Allow me to introduce myself

Started by Sparrow, June 28, 2006, 08:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparrow

HI, I'm Sparrow and the reason I picked this nic is...

Once upon a time, there was a nonconforming sparrow who decided not to fly south for the winter. However, soon the weather turned so cold that he reluctantly started southward. In a short time, ice began to form on his wings and he fell to earth in a barnyard, almost frozen. A cow passed by and crapped on the little sparrow. The sparrow thought it was the end. But then the manure warmed him and defrosted his wings. Warm and happy, able to breathe, he started to sing. Just then a large cat came by and hearing the chirping, investigated the sounds. The cat cleared away the manure, found the chirping sparrow and promptly ate him.

THE MORAL OF THE STORY

1. Everyone who craps on you is not necessarily your enemy.
2. Everyone who gets you out of crap is not necessarily your friend.
3. And, if you're warm and happy in a pile of crap, keep your mouth shut!

My moral to that story is, I'm never warm and happy in a pile of crap, especially when the govt is the one piling the crap on me, and have a tendency to make change if possible.  My main interests are politics and survivalism.  I'm not anti American, I'm anti govt in it's present form, I love this country and consider myself a true Patriot.  I'm a firm believer in my God given rights that are outlined in the Bill of Rights, I'm also a firm believer that the govt has no role in my private life.  

I'm also a survivalist, I believe in being as prepared as possible for any situation.  My DH and I are  presently working towards self sufficiency, we just recently purchased a small amount of land and hope to homestead completely off the grid.  Originally we weren't planning on being completely off the grid but govt BS has made us change our mind, actually, after I changed "my" mind, and then I had the task of changing DH's mind.   I don't know if he changed his mind because I made him see the error of his ways or he got tired of listening to me.  ;D

Our living situtation at this time is living in our 35' travel trailer and parking it on my daughters land.  When I tried to get power on the new land, I was told that before I could get power, I would have to face the building inspector and get a septic tank installed.  NOT!!!  It just boggles my mind that a self contained RV has to be inspected and a septic has to be installed.   >:(  I can't imagine why I can't just get a power pole with a couple of outlets installed.  I've been interested in solar power for a long time anyway, it's just been a matter of figuring out what we need, I've been doing some research on the subject so I'll figure it out sooner or later.  Note that I always say "I", the reason being is DH talks a big game but the truth is, he's spoiled.  He didn't grow up like I did, he grew up taking golf lessons while I was using an outhouse and pumping water from the hand pump in the yard, he's from California, I'm from Maine, we currently live in SC.  

The major thing we're debating right now is bathroom facility for dumping the holding tank.  DH doesn't like the idea but yet he's not willing to take the waste to an official dumping station and he's afraid the EPA will come aknockin'.  I've tried to impress upon him that, that's the way we did it in the olden days and many many people still do.  His biggest problem is, he's a carpenter and builds houses for the rich and famous, so his mindset is, we have to do it just like he does it for them, the only difference is, we don't have their wallet.  But I digress!  

We've also discussed building a small cabin which is why I went searching for cabin plans, and luckily happened upon this site, have spent a good deal of today browsing here.  

My hobby is crafts, I have my own craft forum http://thecraftyswapshop.com/phpBB2/ and my next favorite website is Crack the Matrix http://www.elmundovc.com/phpbb/index.php?sid=78c13c4c9ca6b03f1616aee79950eea3 it's an excellent political site, owned by a good friend of mine, the focus is on how to remove yourself from Fedcorp.  

I guess I've introduced myself in my usual style,  ;D hope to become an asset to this wonderful forum.  

Sassy

Hi Sparrow - welcome to the forum!  Thanks for the link to "Crack the Matrix" forum.  I also looked at your website - some good stuff...  ;)  Have you looked at the "off-topic/rants/politics" section?  John started that awhile back when some of us (like Glenn & me  ::) ) would go off on one of our rants... he had to keep some kind of order... after all, this is primarily about helping people to build their own cabins/homes & become more self-sufficient.  :) 8-)  We are off grid & are building our own place - not the most conventional of homes...  :o .  I still have to look at your craft forum (got involved in reading threads from the Matrix site. )  Sassy

glenn-k

That sounds like a start of a good land story to me Sparrow.  Hope I listened well enough but are you going to be putting the cabin on a separate piece of property to get off grid?  Or going off grid on the property you are on?

