Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitlock

Quote from: glenn kangiser on February 29, 2012, 10:21:51 PM
Working on making more flat spots here so I can move the usable unnatural resources from the other place before the thieves get it all.  [frus]

Seems old steel is worth enough now that a pile of unnatural resources down in the valley is no longer even semi-safe.

Whitlock came over and helped me get the Bobcat tire on for about the fourth time the other day.  A rock had rolled between the rim and the frame assisted by the tracks and crushed the rim pretty bad.  I straightened it out, grinding, welding and polishing as needed.  It kept coming undone.  Whitlock watched as I was working and noted the rim spinning inside the bead of the tire about 100 miles an hour. 

....Whitlock says I am exaggerating.........whatever..... [noidea'

I finally decided to run the pressure up to about 75 psi.  Shortly all of the mounting soap was squished out and it grabbed the rim and hung on.  Part of the problem was that I put 1/2 gallon of tire sealer inside with the little rubber chunks in it.  It also was slippery until squished out of the bead area.  Going good now.... :)....

....until all of the violent digging rocks and clay jarred the battery mount loose, the bolt stuck under the alternator belt causing smoke to fill the cab and obstruct my vision..... the engine continued running destroying the belt and nearly jamming the bolt through the top of the battery.

Whitlock says I always break things... well.... I have news for him.  I didn't this time.  For almost 5 1/2 hours.  [scared]

Is it fixed yet?
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

glenn kangiser

Yeah buddy....

All fixed and tearing things up again.  Tire was a little low last night and slipped on the rim a little but with all of that white goop with the rubber chunks in it, it stayed sealed and didn't come off.

Whitlock called and said he could hear me digging rocks at his place.  A couple miles as the crow flies but about 3 or 4 miles by road.  Noisy? Moi? [noidea'

I have most of the area filled in the back and am just getting to the part where I expand the area behind the sawmill so I can get a planer in there to smooth some of the boards for places where Sassy wants smoother boards.  [ouch] 

Got a planer from Harry51.  Its a lot like me... old but still works... [frus]

Some of the wood we cut a while back is looking very much like barn or corral wood rather than the fine high quality stock I require for my precision craftsmanship..... [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

"I'm tellin' you, Daughter, don't fall for that old grain on the hay trick... He's just trying to get us to come up here for it so he doesn't have to get up off of his lazy bum to go looking for us... "

Meanwhile back at the ranch, everyone is enjoying eating the new 2 inches of growth of the grass since the last couple of rains we have had....  "  Hey Bossy and Clown, come on up here ...this is some good stuff.... "   [waiting]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on March 04, 2012, 11:46:46 PM

Some of the wood we cut a while back is looking very much like barn or corral wood rather than the fine high quality stock I require for my precision craftsmanship..... [waiting]

What species was it?  Did you have it covered with some metal roofing, or was it left out in the sun?  What's going on with it? Warping, splitting, other??   
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

Mostly Sugar Pine, PEG with some Ponderosa.  All in a great big stack - trimmed one side only or not trimmed either side.  Rain - sun, snow.  Some of the boards are about 20 or more inches wide.  Mostly 1 5/8 with some 7/8.  Some Oak leaves and pine needles falling on them staining many kind of black.  We will rework the storage for them now too with much more room to care for future boards better.  Just no room now to work them with the forklift.  Probably have to take out a tree or two like Whitlock has been after me to do so we could work easier.  Just didn't have much room behind either before or any place to go once we got them away from the stack.

I got most of the stuff to set up the 1890 ? or so planer that I got from Harry Monday.  Two new flat drive belts to replace the laminated horse hide belts it came with.  I got a 16? hp Wisconsin Robin engine to run it with that I will replace the electric motor with. 

As I am making new flat spots on the mountain side, Whitlock and I were looking at better ways to handle the logs and boards from the sawmill.  The planer would give me some new unnatural resources too... wood shavings.  They could be used in lots of places - chicken pen etc, then Sassy would get the nice planed boards she would like too.

