Looking for land?

Started by oracle, July 21, 2011, 11:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oracle

Keep in mind that I will not be buying land for at least 6 years from now. I know a lot can change from now until then. But I thought If I start to search, learn how to, and what it takes to buy land and the costs and can be better educated when the time comes. I've even considered calling agents to talk about the land they are selling (even if I have no intention of buying) just to get used to the experience. Enough of this blah blah...

I am looking for 5-20 acres, maybe more if its cheap enough $2000/acre or less

I don't want crazy amounts of snow or temps below 30 would be too cold, heat doesn't bother me much

Minimal/cheap permits for building

minimal building codes

Water source would be nice, but not necessary.

I have looked in Northern CA (siskyou county seems to be the cheapest up north). San Bernardino county seems to be cheapest down south. I like Oregon and Washington, But doesn't it get pretty cold in winter. The coast is moderate but land is $$$$$ on the coastal counties.

How are the Eastern areas of Oregon and Washington? More dessert like ya?

I have checked into some counties in AZ, seems nice.

Texas looks great as far as freedom to build as you please in some counties, (maybe not all counties). What about water in the western side of Texas.

Hhahaha, I am scared to move into the southern/ eastern half of the U.S. because of tornadoes, not for my safety but because it would destroy everything I own.

I keep hearing "magical" things about the Ozarks or maybe the word Ozarks just sounds mysterious and alluring to me, but for reals it looks nice there.

My plan: To live off grid, solar, wind power, self reliant, work for myself (aka sell goods from my farm), make medicine, strive to produce as much as I can my self and my farm, raise animals for food, bees, water catchment, ponds, fish, frolic in the nude, etc etc...

Sorry for the long post

MountainDon

A lot can change in six years time. More regulations, higher fees and other governmental costs. Those could conceivably change radically and ruin the present day dream in the future. So todays nirvana could become a hell on earth. 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

oracle

Quote from: MountainDon on July 21, 2011, 11:40:48 PM
A lot can change in six years time. More regulations, higher fees and other governmental costs. Those could conceivably change radically and ruin the present day dream in the future. So todays nirvana could become a hell on earth. 

Hahha, very true. Maybe I will repost in 5-6 years!   :)

oracle

OK lets say I am in the market now, forget a few years (6) down the road.

rwanders

Very few areas, if any, are not subject to risk from nature----tornadoes, earthquakes, forest fires, floods, etc, etc.  I think you will find the Ozarks built up a lot more than you anticipate even now and land prices not as cheap as you would hope. Tennessee, especially eastern part has lots of big, deep lakes and land is relatively cheaper. think about tax situation too---not all states have income taxes for instance---some have fairly low property taxes but higher sales taxes---some vice versa. Some counties impose steep "impact fees" for new construction---as much as 10,000 in many parts of Florida and even higher in lot of California counties. You can google state taxes and cost of living comparisons and find whole websites that will help you compare all kinds of factors including crime rates, taxes, income levels, school systems, etc. Land costs and permit fees are but two of many variables you will want to explore.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

oracle

Quote from: rwanders on July 22, 2011, 09:15:51 PM
Very few areas, if any, are not subject to risk from nature----tornadoes, earthquakes, forest fires, floods, etc, etc.  I think you will find the Ozarks built up a lot more than you anticipate even now and land prices not as cheap as you would hope. Tennessee, especially eastern part has lots of big, deep lakes and land is relatively cheaper. think about tax situation too---not all states have income taxes for instance---some have fairly low property taxes but higher sales taxes---some vice versa. Some counties impose steep "impact fees" for new construction---as much as 10,000 in many parts of Florida and even higher in lot of California counties. You can google state taxes and cost of living comparisons and find whole websites that will help you compare all kinds of factors including crime rates, taxes, income levels, school systems, etc. Land costs and permit fees are but two of many variables you will want to explore.

Well I live in an earthquake zone (Bay Area) California. I have never ever worried about earthquakes or even considered or made choices around them occurring. Same goes with Hawaii and Hurricanes. I lived in california for 15 years and Hawaii for 7.