Welcome to the forum.

I assume since you are still posting that you remained quiet-- so it may be appropriate to hit the shower, eh? :)  Glenn -- another NSA registered dissenter.

Sparrow

Thanks Sassy and Glenn for the welcome.  

Moving my comments was appropriate, I have a tendency to get involved in the heat of the moment and not think about maybe my comments would be more appropriate elsewhere.  :)

Sassy, glad to see you're finding interesting and worthy stuff at the Matrix, it has some very interesting info on how to remove yourself from the fedcorp chains.  Hope to see you on the Swap Shop too.  I just started that site 2 months ago and right now the focus is mainly on swaps and contests but I'm hoping to add a lot more variety of crafts and crafters soon.  I started it as a place to host the swaps and most of the members followed me from another site for that reason.  They are dear people and some have become my friends but to be honest, most of them are not survival oriented and I need that survival stimulation.  :D

QuoteI assume since you are still posting that you remained quiet-- so it may be appropriate to hit the shower, eh?

:D, nah

We have the land, we're going to put our RV there and our original intention was, that after we got done jumping thru the county's hoops then we would put a cabin on that same land.  There's already a nice clearing for building but I'm there's also a nice little spot in the woods that would make a great spot for an obscure cabin.

http://www.elmundovc.com/phpbb/index.php

http://thecraftyswapshop.com/phpBB2/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
--William Pitt (1759-1806)

Jimmy_Cason

Okay,. help me out.. What does DH stand for.  Pioneer gal uses the same initials sometimes. Dear Husband? Dear Heart? Dorky Husband?

Nevermind... I found the answer after searching the letters Dh in all of the postings.  

The beach stair thread explains it..
http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1141580822/0

Amanda_931

a) Some of what goes into your black- and grey-water tanks can be a public health issue.  Greywater let set for a couple of weeks is truly nasty--says the voice of experience here.  ;) .   Driving to a dump station would be a serious pain for me.  Also the trailer gray- and black-water outlet is unfortunately downhill from the septic  tank inlet--and I had thought it was going to be the other way.  So I have a composting toilet, but I shower elsewhere, rarely cook--coffee grounds on the garden don't count as a problem I figure.  But I do have a septic tank because one of these years I'd love to have a studio right here.  

I'm quite comfortable with the decision because instead of 18 months to get something built, it's been five and a half years, and five years that I've had electricity--had a phone before that.   It wasn't cheap then.  Clearing land, paying for a utility company pole--not the same as the trailer pole.  

b) Sometimes you can get a "temporary pole."  Around here I think that they may be limited in time, and I'm pretty sure that the electricity costs about twice what a permanent installation would.  And I'm sure you would have to  pay for the pole with box and meter base and inspection.   But here you'd have to pay for the trailer pole and box anyway.

c) Also around here, one can get an existing privy grandfathered in.  Maybe even a new one.  And that makes it possible for the utility (REMC here--Rural Electric Membership Cooperative--not local government) to set you up.  Toilet not greywater seems to be what they are interested in.

But there are plenty of people who have decided that going all solar is the best alternative.  Especially if the utility company is going to charge you ten grand or something to hook you up.  It does happen.   Minimal set-up atarts at a couple of hundred, which if you could use only 12 volt and run the refrigerator on propane, get a propane only heater, might work for you, and have a small generator for occasional other uses and long periods of cloudy weather.  Probably run you less than one utility pole.  But the price can go, not only up, but way, way up from there for a system that you don't have to think about much, just live with all the comforts of home--like air conditioning.  

I think I'll post a link to a relatively green, runnable on solar AC system.  It starts at around six grand, plus enough solar panels for anything except backup, but those of us in the south-east are going to have to add an option that will a) remove humidity from the inside air and b) collect it as potable water.  Probably an expensive option.  But some of the stuff I've seen has indicated that it can act as your charger/inverter.