Dogtrot at Hightop

Started by Redoverfarm, November 25, 2007, 08:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Pretty sweet :)  I'll be interested in how well the power system works out :)  [cool]

MountainDon

48 volts makes for a nice simple series set of batteries.

If you find yourself needing more power you have the option of another series string connected in parallel. Even better than that would be to find a buyer for those 8 and replace them with another string of batteries or cells with larger capacity. That would be my ideal, but initial cost held me back.

FYI, with 48 volts you are now in or very near the point where the DC voltage is high enough to kill. It will also cause some very serious arcing / welding if something shorts across the top connections. Be good to get those enclosed and vented soon.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

It's been a long hard but enjoyable journey building Dogtrot.  There are just a few little loose ends to tie up but for the most part the major construction is finished.  So what do you do when something is finished.  CELEBRATE.  So with that being said I am sending out an invitation to my CP family and friends to join us at Dogtrot the weekend of October 15.  I realize that for some it may be too much of a journey but for others maybe not so much.  Helping celebrate will be musicians friends of my son and our family that play traditional Applachain Music as well as others who have helped this dream become a reality. I guess you would call it a House (Cabin) Warming, West Virginia style.  So for anyone that is interested just PM me or send an E-mail for specifics.  :)

Sassy

Wow, that sounds like fun!   [cool]   Would love to go but doubt if we'd be able to make it.   

Take some more pics of the inside, please???  You've certainly created a beautiful house/cabin, wish I could see it  :(

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Redoverfarm

Yes Sassy it should be a good time for all.  It will also coincide with the peak or near peak fall foliage changing. A relaxing time after the summer rush before the winter actually hits.  You can never go wrong with good friends, good food and good entertainment.   ;D

MountainDon

I/we would love to attend, but being only half retired and half a continent+ away it's kind of difficult. That would be a good trip, many things out there I would like to see, not to mention other members I'd like to bother visit.   :D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

That's a trip I'd love to make but I just can't swing it this year. Way too much to do. Congrats on getting it all done John. I know what a job it's been.  :)

Redoverfarm

Quote from: MountainDon on September 18, 2011, 10:44:38 PM
I/we would love to attend, but being only half retired and half a continent+ away it's kind of difficult. That would be a good trip, many things out there I would like to see, not to mention other members I'd like to bother visit.   :D

Thats understandable Don and Scott.  I really didn't expect anyone would travel that far but I thought I would offer.  We are limited in numbers on the East Coast but since most members do not place there geographic area this is the only way to get the word out. If an when you do get a chance to grace your presence I think it will still be there and you are welcome. Take Care.

Redoverfarm

Moving right along.  Broke down and took the cast iron bed along with another one to a metal fabricator to have them sandblasted.  Should be finished the first part of next week.    I was making progress with the little Sears sandblaster until my air compresser gave up the ghost.  That is the second Porter Cable 6 gal compresser that I had go bad in the past two years.   d*  Note to self do not buy another one.

The power system is working great.  Although I haven't used alot of power today for the first time in several it reached the preset charge volts.  It started the generator on its own and after about 1-1/2 hours of charging it shut the generator down.  Scary when something works that smoothly for me.  [scared]

I've been putting some final touches that somehow got over looked over the past 6 years. Added two outside waterproof recepticles and one flood lamp.  Luckily they were an easy fix.  One recepticle and flood light was opposite two interior recepticles so just drilling through the wall and branching off them gave me power to where I needed.  The basement recepticle required some conduit and considerable more wire from the panel box. The flood light actually should have been wired to the gable ridge area for greater light distibution but this will work.  I didn't realize just how dark that end of the cabin was until a week or so ago.

Heres a few pics

Parking area light

Basement

Outside Firplace lounging area

I picked up a gas grill for the cabin the other day.  It was a Kenmore 53,000 BTU on sale at Kmart for 50% off.  Seemed like a good buy for $135.  Now I will not have to haul mine for the house everytime I want to grill.

Also installed some additional bathroom fixtures for towels, toilet paper and the like. Caulked around the shower , floor tile and between the sinks and the wall.

Tomarrow I guess it will be more of the same.

glenn kangiser

Very Nice, John but you must continue to keep a running project of some sort going there forever....

Old Chinese Proverb... The Man Who Finishes His House Dies.... [waiting]

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Yes Glenn I don't think there is any worry about not always having something to do.  Crunch time getting things completed for http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=3613.msg143244#msg143244.  Just got my guttering delivered the other day.  I have been assembling the drops and end caps to be ready to install as soon as I can get an extra set of hands to install it.  Did make a bench out of the left over mantle beam.  I'll have to post a picture of it when I get it finished.

