Our Tiny (10 x 12) Cabin

Started by Gary O, July 31, 2011, 09:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary O

Hey my lady!!  :-*;D
'Bout darn time!

Yeah, it's purty cute, and you oughta know, since ya built half of it.....

It seems MtnDon is one of the technowizards, if not thee wizard as far as getting' around the forum.
BTW, this is a real forum, with real professionals, so be sure to take a peek at all the wonderful building threads.
Welcome, my bride. w*

I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

cabingal3

uh oh.i better stick to recipes and the humor sections...i am glad to be on to see what everyone is building gars.There is some pretty good places from what i have seen.
hugs cabi3 c*
there is always hope

Sassy

w*  Cabingal3!  That's a pretty cute little cabin you guys have built!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

cabingal3

thanks sassy.came on here to make sure my mister does not tell tales about me like in the recipe thread where he is implying i whack him with wooden spoons.on here telling the true story...the wifes story.lol.thanks for the welcome.cabi3

just kidding the mister.
there is always hope

Gary O

OK OK, I confess, they're not wooden......

Alright; never been whacked...yet

Actually, she does get a bit aggravated when I sneak up from behind while she's toiling over a hot stove.......it just gets me goin', seein' my lady cooking something wonderful and all......not sure why the fuss.....smpm 'bout 3rd degee burns.....
Been that way for 42 years....seems she'd be used to it by now
Can't wait for Thanksgiving

Gary O

Well, I went over the budget, and figger we can afford to scoot down to the cabin for Christmas.
My bride and I have everything we'll ever need as far as gifts go this year, and last year my gift of me was not as well received as the last three-four years. Turns out you really can get too much of a good thing. So I'm givin' my lady what she really really wants...Christmas at the cabin.
'Course the bonus, aside from the annual gift of me, will be building a fire in the snow....actually several fires....slash burn fires.
Purty darn ingenious, aey?
I'm makin' a list now;
Kerosene
Used gas last two years, and that pretty much goes FROOOOMP!, then nuthin'.
I used a mix of kerosene/gas (as MtnDon had advised) and that did much mo bettah...but I ran outta kerosene.
This year, kerosene/gas....and the coup de gras of my fire starter sticks.
I'm thinkin' a case per pile, an all I gotta do is wander/stumble from pile to pile sippin' egg nog.

List continued;
Eggnog
and sumpm for the eggnog
Coffee
and sumpm for the coffee
Two or three of those little touch lights (two for the kitchen and one for the oval office)
Buffalo blanket (for tendin' fires while sittin' an sippin')
Note to self; kill buffalo
Extra Buddy heater (noticed it's 8° down there today)
Mukluk boots (for mosey from fire to fire)
Note to self; kill mukluk

Thought ahead this year and called the neighbor down there to plow past our road....gonna be nice, just trudge a few paces from the Jeep and we are at the cabin
And....(drum roll here) we have a closed in kitchen (!!!!).
Yeah, gonna be a really good Christmas this year

MountainDon

Quote from: Gary O on December 03, 2011, 11:48:52 AM
I used a mix of kerosene/gas (as MtnDon had advised) and that did much mo bettah...but I ran outta kerosene.

Sub diesel for kero if it's cheaper
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Gary O

Oh, Don, good suggestion!
Kerosene around here rivals the price of gold.
Thank you

rick91351

I always include a quart or so of used motor oil.  It seems to cling the concoction to the pile a little better.  The last batch I mixed I omit the used oil.  And might have been a little heavy on the gas.  It was a little more reactive than I like.  Good thing Ellen was not with me or I would have been setting in the penalty box.   :o   

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Gary O

See, it just pays to post yer thoughts and intentions.
Used motor oil....to cling to the contents.....I've got a few milk jugs of that.
Thanks Rick

MountainDon

d* d* d*

I use my old motor oil too.... been out of it for a month or so so it slipped my mind I guess.  Dang it; hate it when that happens  d* d* d*

4 : 1  oil/diesel to gasoline , more or less.

