12 x 24 in Cape Breton

Started by Alasdair, May 05, 2009, 09:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobmarlon

Thanks for the info on the roof,  love the slate around the fireplace!

Natalie

I adore the slate.  Love it.
We only remembered after returning home from the Celtic Colours Festival last month you were near Port Hawkesbury:( Well.  Next time.  And if you are ever driving through, we are just on the NB-NS border.

EcoHeliGuy

both very nice areas of the country I grew up in Sussex NB, and have a few friends in the pugwash/oxford area  [cool]

Jens

You're gonna have a wee in the shed?  The video game machine or...your tools might get rusty from the humidity and ammonia.  House looks good though.  Maybe you put a toilet in the WC?  Mozel to the tov on the oven bun.  Cheers.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Alasdair

Here's a few more recentish pics. We have slowed down on any major projects and are finishing the interior of the cabin when we have the time and inclination. We plan to add a deck in the spring and start on the house. The house will be slower progress - as and when we can afford it - but we hope to pour and close in a walkout basement by the end of next fall. Will all depend on time and money.
Anyhoo the pics ...

Clearing snow

Getting started on the kitchen ... this is going to be the next project after the holidays!

A few interior shots. The hardwood floor made a big difference. We got it super cheap as it was end of line stuff - makes the cabin feel quite luxurious!

The bench has some storage under it and will be upholstered some time in the new year. We got the fabric cheap too!

The most recent addition - no not the gin, the ladder - now we don't have to sleep on the sofa bed but can curl up in our cosy loft!
Cheers!

Redoverfarm

How is the stove working out for heat?

glenn kangiser

Looking great, Al, but a bit cold looking outside, eh?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Alasdair

The stove is working out great although is the source of some heated discussions - Anita likes a temperature of around 20C whilst I prefer a comfortable 28C! We were still getting used to it in the fall so it was often too hot but now it is a little colder it's perfect.

Glen, I must admit that this is not so much fun ....

but if it wasn't cold how would you do this?

or this?

or this?

We feel sorry for you poor folks down there in the warm ...   ;)

glenn kangiser

Here's how we do it, Al and Anita.

Borrowed an ancient California history pix to illustrate.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jens

"The stove is working out great although is the source of some heated discussions - Anita likes a temperature of around 20C whilst I prefer a comfortable 28C!"

don't let it get you all fired up there.

Glenn, we used to do that all the time!

just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

glenn kangiser

I have a great steep mountain that will work... it's the occasional rock sticking out of it that bothers me. [ouch]

Alasdair

Touché! lol
:)

I must say the picture looks good ... but until I see a picture of Glenn and Jens sliding down the mountain I remain an unbeliever ... ;)

Alasdair

Sammy Alfred, born March 10th 8lbs 15oz.
All back in our cozy little cabin and doing well.
Have to get a shift on with the house now before the wee fella wants his own room!

Sassy

What a cutie!  Congratulations to the proud Poppa & Momma!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

Sorry I missed the reply on the grass slide, Al.  No worries though - we have to wait til it dries so it will be slick. [ouch]
Congrats on the little one Al and Anita.  Thanks for posting a pix for your Countryplans family. :)

Redoverfarm

Congratulations.  Another hammer swinger. ;)

considerations

Congratulations, there is no more sincere grin than that of a new parent.  Hold that thought... ;D

Mackaytartan

What a beautiful baby! Congratulations! [cool]

speedfunk

redover, it would be great if they could swing a hammer :)  (well and hit nails )  congrats....welcome to the jungle...

Beavers

Congratulations on the baby!

It's great that you were able to bring him home to a house that his Mom, and Dad built!  [cool]

Alasdair

Sammy's first project ...

Not bad for a beginner I thought!

glenn kangiser

Wow, Al [cool]

That little rascal is talented. :)

Thanks for posting the update. Here's hoping all is well with all of you in the Great White North.  [ouch]

Beavers

Wow...that is one fancy chicken coop!   [cool]

Alasdair

Well it feels like a long time since we were here on countryplans. We have had no internet connection and were pretty busy on account of work and some new arrivals... So as we just got a high speed connection and as it's raining today I have enjoyed catching up with everyone's projects, new and old.  :)

here are our new arrivals - Sammy   ;D

and the chickens  :D

This building season has been kind of slower for us as there is less pressure now we have somewhere to live (and also on account of a herniated disc ...)  >:(

Still we have managed a few projects with help from neighbours and visitors.  [cool]

We put a deck on the front of the cabin

and a pergola on the deck

Anita was busy in the garden ...

and we got along with some of the trim inside too ...

It's still a work in progress but we can finish off at our leisure. The real business now is the house - Sammy is asking about his new room!
We got a start on it and just got the go ahead to pour the footings this morning.  But that is another story...

John Raabe

Wow! What a great little cabin. The covered deck looks great and really expands a small house.

Thanks for the great pics of the project, little Sammy and the rest of the homestead team. I feel like you could be neighbors - just 3500 miles or so down the road. :D :D :D

None of us are as smart as all of us.