties go at the top plate (or John says they can go in the lower 1/3 of the rafters). They are to keep the walls from being pushed out by the rafters. Although I read some differing opinions, I think collar ties would go high on the rafter (top 1/3?) and would not keep the roof from pushing out the walls, but just help keep the roof from lifting up.

Now I am pretty sure you were asking about rafter ties. ;) but I don' t know whether you can put bigger ties and space them farther.

MarkAndDebbie

bump - seems an edit doesn't bump the thread...

peg_688

Sounds like your talking collar ties , I'd stick with the plan . They are to resist the downward pressure of the rafters / roof / snow loads.  Without them or a reduced # / wider spacing the walls could creep outward causing bows out in the walls and sags in the ridge.

peter_nap

Thanks Peg. Tes, I am talking about the collar ties and I am going to keep them just as in the plans. The span still worries me even with them.