But I am not from the south. I don't know how I feel about tornadoes in those areas, I guess because I never lived their.

Although Natural disasters do and can happen almost anywhere.

rick91351

Sounds like you are asking yourself the right questions.  However it sounds you most likely need to create a list with priorities you fell that are important.
Is finding a place that is:

"I don't want crazy amounts of snow or temps below 30 would be too cold, heat doesn't bother me much".
Is that more important than?  "I am looking for 5-20 acres, maybe more if its cheap enough $2000/acre or less" 

Then you say:  "Water source would be nice, but not necessary."  But then you further state you wish to: "farm, raise animals for food, bees, water catchment, ponds, fish."

If you wish to raise animals and farm, cheap water is very important.  That would be number one.  Pumping water from underground in appraisable amounts to farm with is very costly.  Water is the main thing standing between between cheap waste ground and 'Shangri-La'.

You say you want to "work for myself (aka sell goods from my farm)"  There again you will need a source of good cheap water if there is not enough rain.  That involves water rights.  You can have creeks, ditches and canals running through your property and you can not take from them.  Here in Idaho you can even have springs on your property that you can not use with out filing on them for livestock use or domestic.  Not having water means hauling potable water many miles over many times rough dusty roads.  Then do you want to put up with rough dusty roads?  Rough dusty roads in the summer times some times means impassable muddy roads in the winter.  Especially if they never freeze up enough to drive over.  'One of the benefits of cold weather.'

I would say you have a vision and a desire.  For it to be brought to birth will require a lot of planing.  From what do want to raise and equipment needed, to what kind of dwelling are you willing to live in.  Is there a market in the area for what you want to bring to sell?  Be it raspberries or hand crafted wooden chairs.  Be it hand made quilts to hand crafted cheeses you can have produce and product.  However if no one has the need nor desire to buy then reward is greatly diminished.  Not killed because then you might start looking to other outlets.                   

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

oracle

Quote from: rick91351 on July 24, 2011, 09:38:39 AM
Sounds like you are asking yourself the right questions.  However it sounds you most likely need to create a list with priorities you fell that are important.
Is finding a place that is:

"I don't want crazy amounts of snow or temps below 30 would be too cold, heat doesn't bother me much".
Is that more important than?  "I am looking for 5-20 acres, maybe more if its cheap enough $2000/acre or less" 

Then you say:  "Water source would be nice, but not necessary."  But then you further state you wish to: "farm, raise animals for food, bees, water catchment, ponds, fish."

If you wish to raise animals and farm, cheap water is very important.  That would be number one.  Pumping water from underground in appraisable amounts to farm with is very costly.  Water is the main thing standing between between cheap waste ground and 'Shangri-La'.

You say you want to "work for myself (aka sell goods from my farm)"  There again you will need a source of good cheap water if there is not enough rain.  That involves water rights.  You can have creeks, ditches and canals running through your property and you can not take from them.  Here in Idaho you can even have springs on your property that you can not use with out filing on them for livestock use or domestic.  Not having water means hauling potable water many miles over many times rough dusty roads.  Then do you want to put up with rough dusty roads?  Rough dusty roads in the summer times some times means impassable muddy roads in the winter.  Especially if they never freeze up enough to drive over.  'One of the benefits of cold weather.'

I would say you have a vision and a desire.  For it to be brought to birth will require a lot of planing.  From what do want to raise and equipment needed, to what kind of dwelling are you willing to live in.  Is there a market in the area for what you want to bring to sell?  Be it raspberries or hand crafted wooden chairs.  Be it hand made quilts to hand crafted cheeses you can have produce and product.  However if no one has the need nor desire to buy then reward is greatly diminished.  Not killed because then you might start looking to other outlets.                   

Ya right now I am just making a list of criteria I would like or I am considering. Water or at lest a good amount of rain or a well is starting to be one of those. I was considering buying land in a desert, and I still am, yet it would take a lot more work. I have several more years until I do buy land so I thought I would get started now on what I want or where. Thanks for the advice.

OlJarhead

Eastern WA has a fair amount (or had) of land in the $1k-$2k range per acre.

Check dirt-cheap-dirt.com