Sassy got a pix of my wood chopping before the last storm.  Avg 32 inch dia Black Oak log I brought up with the forklift about 12 feet long.  Sawed - split with the maul in about 3 to 4 hours.  A bit under a cord I guess after splitting.

A little damp so I split a lot of it pretty small to dry out a bit faster.

glenn kangiser

Took a break from the grueling routines at the underground complex yesterday.  A bit farther up Burma Grade to Soapstone Ridge, around the mined out slate quarry near Grizzly Mountain and on down to the no mans land of Bull Creek.... kinda picturesque eh?

Saw the old Town and Country sitting along the side of the road on the way.  The make and model escapes me... [noidea'

Little rain this year but things are finally starting to green up with the amounts we have had so far.  A small amount of snow still behind the quarry on the north side of the mountain.

A bit past the old car alongside the road was an old springbox supplying water to a cattle trough... like they couldn't just walk up to it and drink directly from it. hmm

Didn't know if we would make it before dark so I didn't tell Sassy , but we dropped in to have a look at Bower Cave along the way home.  Something she has wanted to do for years but I never got the opportunity to take her there until yesterday.  It is around an hour away from the underground complex if you drive straight to it without stopping.

Yup - we made it and she got to hike along the rocks at the top for a look down inside. 

I guess we may have woke up the wise old Bower Owl clamoring along the top of the cave opening because he flew out to have a look at what we were up to. 

In the stage coach to Yosemite days there was a motel outside by the old toll road and people would come from all over to dance in the cave to bands playing on the raised wooden bandstand still visible through the tree now growing in the cave.

Bower Cave History

http://www.grovelandmuseum.org/Bower-Cave-History.html

Bower Cave

In March of 1953 Jon Lindbergh, son of the famous aviator Charles Lindbergh, conducted the first dives into Bower Cave's lake. Equipment included an Aqualung and "frogsuit," two tanks of air (one with an early warning device) one 250'and two 80' ropes. Due to the 50 degree frigid water, the dives were made over two days and lasted approximately one hour each.

Lindbergh discovered a large, dry room at a depth of approximately 150' with more speloethems (cave formations) and dove from there into darker waters to an undesignated depth.

Some five significant dives made since Jon paved the way have led to the discovery of rare organisms found only in this and surrounding Mariposa County caves.

Sassy

Per Mtn Don,  one more wish fulfilled on my "bucket list!"  It was really cool seeing that cave - I'd read up on it years ago when we were 1st up here & have always wanted to see it, so Glenn surprised me  :) 

The whole drive was neat, way out in the back areas - an especially beautiful day w/blue skies, high 60's & everything green.  What fun!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

MountainDon

That looks like an interesting place. What direction from the underground complex? Hey@, etc.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

It is near Greeley Hill above Coulterville off the old Greeley Hill road near Groveland headed toward Bull Creek.  It is a pretty cool cave.  There are others along the Mother Lode too.  Highway 49 has wonderful history.  :)

glenn kangiser

Is it spring yet?  [noidea'

I noticed a pix in the online paper showing the poppies up toward Yosemite in full bloom.  Gotta get all the way up there soon and get a few pix before they are gone.

Took these as we were up on Burma Grade the other day. 

One of my favorite times of year.

Working on the dragline bucket strawberry planter for Sassy today.  Using a bunch of our composted horse manure and wood chips.  Hope that makes them taste good.  [hungry]

Planted about a 30 foot row of potatoes that had sprouted in a gunny sack also this morning.  Trying to get ahead of it this year as I didn't get to do it last year.  I always try to plant before it is really warm enough so that I am in practice to replant after the early stuff all freezes.  Actually there is a lot of stuff that will take the cold weather just fine and maybe even give us a bit to eat.  :)

glenn kangiser

OK... my ornery little bull decided he wanted to dawdle and not come in with the rest of the crew so... I had to go looking for him.  After losing Beefsteak to the housing project down the hill last week and having to cut the fence to bribe him back with grain, I wasn't taking any chances.  Beefsteak went through a section of fence that was chainlink... just grazed his way right underneath it and on into the greener grass on the other side..... [waiting]