Redoverfarm

Another homemade furnishing for the cabin this week.  I had an extra piece of wall log that was remaining from the fireplace mantle so I decided I needed a hefty bench.  The jury is still out on the species of wood but I hope to get an answer shortly.  I was told that it is Poplar but several knowledgeable person said it is not. Keep in mind that this piece is approximately 245-265 years old.  Hopefully it will last again as long.

The bench measures 4-1/2" thick (legs included) X 14" wide X 48" long.  The legs are let in full dovetails.  Due that massive dovetail I solicited my friend Mikey from a nearby Woodworking School  http://www.pocahontaswoods.com to help with their larger woodworking machines.  The dovetail is about 3" X 2-1/2".  I just wish I owned 1/3 of their equipment. Hopefully this winter I can make a Chestnut farm table to accompany it in the kitchen of the cabin.  

This is the side which still retains the original tree bark surface (removed).  With the curvature the dovetail does not quite meet on the edge front.

This is a picture of the back side which was plained flat and the dovetail are flush to the bench seat.

Sassy

Another nice piece of woodworking, Red!  Looks incredibly stout  [cool]

ScottA

dug

Great work, I'm sure it will be around long after us.

ChuckinVa

I hope to be sitting on it he 15th of October. ;D
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

Redoverfarm

I'll put a "reserved" sign on it for you.   ;D

Redoverfarm

Well the jury is in.  The bench is made of Hickory. 

Redoverfarm

Busy day yesterday.  Stained two 5 foot swings for the front porch.  My original plan was to run railings around the front porch but I ran into a design flaw.   d*.  Opposite the corner post against the cabin on both ends there are windows .  There is not that much elevation from the porch deck to the ground but I would just fell better with some type of barrier.  There was no way to secure a railing post against the cabin wall that would support the railing short of a tall post in front of the window. NOT.  So I decided to install the swings on the porch ends.  If someone does fall off the porch they will be swinging as the hit the ground.   ;D  Photo's to follow.  I hate staining because of the time needed to dry between coats of the stain and finished protective coat ( spar) but I guess I will just have to be patient.
I went to Lowes to pick up a gallon of the stain that I previously used on the cabin trim to use on the swings. Yes you guessed it they no longer make that type of stain.  They (Olympic) now only make the higher priced type.  Same color basicly but it is Water based rather than Oil.  Found that out the hard way trying to wash things up afterward.

Also got 90% of the guttering installed.  Had to work by flashlight on the 32' run on the porch. My contractor friend arrived late but did show.  There was no way I could install the two inside corners portions by myself. I only have two more 6' runs to put up on either side of the porch and the downspouts and that chore will be done.

glenn kangiser

The bench is a beauty, John.  Looking forward to seeing more pix of your latest handiwork.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

I guess you could say that the Cabin Warming was a success.  There was approximately 40 people in attendance. The menu for supper was barbequed chicken, pepper pork loins, baked potatoe, green beans, tossed salad with an assortment of other side dishes brought in by the friends.  Breakfast this morning was sausage gravey and biscuit, buckwheat cakes with local maple syrup and eggs fixed on the wood cookstove.  

After supper there was great entertainment by some of the best musicians in the region and state.  Oh Yes the liquid refreshments ( Tuning oil) was in abundance as well.  The music continued throughout the night and I believe it terminated at about 5:00 AM.  I left my son in charge at about 2:30 and turned in at the house after an exhausting week.

Couple of improvements were made before the festivities.

A decorative "dump rake" wheel on the fireplace.

Porch swing and rocker on the west porch end.

The wrought iron bed refinished

Porch swing and rocker on the east porch end

Sofa , chair , endtables and lamps in the living room.

Here are some snapshots of people having a great time. I was having problems with my camera so I couldn't get an videos of the music and lost a lot of candid pictures

This little fella couldn't keep up with the big dogs and decided to take a tap on the landing

Rob_O

Wish I could have made it, looks like you had some experienced musicians there
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

Sassy

Me too!  Sounds like a lot of fun was had by all, the cabin looks fantastic & the menu sounded delicious  :)

UK4X4

awsome bench- certainly outlive me !

is it strange for a foreigner to allways ascociate banjos with the film "deliverence" ?

maybe just my age group !

Rob_O

Quote from: UK4X4 on October 16, 2011, 07:32:37 PM

is it strange for a foreigner to always associate banjos with the film "deliverance" ?

Not all banjo players are inbred homosexual rapists

This may help. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFzZXvivo4c

"Hey Y'all, watch this..."