Also never stand downhill to ignite if you have a choice. Gasoline vapors are heavy and flow downhill around your feet and knees

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

CjAl

if you have a stump to burn out i take the chainsaw and plunge it straight down into it, turn 60 degrees and repeat, turn another 60 devrees and repeat. pour kerosene in it and light. burns from the inside and also gives a nice little fire to sit around and sip tht egg nog

Gary O

Well now, I have a couple stumps that I've been scratchin' my head about......I'm gonna try that...but not this winter, hard enough to find the slash piles in the snow.
Nice tip though, CJ.
Thanks

MountainDon

That works, but they can smoulder through the ground for weeks. Just be aware of that; it's not too big a deal when there's lots of snow cover or when you will be onsite for a long time, or have a good supply of water to extinguish it. Been there, done that and was surprised a week later to find the stump I had "extinguished" still churning out smoke about 6 feet from the original burn site.

Gary O

Yeah, that's the down side of high desert......will need to drive a pole to find in the snow next winter, but this summer can still hog it out.

CjAl

yes you need to be around. its been too dry here to do any but we are getting caught up on rain now and i have about ten large stumps to do. need to get a camper tho so we can be on site.

Gary O

Quote from: MtnDon on December 03, 2011, 03:07:37 PM

Also never stand downhill to ignite if you have a choice. Gasoline vapors are heavy and flow downhill around your feet and knees

Great point Don

glenn kangiser

hmm  For a minute there I thought you had been eating Jerusalem Artichokes and Boston Baked Beans before you tried to light the brush pile, Gary..... [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Gary O

It's been known to happen........
I have a pre-lighting intake ban list

No;
Cabbage
Beans, any
Eggs benedict
Jerusalem artichokes
Deviled eggs
Popcorn with parmesan cheese sprinkles
Pickled eggs
Tuna salad
Scramble eggs
Fiber filled cereal
Egg salad sandwich
Unfortunately, I can ingest a crow bar and turn it into a foul wind storm.
Something about gulping air when I eat.
I'm a fast eater.
I could very well have been raised by wolves, gulping down things half chewed, and quick. Used to have my brother over for dinner when he was single, and I was done with dessert by the time he had buttered his roll.
I try to be conscious of it.....
Football game
Large stainless steel bowl of popcorn
A beverage
'Think, Gary, think!'
I conscientiously take a few kernels at a time
Seconds later I'm trying to simultaneously stuff both handfuls in my mouth.

The torture is dinner at an upscale restaurant...the ones where they bring several tiny things one at a time on large white plates....those waiters just couldn't keep up.

And really, I'm OK with it all....not a problem....but today, I was innocently walking thru the grocery store when someone's lingering invisible foreign flatulent globule hit me square in the face....had my mouth open.....
looked around, wondering....whoever did it was no longer in the same aisle...
I really didn't want to know who, but what they'd ingested......had to've been outdated.

MountainDon

glenn kangiser

Gary, that could have been a payback from above for all the times you have used the comet effect and scurried on out of there.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

glenn kangiser

Feel free to delete that if you want, Gary.......  [ouch]

Just saw it today and thought it fit ....a few moments ago anyway.... [waiting]

Rob_O

"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

Gary O

Glenn, my brother, I have no delete button....on the keyboard or in the mind.
Communication is what it is...and I love it all.

Oh, and I'm (shall we say) behind in the payback dept.
However, years ago I rode the bus to work.
Inevitably, no matter where I'd sit, this skinny, enormous eared guy would sit in front of me. And every time I knew it was coming, death to any chance of adenoidal normalcy....truly the end was near...his.
He had to've had a gargantuan platter of carrion for breakfast, cause his little hushed, soundless lethal events would whup ya upside the head like none other.
Each one had a chain on it.
The bus window could not open wide enough.
It should be illegal for something like that to be invisible...........

Yeah, and I never wear white pants