Repiring cracks in fibrous cement siding

Started by Dave Sparks, June 18, 2015, 12:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Sparks

Hey Don,

The siding was good for the first 5 years.  It was not wet when installed. A pretty nice April with mild temps over the week it took to go up.

I would say it is done cracking and that is the reason I am fixing it now before repainting. It does look good with the strips.

There was one section where a stud was slightly twisted and if that gives you any clue, it has the most cracks.

The bottom nailing is probably the main cause but as I said the nail height (too deep) and the rapid temp change and the ???
"we go where the power lines don't"

hpinson

The picture should remain so long as the location and link down change.

Two things were going on - format for images is [ img ]http://path/to/image.jpg[ /img ] minus the spaces. I think you had not closed a bracket. 

Also, I had to dig a bit to get to the image itself - not just the page that the image was embedded in - linking to that in the above format would not work, you have to use the direct path to the image itself. Google makes that a little difficult.  IE11 is convienient in that you can right click on an image in the browser, and get its URL path - then just cut and paste between the image tags.

You were on the right track.

Dave Sparks

Nice to be on the track at all sometimes!  Thanks I will give it try later.

Anyone who wants to see a good movie about siding, my favorite siding movie, with Danny Devito from the 80's Tin Men.

https://www.google.com/#q=movie+tin+men

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Dave Sparks

I think the scene where the sales guys drop on purpose a 100 dollar bill is priceless. De vito was great in the john grishom movie about the lawyers screwing evryone equally as they often do.
  What was the name of that one where the the medical insurance company denied coverage because they thought their client was too stupid?
Denied 8 times because you are stupid stupid stupid.

Back to siding. What I really need for this project, still have about 30 more cracks is something like a contact cement that would set fast (2 minutes or less) to hold the aluminum strip to the siding while the 5200 adhesive sets. The best beside a nail was the hot glue but I have some 28 foot peaks on this roof. Lucky most of the cracks are down low on sides that get alot of sun.

MountainDon

Contact cement:  3M 30NF  There are many sources, but I have bought from Zoro and was satisfied with the experience.

I really like this adhesive. Very low odor and non flammable and it sticks great!  Not cheap, but much better than the other NF, low odor brands I have tried. Qt is the smallest size I believe.   Available in a green tint that goes clear when dry. The white also goes clear when dry but the green makes that more apparent.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Dave Sparks

Do you think 3M 30NF  would work Don for what I want to do? You saw the picture and the surface is irregular with nails stubs and many years of movement. I can hold it for a couple minutes only. It says functional cure 24 hours, what is that mean please?

MountainDon

Not exactly sure but I think that functional means full strength cure.

I first used it as I needed something that would work with foam. This doesn't dissolve / melt foam.  Then I got to love the very low odor and the fact that it will not create an explosive atmosphere.

I think it should hold against the textured lap siding enough to work while the other adhesive sets. It has good initial tack.

Too bad we're so far apart as I have a partial qt jug in the shop.

Dave Sparks

Thanks !   I have to give some thought on this as it sounds like it will stick so fast that I may have an issue with moving the 1.5" strips over the crack.
The strips do not just "go on" and there is some positioning and sliding the strip into the lap siding overlap.

Do you think I could pry this off if I goof up?

MountainDon

If the strips have to be slid sideways into place this would not be a good choice. It produces a virtually immediate grab.

I wonder if cyanoacrylate would work? (crazy glue)  It bonds quickly and there are accelerants that make it flash and set immediately. It is not waterproof but that won't matter after the other adhesive sets.

Dave Sparks

Great minds think alike! My wife just bought some for a project she is doing and will give me the tube after she uses 1/2 of it.
I was not implying that I was great mind with you :(  She probably is with you :D

Thanks Don!

MountainDon

Sprinkling a little baking soda on the CA gives it an instant set just like store bought accelerant. Accelerants smell, baking soda does not

Don_P