Federal, State Fuel Tax Rates Maps

Started by MountainDon, April 24, 2014, 09:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

US maps of taxes on Gasoline and Diesel.

Also interactive versions; Gasoline,   Diesel
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Adam Roby

Comparatively, Canadian taxes on gasoline.
http://retail.petro-canada.ca/en/fuelsavings/2139.aspx

There are 3.78541 liters per US gallon.  In 2012, taxes in Canada represented on average 39.3 cents per liter, which translates to ~$1.49 per gallon as compared to the 49.89 cents on average in the states.

Makes me a little sick...

NM_Shooter

Slightly off topic, I found a great app for finding gas with no Ethanol... runs on my droid and is called "Pure Gas".  Helped me to find a station with no Ethanol not far from my house.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Adam Roby

It is common to have Ethanol in regular gas?  I thought it was an "optional" fuel source.  We used to have one gas station in the neighborhood that sold it, now I would be hard pressed to find an ethanol station... perhaps I am thinking of something else?

MountainDon

In the US there is up to 10% ethanol in virtually all gasoline sold as motor fuel.    >:(   It is hard to find without ethanol.

There is also a website that lists no ethanol stations. http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp   For those like me, who still use dumbphones.   ;D

I use the one in Los Ranchos; is that the one you use?  Love the no ethanol for small engines.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

Yup!  That's the one.  Not sure how they get away with selling it.  Must be additional taxes on it or something.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

I'm a little confused on this. I thought the law simply read that motor fuel gasoline had to be oxygenated. There are other compounds that could be used.  But then I recall there was an environmental problem with one, MTBE.  Then also my fuzzy brain seems to think I read about a 10% mandate by the feds on all gasoline.  Maybe there is an alternate method that has been approved. Maybe the ethanol mandate expired and....    All I know is we can buy gas w/o ethanol and in theory I/we should have fewer issues with our small engines.

Adam Roby

Seems to be the same in Canada, with 10% being Ethanol.  That same website also shows the stations that have pure gas.

Back some 20 years ago I have a 1986 Grand Prix, with a 305 V8 engine.  The car was already some 8 years old at the time, and I heard that Ethanol was a much cleaner burning fuel.  I tried a couple of tanks, didn't really notice anything performance wise but one day on the highway my engine stalled.  I pulled over, it started right up... so off I went only to stall once at highway speeds.  It turned out to be my fuel filter, it has completely clogged up with surface rust that was in my gas tank.  I was told this was because of the Ethanol.  I immediately switched back to regular gas (at least I think so) and for the next few months I kept having to change my filter every few weeks due to it getting clogged up.  Once it was clear I never had the problem again.

I this partially why it is not recommended for small engines?

MountainDon

In part. The ethanol also absorbs water from the air quite readily. That can form acids that corrode parts. It is also supposed to be possible for sufficient water to be absorbed that a mix of water and ethanol separates out at the bottom of the can or tank. That part contains no oil; if drawn into the carb severe engine damage can occur. Most of these issues can be avoided by always draining the oil from the machine/tool when there is no immediate future use planned. Also buying fuel in small amounts and storing in cans that seal well. I've also read that using a can that has a fueling air loop between gas can and gas tank helps avoid picking up water vapor. I hate those though. Most spill.

A Google search on ethanol and chain saws should bring up lots of articles.  Since ethanol gasoline has become the common fuel apparently small engine repair shops are seeing more engines with internal damage.  So I keep my small engine gasoline in nothing larger than a 1 gallon can. I even use some quart size steel cans for over winter storage at the cabin as when we go up in winter we have to snow shoe as a rule and I don't want to backpack gas.   I use stabilizer as well. Then in spring use that unused fuel in the truck or mix with used engine oil for starting fires; slash and dead/down trash tree fires.

Native_NM

Quote from: NM_Shooter on April 24, 2014, 09:19:49 PM
Slightly off topic, I found a great app for finding gas with no Ethanol... runs on my droid and is called "Pure Gas".  Helped me to find a station with no Ethanol not far from my house.

The marina in Bluewater was selling it last year.  The lawn guys were supposedly buying more than the boaters, but that was just bar talk.

I use the quart cans of pure gas in my small engines.  I don't use enough to make it cost prohibitive.
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

rick91351

Quote from: Native_NM on June 29, 2014, 03:15:29 PM
The marina in Bluewater was selling it last year.  The lawn guys were supposedly buying more than the boaters, but that was just bar talk.

I use the quart cans of pure gas in my small engines.  I don't use enough to make it cost prohibitive.

Up here there is great demand for non-ethanol for everything from power saw (Chain saw) to ATV fuel.  Sprayers to fire pumps.  Generators to garden tractors and tillers and lawn mowers.  Yet most the time ethanol gets used.  And all that stuff spends a lot of time getting repaired mostly stuck needles and floats and folsom and jetsam in the fuel unless it gets used a lot and I mean real lot.  Then when its season is over I am pretty good at draining the fuel and carburetor bowl.  There is a product that works so well that my friend that owns a small engine repair shop uses and sells.  A tube of it in a gallon of gas in the spring time when you roll out the mower or tiller the first time.  Small engines seem to just roar to life with it.  I kid him he can not afford to sell it because it keeps stuff out of the shop so well.             

I try and keep about 25 or 30 gallons of gasoline on hand here at the ranch year round.  I do not have a bulk tank for gas.  Rather I keep it in 5 and 6 gallon plastic 'cans'  This time of the year you go through it pretty quickly with four-wheelers running all the time, chainsaws and generators now and then.  We all pretty much use Sta-Bil or Seafoam year around up here be it ethanol or real gas.  That said watching the fuel thing and small engines over the years I think it pays to 'swap over' - in the winter time to real gas because of shelf life providing your not running a lot of snowmobiles or plowing a lot of snow with the fourwheelers.  But if I did swap over I would still still use Sta-Bil or Seafoam. 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

johnecash

Another point to ponder----- With the price difference  (.15 to .40 cents a gallon around here) I still come out on the MPG.

I've run the ethanol in my Buick Roadmaster and got 20-21 mpg --- with the straight gas it gets 25+ and runs better.

-J.C.-