Little Houses of Lincoln County, New Mexico (Picture Intense)

Started by hpinson, March 21, 2011, 06:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hpinson

Lincoln County, New Mexico, is home to many well maintained little houses. Many were built in the mid to late 1800's and are constructed in a territorial style unique to New Mexico.  They have a lot of character and style. Enjoy!

1. Hip-roof house. Lincoln, New Mexico.

2. Little house. Lincoln, New Mexico.

3. Shallow roof, shotgun house. Lincoln, New Mexico.

4. Hip-roof house. Lincoln, New Mexico.

5. Hip-roof house. Lincoln, New Mexico.

6. Territorial window. Lincoln, New Mexico.

7. Territorial door. Lincoln, New Mexico.

8. Hip-roof. Lincoln, New Mexico.

9. Hip-roof house. Lincoln, New Mexico.

10. Doctors house. Wings added later. Inset porch. Lincoln, New Mexico.

11. Shotgun house. Lincoln, New Mexico.

12. Little church. Lincoln, New Mexico.

13. Hip-roof. Lincoln, New Mexico.

14. Adobe brick and plaster-stucco construction. Most houses here are built this way. Lincoln, New Mexico.

15. Bird-house style. Lincoln, New Mexico.

16. Little church. Gambrel roof. White Oaks, New Mexico.

17. Two-story little house. White Oaks, New Mexico.

18. Shack built on skids and cinder blocks. White Oaks, New Mexico.

19. Log cabin way-station.  Jicarilla, New Mexico.

20. Log cabin way-station detail.  Cistern lower-left. Jicarilla, New Mexico.

21. Cistern, log cabin way station. Jicarilla, New Mexico.

22. Floor detail, log cabin way station. Jicarilla, New Mexico.

23. Floor detail, log cabin way station. Jicarilla, New Mexico.

24. Floor detail, log cabin way station. Jicarilla, New Mexico.

25. Roof detail, log cabin way station. Jicarilla, New Mexico.

26. False front little house. Jicarilla, New Mexico.

27. Little house with additions. Jicarilla, New Mexico.

28. Brick building. Usage unknown. Jicarilla, New Mexico.

29. Hip-roof and other houses. Ancho, New Mexico.

30. Hip-roof house. Ancho, New Mexico.

31. Adobe little house. Ancho, New Mexico.

mldrenen

thanks for taking the time to post these.  i really enjoyed them, and am inspired by their simple, rustic beauty.  i'm already envision ways to incorporate some of the elements of those buildings into my planning-stages timber framed home.

MountainDon

Notice the snow rail, or snow guard on the one hip roofed home?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

hpinson

Can you reference the image with the snow rail by the number associated with it just below the pic? I'm not sure I see what you are referring to.

MountainDon

This one, on the right hand slope edge... Keeps the snow off the walk way...

and this, on the eve edge of the porch roof.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John Raabe

Nice photos of some simple houses. Classic low-tech construction.

I notice that the centerline bearing beam in the exposed floor pictures was a log sitting directly in the dirt. Not advisable anywhere but they probably got away with it in a dry climate.

Side note to MountainDon...

You seem to have some sort of bug infestation in your computer. It pops up in your recent posts. I keep spraying my screen hoping they will not infect my computer but I haven't yet found anything strong enough to kill them.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

firefox

John, I even tried using the debug command, but no luck :(
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

pmichelsen

Quote from: John Raabe on March 22, 2011, 12:05:46 AM
I notice that the centerline bearing beam in the exposed floor pictures was a log sitting directly in the dirt. Not advisable anywhere but they probably got away with it in a dry climate.

This is how they did the foundation of my cabin, dropped some logs and built up from there. I must say it has help up fairly well (90+ years) in a VERY wet climate. I will try and snap some pictures when I pull up the sub floor.

John Raabe

That is interesting! I wonder if it is a rot-resistant species and/or has somehow managed to stay dry all those years? It could help if you are in soil that doesn't transport moisture well (such as gravel and sand). Often the foundation logs of old log cabins were laid on a bed of gravel and that would help keep the bugs and moisture at bay. A good roof overhang would help as well.

Anyway, good to know those old simple methods can sometimes last as long as the rest of the building.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

hpinson

I noticed the foundation logs as well when I took the picture. This structure in Jicarilla is located on a mountain top, at about 8000 feet, in Pinion-Juniper woodland. The soil is quartz sand-gravel which is what the wooden footings are sitting directly on, with what seems to be very good drainage.  Unlike at lower elevations in New Mexico, there probably are not termites here, though there were ant hills in the area.  The log footing was probably constructed of Ponderosa Pine, which was mostly cut down 100 years ago for the surrounding mines. They they may have been soaked in tar or creosote? They looked a bit like rough railroad ties.   The roof is now maintained to some extent by the Forest Service I think, and I really did not see much current water damage inside, though I'm not sure what tore up the floor.

hpinson

Is this style of metal roofing still available?  What is the durability? Is it advisable to use, over the more modern metal roof panels, or is it just asking for trouble?

I really like the look.

mldrenen

Quote from: hpinson on March 22, 2011, 12:01:44 PM
Is this style of metal roofing still available?  What is the durability? Is it advisable to use, over the more modern metal roof panels, or is it just asking for trouble?

I really like the look.

it appears to be standard galvanized corrugated steel roofing.  no personal experience with it, but it's supposed to be very durable and relatively cheap.  Lowe's stores carries some under the 'fabral' brand name.

mary amalie

I have been unable to open these pictures. Any suggestions?

hpinson

JRR

Enjoyable photos.  Message to me: for longevity, use metal roofing!

Don_P

Thanks for reposting those! I noticed how many in Lincoln had the same window head treatment, fairly common here on older houses as well, a nice detail.

Dave Sparks

Quote from: JRR on January 27, 2018, 02:42:06 PM
Enjoyable photos.  Message to me: for longevity, use metal roofing!

In the lower Sierra (blue oak woodland) we use metal roofing to keep the birds from stuffing acorns in shingles. They start doing this about 5 days after they know there is a new roof. >:( Nice Pix a fun trip!
"we go where the power lines don't"