The only neighbor lady interested enough to take my number was kind enough to call me and tell me he was out.  Thanks, nice lady.  :)

I loaded grain and hay into the Bushhog and took off 4 wheeling down to the spring then cross country until it got too rough to go further.... then the next 1/2 mile or so on foot through gullies - up hills - down into ravines and through the brush.  No bad fences.  Finally came to a large dead down bull pine and drizzle rain made it safe to burn it.  Called burn day info and it was good so out came the trusty lighter and I made a few attempts at lighting twigs with the lighter then a couple scraps of paper I had in my pocket.  Third time was a charm and in a couple hours most of the appx 30' x 60' pile of tree and brush was history.  Still burning today three days later...

The above pix was from our road above looking down at it a couple hours later.

Still no bull and it had been a couple hours.  Hiked back cross country to the Bushhog and carefully took it up the hillside.  This hill is steep enough to roll it if I go straight sideways so I sometimes have to move sideways by angling backward up and forward down rather than straight to where I want to go.

Figured it was about time to call the Sheriff Animal Control to see if they had found him... but... when I got back to the house there he was with the rest of the herd.... grrrrrrRRRRRR... [frus]

Oh well - guess I needed the exercise anyway... and the tree is now much less fire hazard as well as making more pasture and removing a giant obstacle for the cows grazing.

Productive stuff.... made Sassy a cabinet for the bathroom - recycled plywood we had from moving a piano from the other place and a bit of Early American Settler with Screws style handiwork....  (Whitlock says he knows I can do better but I just don't want to... ) Rustic functional..... another name for my lazy mans furniture.  Sassy does a great job of sanding and finishing it though so it still looks good.

But...... she is asking for smoother wood in some places.  I have the boards I talked about earlier I think - left out for a while but the little Chinese Rigid planer is not much for the big stuff, so I got this turn of the century one from Harry51 via Whitlock's mention that I needed it.  Currently putting it together with a 16hp Wisconsin Robin engine I picked up from MikeyB (another friend member who doesn't check in often).

This little rascal will do something like an 8"x 24" board by whatever length....... there.... that should handle it.   :)

Redoverfarm

Yeah Glenn they are like most creatures in that they observe a "pattern of habit".  If you have been feeding regularly they will most likely come to the same area at the time that you normally feed.  They associate sounds to that feeding as well.  They will deviate when love is in the air.   ;)  Mine in the past would recognize the sound of my truck or what it looked like when I turned in the driveway and quickly make their way to the trough.  Been watching the market here and the prices are higher than I have ever seen. ???  Seem to be some connection between Beff & Gas  ;D   [crz]

glenn kangiser

That was a bit of what threw me off too, John.  Normally when I go through the field with the Bushhog he and the rest follow me for food - often charging right after me.  [noidea'

All I can think of is that he was behind the trees in the neighbors adjoining pasture and when he heard the Bushhog he went to the corral for food through the top gate with the rest rather than following me and since there are a lot of trees I just did not see him.  All gates in the three properties are open now since the neighbor is sharing pasture with us.  I guess he was just enjoying a bit of pasture grass or something and lagged behind the rest. 

I have never had a problem with him even with cows in the pasture on the West side where the fences are really old.  He is normally just a good little guy.  :)

glenn kangiser

About 4 1/2 inches of rain here in the last 24 hours including nearly 8 inches of snow.... [noidea'

I suppose the old garage looks the same as it has in the last 8 or so years of snow pictures, but what the heck... how about another one.... 

Spike, Susie and Princess were out enjoying the snow too... running wild and showing off...

Now....something new and original... this is the first snow for the old tractor... Don't reckon I'll be getting out and plowing the hillsides with that ol' tractor with this much snow on the ground... [ouch]

PEG688

Nice!    One thing about the weather these  days is ya never know what it'll be like tomorrow!!
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

You got it, PEG.  Now mostly sunny til next Saturday... unless they decide to change it.... [noidea'

glenn kangiser

WoW....!!!

