Home Accessories - handmade -  built-ins etc.

Started by glenn-k, March 21, 2006, 01:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cecilia

It's been a while since I popped in to see how you're all doing here, but finally I've managed to find some time to add photos of Jonni's new table he made at The Duckpond

You'll find the photos here:
http://www.duckpond-design.com.au/theduckpond/emerginghouse60.htm

Now I shall go and look around to see what everyone's been up to since my last visit.

Cecilia Sharpley (Healesville, Australia)

www.duckpond-design.com.au/theduckpond
www.duckpondpress.com.au
Life's too short to stuff mushrooms!

PEG688

Nice work by all hands! Welcome back!

Whats type of timber / wood  is it made of?
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Redoverfarm

Nice work cecilia.  I know Jonni's proud of that.

Ernest T. Bass

Awesome! I need to try and make something like that for ourselves..

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

Sassy

We've got some very talented people on this forum!

Good to hear from you, Cecilia!  Your place looks awesome!  Did you end up covering your earth floors with tile?  I remember when you were tamping the floors - we're in the process of putting in the floors downstairs - will be CBRI light duty concrete floor (Glenn's written about it in the Underground cabin thread).  We are going to have to re-do the floors in the 1st part of the house - we have big tree roots growing under it in several places causing the floor to crack so is a real mess to keep the broken parts of the floor from crumbling all over  [frus] 

Andrew, I really like your rocking bench & couch - it all looks really nice!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

cecilia

Hi Peg

Not sure who you were asking "what timber is it made from", but if it was about Jonni's refectory table, then the timber for the top was sold to us as messmate (which we have on many of our walls), but we don't think it is. The legs were made from yellow box (eucalypt).

Sassy, our floors are covered with ceramic tiles. They never were earth floors (which would have been lovely), as we built the house on three separate concrete slabs, with only three penetrations of the slab (covered by termi-mesh). Termites are bad in these parts and I often find them in old logs in the garden. We have to maintain a visible edge of the slab and check that regularly to make the dear little critters aren't building mud tunnels up the walls to get to the timber posts and window frames. So far so good!

Once Jonni has finished building his remaining raised vegie garden beds, he'll design and build my garden shed. He'd like to do a few things that he wasn't game to incorporate into the house, as we'd never built anything before and thought we'd better not be too ambitious. So now I've decided not to have the garden shed built up the back of the property, but put it right in the garden fairly close to the pond. Am thinking of earth floor in there.

Down here I've seen some beautiful floors where some sort of coloured stones have been mixed with concrete and then ground down and polished so the finished floor is a mottled effect with the various shades and colours of the stones. Of course if it's overdone it can look awful!

Love the rustic furniture - I keep saving pieces of timber and sticks so Jonni can make me a few rustic benches to put in the garden. At the moment I'm happy to have a few upended lengths of log to sit on.

all the best to everyone from The Duckpond
cecilia

www.duckpond-design.com.au/theduckpond
Life's too short to stuff mushrooms!

Thejapster

PEG688

Little VG Fir mantel,

Still in work on it , hope to install it next weekend,

What they have existing ,

Cardboard template for design / decision making reasons.

Pre fitting to the stone, I figured with all the scribing I needed to do pre fitting was wise

Disasembled for the trip back to the shop ,

MountainDon

Oooo! Nice. Excellent scribing. Looks like the wood grew around the stones.  :D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Nice work Peg.  Shame they didn't decide to do that at the time they laid the stone it would have cut the price considerably.  I have a friend that is going to T&G a ceiling adjacent to a stone flue.  I had a hard time conveniencing him not to run the stone all the way to the ridge until the T&G on the ceiling was installed.  IMO it just makes a neater job and a lot less aggrevating. 

PEG688

Thanks. They're about ten years into the house. I think at the time they didn't know what they wanted and that tile mantel was what they / contractor / home owners / tile guy maybe came up with. A lot of potential 'bad decisions' happen near the end of jobs , people just want to be "Done making decisions" which seem endless , colors , tile selections floor coverings cabinets , plumbing details etc etc etc.  So they 'pull the trigger'  on some odd things once in awhile.   

Yes,  it would have been easier to bring the stone to the wood and grout it, but hey it's work :)   It's all good.

PEG688

Got-er Done ,

View from above , 2nd floor balcony,

MountainDon

[cool]    Looks great!  Is that one of your pieces just to the left?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

Quote from: MountainDon on May 22, 2010, 10:35:26 PM

[cool]    Looks great!  Is that one of your pieces just to the left?

Thanks , nope  just the mantel. 

Sassy

Wow, that's a beauty!  Great scribing - I bet they were really pleased with it! 

PEG688

Quote from: Sassy on May 23, 2010, 12:02:00 AM

Wow, that's a beauty!  Great scribing - I bet they were really pleased with it! 

They seemed to be, they payed me $200.00 more than the bill I gave them.

Pine Cone

Peg - Very nice work on the mantel.  You are quite the craftsman!  I've done my share of scribing, but nothing that complex.

Here is my latest effort, a blanket chest made from pine boards milled off my cabin logs.  The idea was to mimic the look of the cabin.  It has casters on the corners so that I can roll it around.  It makes pretty fair bench to sit on, and we will be able to roll it under the table to give us more room if needed.

Here is the cabin...

Here is the chest from the front

From a diagonal

A with the lid opened

After the finish (Minwax WipeOn Poly over a water-based dye) is though curing I will put some red cedar in the bottom to give it that cedar-chest smell.

Sassy

PEG688

New fountain for the garden,

The barrel had to take up some , after 12 hours it held the water well, she was leakin a might right outta the gate.

PEG688

Chuck Adze

Wow....some beautiful work on this thread.
I wish I was here earlier.

Here are a couple photos of a kitchen I built from scratch for the wife.
Mortise and tenon doors, pegged.
Flat panel, mixed maple, wash coat of stain.
Full extension shelves in the base cabs, so its easier for her to get the pots and pans out etc.
We also did the leaded glass windows ourselves, with double glue chip.
I assempled them and she soldered them.
They go to the ceiling.

The tall cabinet to the right is a pantry cabinet with full extension storage shelves (she loved this one).

Sink counter.  The two spot lights above the sink I made out of old brass plumbing traps and oar locks (she really likes those);

Chuck Adze

Here is a closer shot of the recycled plumbing parts and oar lock spot lamps.
I have made other lights too.

MountainDon

Redoverfarm

What species of wood was used.  Appears to be maple.

Chuck Adze

Yes it is....mostly mixed soft maples (variety), although I did used some hard maple.
The shelves are mostly tulip.

I used to be able to get rough KD hardwood for .80 - 1.25 a bd. ft. depending on grade.

I really like your dogtrot project.