Spring has arrived and I feel so.... well.... Springy.... [waiting]

QuoteThis year spring will make its earliest arrival since the late 19th century: 1896, to be exact.

The vernal equinox — the first day of spring — will arrive Tuesday (March 20) at 05:14 Universal Time, or 1:14 a.m. EDT. Even more intriguing is that for those in the Mountain and Pacific Time zones, the equinox will actually arrive Monday night (March 19).   

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46786974/ns/technology_and_science-space/#.T2glDtXX-Ht

[ouch]

Windpower

It is almost like summer here in IL 60 and 70's

definitely nice

I knew it was a good sign when the cranes started passing over in early March with their 'squeaky hinge' croaks

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

rick91351

Very pretty nice spring snow the have there Glenn.   [waiting] 

By the way, you have a lot of work to do up here.  All that rain you sent up here in the last few weeks.  Well it got together with that belated cold weather and snow Ol'Jarhead and the Okanogan Gang had sent down this way.  Well your rain hit all that nice frozen ground and had no where to go.  Culverts got plugged, roads got washed out.

From Boise up to Smiths Prairie where the ranch is at, there is several miles of totally washed out road.  A couple culverts are totally missing!   ???  The people that live up there its not like they are totally stranded.  They can go and come over the road to Mountain Home.  Which in the winter time is the best way to go anyway.  It even tried to cut the abutments on the Neil Bridge across the South Fork of the Boise River.  They have had to move all the big equipment down there.  A couple D-8's, and front end loaders working the road from both directions.  Top that off the price of fuel!  We are a small highway district so any help would help greatly.

:D  So please all you guys from California that sent rain up this way, and all you guys from Washington cold and snow down this way.  Now please send money to fix the messes you all dumped on us Spuds... Please send checks, cash, money orders to Let Fix Idaho Mountain Roads.  PO Box 1010 South St Station,  Zulu, South Africa.  We will see it gets into the proper hands..............  Better yet just send them to me and I will see they get in to the proper hands......       
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

glenn kangiser

Ready for more spring here Windpower.  :)

Rick, we don't have enough work in California to be able to afford gas to get to Idaho, so possibly if you could just send the work this way and when you send the check we will send your roads back all repaired..... [waiting]

Redoverfarm

I am with Rick.  You could have at least held off on sending your West Coast rain this way.  Road building and rain do not go together very well.   :(  But we welcome the warmer weather.  :)

rick91351

Quote from: glenn kangiser on March 21, 2012, 12:41:36 AM
Ready for more spring here Windpower.  :)

Rick, we don't have enough work in California to be able to afford gas to get to Idaho, so possibly if you could just send the work this way and when you send the check we will send your roads back all repaired..... [waiting]

;D  Sort of figured the plea for funds would go that way. What if I send proof I'm a 501c3?  I have never made a profit and can prove it! ;D
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

glenn kangiser

We had enough rain, John.  Almost 5 inches rain and almost 8 snow in 2 days.....  we are ready to go back to building with mud and straw.... [ouch]

Rick, I also am in the same status.... I am willing to think about working for food...... [waiting]

John Raabe

Nice photos Glenn, but those pretty Spring snows don't stay pretty too long.

Spring is late up here in WA and the first trees are just starting to show some color. Frost this morning but the rain has let up for now...
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

You got it, John.  Spring snow melts away to reveal.... Spring Mud.... we have a lot.  [ouch]

You quickly learn where not to work and what to not try to do so it does not become so much of a problem... after the first few times or unless there is something you just must really do... like pulling a trailer with 4 tons of cast iron unnatural resources and artifacts up the hill....

Jamb it into 4 low... stomp it to the floor and sling it over the top of the truck until you make it or slide off the road trying.... got to go down the hill and unload the trailer in the spare driveway where it is stuck soon.... [waiting]